Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any “sold a pup” experiences?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bought a ram that turned out to be gay. He rode the hole of the older ram but no interest in the girls.

I've known a few roosters who thought they were hens ....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It keeps the knackerys going at least six months of the year. I think a lot of vets use the disease when they don't know what killed the animal

Are you thinking of tetany?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Base price wrote: »
    A long story as short as I can make it :)

I bought my first pbr heifer many years ago at the tender age of 19. She was 18 months old and was going to be the foundation of my new pbr herd. When I went to look at her she was in a well bedded shed and the seller and I went into the shed to have a look at her. She was a nice quite heifer and the seller walked up to her, put a halter on her and tied her to a gate. She had great length, deep in the rib and a good end although her tail was set a bit high but I allowed her that. Anyway I bought her, loaded her on the trailer and headed home. Unloaded her into a pen in the shed when I got home later that night that I had made especially for her so that the other cattle wouldn't annoy her. I gave her a few nuts in a bucket and few forks of hay. Early the following morning I went to admire my new purchase and she ran to the far side of the pen, no worries I said to myself she is just nervous cause she is in a new place. I rattled a bucket of nuts but she wouldn't come near me so I left them in the corner and headed to work. Later that evening when I got home from work I walked to the gate with a bucket nuts and she came full force at me. In my innocence/stupidity I thought she was still upset with the move to a new place. I leaned over the gate to drop in the bucket of nuts and she hit the bucket with her head before it touched the ground.

I phoned a friend who was a local livestock farmer to ask his advice. He came to have a look at her and as he was walking up to the gate to look at her she hit the gate a full force. He recommended that I phone the seller, return her and get my money back. I phoned the seller when I got back to the house (no mobile phones in those days) but no answer. I phoned him the following day several times from work and he eventually answered. I told him what happened and he said that he never had a problem with her and she was quiet when he showed her to me. He reminded me that he put a halter on her when I looked at her and basically it wasn't his problem. My friend suggested that I should get my Vet to have a look at her. I phoned my Vet the following day, told him the story and within seconds he said that she was probably injected with Rompum or a simular drug by the seller but he would examine her in the crush to rule out any anatomical problems.

I had to get my brothers to help me get her into the crush cause she tried to jump/plough through every gate. The Vet gave her the all clear but he said that there wasn't any option to have blood analysis done for livestock although it was available for bloodstock at that time.

TBH I was distraught after paying IR£1750 of hard earned money for her.
    What a terrible thing to do to a young lady starting out, A friend of mine was like yourself decided to get in to PB Suffolk sheep, jesus they nearly robbed him the only one that made money out of them was the vet. They all had big single lambs with a massive head and had to be cut out of them never again he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Grueller

kerryjack wrote: »
    What a terrible thing to do to a young lad starting out, A friend of mine was like yourself decided to get in to PB Suffolk sheep, jesus they nearly robbed him the only one that made money out of them was the vet. They all had big single lambs with a massive head and had to be cut out of them never again he said.

Base price is a lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Grueller wrote: »
    Base price is a lady.

Thanks edited post above and apologies for any offence caused to all parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Jb1989

kerryjack wrote: »
    Thanks edited post above and apologies for any offence caused to all parties.

The sex of base doesn't change the sentiment of your post. No offence caused.

Base , how did it end up did you have to keep her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

A neighbour of mine bought 2 dozen ewe lambs off a lad. Come scanning time half of them turned out to be wethers! I know buyer beware and all that but seems like downright dishonesty to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Base , how did it end up did you have to keep her?
    Yes, I put her in with other cattle and she settled a bit after. She stopped charging at me but when you went into the field to herd she would get up (if lying down) and move away from the rest of the herd. Her calves were sharp too and I never registered any of them. She was a very expensive suckler cow but I learned a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

arctictree wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine bought 2 dozen ewe lambs off a lad. Come scanning time half of them turned out to be wethers! I know buyer beware and all that but seems like downright dishonesty to me.

