Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I remember that being shown on RTE.. One grim film particularly the ending.

must be at least twenty years since it was shown ?

And of course the worst Irish film of all time Charlie Cassanova.

It's not art but it's pretty sure it is.

Adam and Paul ?

Realistic, depressing and poignant!
    Two junkies on a meaning less journey around Dublin. meet up with ex-junkies, hungry tired cold and wet. Misery personified.

and yet the only time Mark o Halloran has ever been remotely sympathetic as opposed to the insufferable full time SJW he is the rest of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You're not even at the races with Charlie Cassanova...this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114918395&postcount=18 is without doubt the worst Irish film ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement

I know I'm name-dropping an Irish film for the sake of it being Irish, and that it's not really forgotten.
    But Flight of the Doves. Was always on around St Patricks Day. I remember when I was a youngster, one scene used to freak me out. when one of the youngsters spotted a tattoo on the baddie, and pushed him into the sea. I think it was from a lighthouse. The details are a bit sketchy, but it was something like that.

ron moody played the villian , jack wild one of the kids

sports anchor and former irish athlete Brendan reilly played a detective , its crap but not the worst irish silly movie ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 24,621 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Cal - with Helen Mirren and John Lynch

Also heavily features the music " The Long Road " made by Mark Knopfler.

It's essentially The Crying Game except Helen doesn't have a willy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Last September - filmed here based on an Elizabeth Bowen novel set during the War of Independence.

A lot of the main cast apart from Michael Gambon & Fiona Shaw were imports - Keeley Hawes, David Tennant, Maggie Smith.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Zebra3 wrote: »

I remember TG4 airing that over Christmas, was either on Christmas Day or Stephens Day I think.

I'm starting to notice that Colm Meaney pops up in the cast for a lot of these forgotten movies.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's essentially The Crying Game except Helen doesn't have a willy

she sure does not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    must be at least twenty years since it was shown ?

RTE showed it circa 1986 very soon after it was released. I saw it again sometime in the 90s probably again on RTE. Haven't seen it since.

Wasnt the director posting on Boards at one point?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I remember TG4 airing that over Christmas, was either on Christmas Day or Stephens Day I think.

I'm starting to notice that Colm Meaney pops up in the cast for a lot of these forgotten movies.

Based on a stage play called Kings Of The Kilburn High Road.

Trojan Eddie. Brendan Gleeson as a traveller who offs Charlo from Family with a slash hook.

The Honeymooners (2003), about a guy jilted at the altar who goes ahead with the honeymoon on his own.

Think I got it as a free DVD in the Sunday Times.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375819/

Zebra3 wrote: »

Just read through 13 pages thinking aha no one has mentioned Kings yet and I get beat to it on the last page.

Great little film and got mention on release because it was bilingual but was quickly forgotten after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Barry Lyndon was about an Irish rogue who climbed the social ladder in the 18th century. It is a film by Stanley Kubrick and one of my favourite films. About half of it is filmed in Ireland.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Barry Lyndon was about an Irish rogue who climbed the social ladder in the 18th century. It is a film by Stanley Kubrick and one of my favourite films. About half of it is filmed in Ireland.

I think if it had been by any other director it'd have been forgotten, but it gets mentioned in retrospectives of Kubrick's career - especially the filming of scenes by candlelight.
    Very few Irish in the cast, I don't think Ryan O'Neal counts despite the name :)

• Advertisement

Can't believe we all forgot this one.
    Great costume for Halloween if you don't mind the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One not mentioned so far is Pursuit, with Barry Ward, Ruth Bradley & Liam Cunningham, think Brendan Gleeson had a small part in it too. Remember seeing it one evening on TG4. Remember them flying around in VRS Skoda Octavias, was like the film was sponsored by Skoda at one stage there was that many of them.

Another one going back a bit further was Alarm, also with Ruth Bradley. Think that was one I saw on TG4 a few years back too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Angela Mooney Dies Again. Only saw the trailer but didn't look promising.

Spaghetti Slow. Brendan Gleeson was in it but cant remember much about it.

Snakes And Ladders. For some reason I thought Ed Byrne was in it but looking it up dont see his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

I remember vaguely a movie about two Dublin flatmates, early 20s and a covered-up murder. No idea what it was called.

That has to be "A Film With Me In It".

Pretty good movie too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Film_with_Me_in_It

We also got biopics and based ons of Martin Cahill with "The General" and "Ordinary Decent Criminal"

And Veronica Guerin with "Veronica Guerin" and "When The Sky Falls"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

DvB wrote: »
    One not mentioned so far is Pursuit, with Barry Ward, Ruth Bradley & Liam Cunningham, think Brendan Gleeson had a small part in it too. Remember seeing it one evening on TG4. Remember them flying around in VRS Skoda Octavias, was like the film was sponsored by Skoda at one stage there was that many of them.

I'm usually fairly forgiving with Irish movies but that one was absolute scutter of the highest order. Was shocked Gleeson, Ward and Bradley would be associated with such a z-list movie.

It was like something a secondary school student would make.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Zardoz (1974)

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Zardoz.jpg[/QUOTE

Excalibur count? Also by John Boorman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's not forgotten, but I can't believe 'The Field' hasn't has a Blu Ray release yet.

Thing is, most so called "Irish" films are anything but. They usually have a majority financial input from abroad.

I visited the field itself (the one in the film) a few weeks ago. There’s someone living in the widows cottage now - it was unoccupied when I last went up there about 20 years ago. Myself and a few friends did a ‘Field’ road trip back then, visited all the locations we could. We were big fans. Harris was our god!

I visited the field itself (the one in the film) a few weeks ago. There’s someone living in the widows cottage now - it was unoccupied when I last went up there about 20 years ago. Myself and a few friends did a ‘Field’ road trip back then, visited all the locations we could. We were big fans. Harris was our god!

It better not have been some dirty yank in that cottage

• Advertisement

E mac wrote: »
    Excalibur count? Also by John Boorman

I hope that's not been forgotten... parts of it are wonderful fantasy, with hints of the Lord of the Rings adaptation Boorman wanted to make.
    Second half get a bit too out there perhaps.

Advertisement