It's dishonest alright but the neighbours fault also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Bought a caravan, a few bits that he didn't point out to me. I didn't know much about them at the time, cost 6k probably worth about 5k but maybe got off light from some of the story's I have heard about caravan dealers. OH got it in the head to buy one so I blame her when anything goes wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Jd310 wrote: »
    No don't think so they've been about a right while at this stage

So how do they make their money? A raffle in other words, with people subscribing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I bought a MF 188 to draw silage, first load the bolts bolting the the PUH under the back axle pulled out, then the engine didn't warm up someone had taken the thermostat out, I put in a thermostat and when the engine warmed up, the oil pressure dropped, Hence my motto
    '' If you can't afford it new, you can't afford it at all''
    It was only for crop spraying and drawing silage, I worked it on for years as it was, after fixing the pick up hitch and throwing away the thermostat of course, It must've been years here after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Around 2006 I bought an old petrol Seat Ibiza from a dodgy dealer near Finglas which promptly started to over heat.
    I thought id chance it to work as I had no other lift, from Ashbourne to Sandyford Ind Est, Beacon court.
    It made it there just going on fire as I neared the gate.
    I left it where it calved in the Industrial Estate, sold it as it was, an eastern european lad on the job bought it off me. He slept in it for a week or 2, emerging every morning for work.
    One Friday it was towed away and arrived back the following week with a newly fitted engine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

arctictree wrote: »

Same thing happened to me at the mart in 2015. They were the first store lambs I bought.

Auctioneer announced them as all ewe lambs and I didn't take that much notice until 2 months later when a cousin came over to help pick out a few for the butcher. He advised keeping a few and leaving them to the ram.

Which ones do you want to keep, he said?

Any of them, I said, they're all ewe lambs.

Almost on cue, one started wee-ing from its belly!

We checked and 10 out of 17 were wethers. It worked out though and the 7 ewe lambs we kept all went in lamb. That was our first year back farming after 14 years away. 4 of those 7 are still here.

I still smile when I think of seeing the wee coming out of the ewe lamb's belly!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Grueller wrote: »
    Base price is a lady.

Ohhhh that's pushing it....
    female def
    Lady........eeeeehhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ohhhh that's pushing it....
    female def
    Lady........eeeeehhhh
    I scrub up quite well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bought a ram that turned out to be gay. He rode the hole of the older ram but no interest in the girls.

Offer him to the crowd that bought Benjy the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    I scrub up quite well :)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Dodged a bullet a few weeks ago. I'd been looking for a jeep for about a month after the head went in my own. There was nothing good local so when a clean looking example appeared on a franchise dealers site we inquired. The money was right, just passed its DOE and with low mileage, only drawback was the location, 2 & 3/4 hours away. We asked the dealer for an in depth detailed review of the jeep and said if we were travelling that distance it'd be with the intention to bring it home so it better be 100%. We were assured it was so we hit the road

When we landed the bodywork wasn't as good as described but acceptable for the age and more than adequate for a farm jeep. When we started her there was no throttle for the first 10-15 secs and the engine management light was on. We stopped and started her and locked and unlocked her to see if the light would go out. Nope. She was clean enough underneath and nice to drive but intermittently lost the throttle. We brought her back to the garage and told the seller of the issues and that we wouldn't be taking her. He was shocked as she had only passed the DOE two days earlier. On the way home my friend said I was blessed that the light came on in his yard.

The next day the dealer rang and said he had his mechanic check it out and that it was a stuck EGR valve, a cheap €70 fix and he'd drop €500 off the price and meet me half way on the road. Alarm bells rang again, he was prepared to lose €500 on €70 fix. Thanked him but decided to pass. That was three weeks ago and its still for sale at the higher price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Back around 1995 as a young lad i decided to buy 3 imported dutch holstein heifer calves. Having spent 3 months in holland for my work experience a couple of years earlier i got to like that more extreme type of animal. Any way time passed and i was'nt seeing them come in heat. Turned out they were all free martins. Was desperatly disappointed. It took the guts of 18 months and lots help from the guy i did my placement with in holland( He threatened to report the dutch company to the livestock department(NRS)) before i got fully compensated. Absolute cowboys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Few years ago I bought a Skoda Fabia in a bit of a hurry as my other car was on its last legs (wheels). Anyway I paid €3,500 for it from a so-called reputable garage. I noticed a small judder in it when it was idling. I brought it back to the garage and was told something major (can't remember the exact name) was gone and it was going to cost me €3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

KatyMac wrote: »
    Few years ago I bought a Skoda Fabia in a bit of a hurry as my other car was on its last legs (wheels). Anyway I paid €3,500 for it from a so-called reputable garage. I noticed a small judder in it when it was idling. I brought it back to the garage and was told something major (can't remember the exact name) was gone and it was going to cost me €3,000.

What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I bought a PB heifer many moons ago over in the east of the country. I had a good conversation with the man over the phone and picked a heifer incalf from a mother with very good yields and solids. I had a good look at her when I went down before I decided to buy her and had a look at a full sister and her mother, all 3 were good looking animals so I came away with her, happy with the deal.

Anyway, she calved the following spring but she never really came into milk, solids were good but the yields well back on what was expected. Went in calf again and I was more hopeful the next year as I reckon she might have needed the year to settle in and sometimes it's in the second lactation heifers come into themselves.

Nope, nowhere near where she should be.

Put it down to just bad luck.

Anyway, a few years later, I was talking to a woman at the ploughing and I said I had bought a poor performer a while before from the breed we were looking at. From X, she asked? Yeah, said I.

Turns out he was supposedly milk recording with a slightly larger hole drilled in his milk meters to push up his yields and had to sell out when it became known.

Lesson learned, I have only bought one female since and luckily she was a good one.

Heard of a local pedigree suckler breeder, she sold an in calf heifer to someone. She calved down with no milk. When the buyer went back to her she just said. If she had it she'd give it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Similar story to Base price's. I got into pedigree breeding when I bought my first pedigree heifer at a high profile sale. She bred all bulls and they all sold well for me. At last, she had a lovely heifer this year, so delighted with that.

Anyway went back to a sale a couple of years later and spotted a smasher of a weanling heifer from the same breeder. She sold for €3,500. I didn't buy at the sale. Two years later and spotted a heifer of identical breeding but bred by ET.
    I ended up buying her. I knew when I went to her in the pen she was a little flightly. Walked her to the box by halter and away home. I suppose not used to halters, I opened the side door of the box to open the halter and she came flying out against me. Brother ran to get a knife, as she was half in, half out with her head pulled back fully. Cut the rope and off she went up the field. She ended up standing up in the middle of the cows and I just walked up to her and took off the halter.

I put her in-calf and she held. Nine months later and I knew she might act up at calving as she was always a bit mad. As bad luck would have it, I ended up travelling with work to the USA, so left the brother in charge. I was gone for about a week so explained exactly what to do. Check her pins, put her in with other cows , if pins drop etc. He wasn't exactly listening to me and just said 'I'll ring you if I have a problem'. I texted him late at night messing 'Are the legs out yet' . He rang me back effing and blinding, saying she had driven him out backwards over a barb wire fence. She was calving and he tried to stand her up. He just left her and wouldn't go back out, 'as it was raining'.

I got home anyway and headed down the field. As I approached her, she just looked to the right for the calf, looked to the left and hit the accelerator. There was a gate to my right, on the ground and lying a bit to the side. I jumped out over it. Never put a foot on it. What really got to me was, she never showed any signs of aggression like cows normally do, no head shaking, no agitation, just came at me full speed. I eventually got her in with other cows but she just kept charging the gate. I let her out again after a week thinking she would quieten down but she never did. Another cow calved that week and I was in a hole in the hedge checking the calf to see if it had drank. The calf let out a roar when I tried to stand it. This time I hit the accelerator. :D. As I came out there she was coming down the field full speed. She very nearly caught up with me but I made it in over a wall. Patsy wanted to hold on to his 3rd life so I put her in a shed with the calf, put a padlock on the door and fattened her. Even a neighbour of mine who knew another breeder said he might be interested in buying her. I said 'No way, I'd shoot her first.'

As for ICBF, they had the bitch on the bottom 1% of the Limousin breed. I've been a fan of the docility index, ever since :)

Anyway, I kept her heifer calf and while she is a bit nervous around strangers, she is lovely and quiet with me. She in turn has had heifers since. The first one she bred is now in calf. She is a a complete pet. She will let a stranger rub her in the field.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement