Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any “sold a pup” experiences?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

The farm sayings thread got me thinking about the above. Most of my farm dealings have been positive experiences but lots of tyre kickers too! Have you any stories of buying something that didn’t live up to expectations?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    The farm sayings thread got me thinking about the above. Most of my farm dealings have been positive experiences but lots of tyre kickers too! Have you any stories of buying something that didn’t live up to expectations?

Bought a horse as a disabled rider . The seller was a front for a dealer and was chronically lame . Had been abused in its past so terrified of men too . Had to destroy it within 6 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mossie1975 wrote: »

Not a pup as such but I bought two ducks at the 15th of August fair in Kenmare a few years ago to add to my menagerie.

Opened the transport cage to leave them out in the run and they both took off like they were fired out of a catapult over the hill and never to be seen again.

I told my Dad about it afterwards and he reckoned they could have been heavily disguised homing pigeons.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Bought a ram, ram got sick within 6 days, pneumonia. Rang breeder who had said he'd been vaccinated. Come back and I'll loan you 2 ram lambs as cover. Ok. Lamb 1 pneumonia within 10 days. Lamb 2 went so lame he couldn't walk. Rang breeder, bring them back, I loan you two more. Next two, lamb 1 pneumonia within a week very nearly died. Lamb 2 get's meningitis and does die, after I spend hundreds on him with vet at breeders request. Out of all five they tipped **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad bought a ram at a fair years ago. It died the next day. At the next fair he went to the seller and said your ram died. The seller said , sorry son your ram died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bought a handle for my small grinder on e-bay for €1.50. Opened the box and it was in bits. You'd think coming from China, the quality would have been better. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bought a handle for my small grinder on e-bay for €1.50. Opened the box and it was in bits. You'd think coming from China, the quality would have been better. :D

Any sign of the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jesus patsy, a small grinder is thinner than a pint glass why would you need a handle?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Jesus patsy, a small grinder is thinner than a pint glass why would you need a handle?

Safety. Ended up using a long M10 bolt instead.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bought a bull a few years back off a large breeder, was given every guarantee under the sun when buying him. Had him home a few days and spotted a very large wart on the tip of his rod, rang the breeder and he pretty much told me to f off for myself. I gave the vets 200e to remove it and he bulled 2 cows after and then he broke his rod. I made sure he didn't sell any bull around here after. A miserable fcuker that I'll never forget for it. I was only a young lad starting out at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The parents used buy loads of crap sold door to door; home alarm that broke after a year, insurance, fire extinguishers...all the bucks that sold those wouldn't be seen for dust afterwards... not to mention ****ty farm gates.

Never entertain anything offered door to door, it's rarely anything good.

• Advertisement

The parents used buy loads of crap sold door to door; home alarm that broke after a year, insurance, fire extinguishers...all the bucks that sold those wouldn't be seen for dust afterwards... not to mention ****ty farm gates.

Never entertain anything offered door to door, it's rarely anything good.

That's the good thing about covid, none of these salespeople calling around. Although I did have one lad called at milking time last week. Are you supposed to drop everything to talk to them?

Bought a bull a few years back off a large breeder, was given every guarantee under the sun when buying him. Had him home a few days and spotted a very large wart on the tip of his rod, rang the breeder and he pretty much told me to f off for myself. I gave the vets 200e to remove it and he bulled 2 cows after and then he broke his rod. I made sure he didn't sell any bull around here after. A miserable fcuker that I'll never forget for it. I was only a young lad starting out at the time.

I bought 10 calved heifers, lost most of them to ragwort poisoning. When I went back to the seller, who was my cousin, he said not my problem. Went to court, I won. Was at too much of a loss to let it go as I'd culled cows when I bought these in so was down alot. Same as you when I was buying them, they were the best thing since sliced bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Bought a Vauxhall cavalier back in the day think it was early 90s turbo diesel, looked lovely drive lovely but was some heap of ****te, car was badly smashed before I bought it, stuck back together badly and was a death trap, I had to scrap it sold the engine out of it ,At least the NCT put a lot of these death traps off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭endainoz

whelan2 wrote: »
    I bought 10 calved heifers, lost most of them to ragwort poisoning. When I went back to the seller, who was my cousin, he said not my problem. Went to court, I won. Was at too much of a loss to let it go as I'd culled cows when I bought these in so was down alot. Same as you when I was buying them, they were the best thing since sliced bread.

That's a strange one, did they not know to avoid the ragwort or what?

endainoz wrote: »
    That's a strange one, did they not know to avoid the ragwort or what?

They were put into a field that had been sprayed and wasn't left long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

My first car. A Renault “megavan”
    Nothing mega about it at all.
    Rims were made of cheese and would buckle at the sight of a pothole.
    To make things worse the wheel nuts would weld themselves to the rim so you couldn’t change the inevitable flats. Called out a lad to help me and he broke a good Teng ratchet trying to get one but off.

Turbo went twice and clutch died on the motorway.

All in the space of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

My father in law sold me a pup!!!!!!
    Turned out to be the best sheepdog we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Guy I bought a bull off got a fancy replacement beforehand that lasted all of 20 mins. He took a heart attack coming off the trailer and out into the field. Incredible. I felt so sorry I gave him an extra €500 (got ya!) but that did happen the bull.
    The best replacement failed away to nothing when he put him with cows. He reckons previous owner pumped him with eggs and all sorts so when he was on a grass diet he didn’t cope. Had to get rid again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bought a horse as a disabled rider . The seller was a front for a dealer and was chronically lame . Had been abused in its past so terrified of men too . Had to destroy it within 6 months .

Sorry to hear that.

Have to ask - did you get a full vetting done by a horse vet?

Absolutely necessary when buying a horse. That and bring along someone who knows what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

https://culchiecomps.com/

As per seen in IFJ - a scam presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Belongamick

Bought a cow who was due her third calf off a well known farmer in the area. My family had a bit of hard luck with cows and this seemed ideal - owner even agreed to keep cow until she calved.
    Cow arrived with calf and all was well for a couple of days until she was clearly unwell. Vet called - milk fever. Could not save her in the end - approached seller who did not want to know. Calf made a very good animal but it was tough to take the attitude of the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Bought a cow who was due her third calf off a well known farmer in the area. My family had a bit of hard luck with cows and this seemed ideal - owner even agreed to keep cow until she calved.
    Cow arrived with calf and all was well for a couple of days until she was clearly unwell. Vet called - milk fever. Could not save her in the end - approached seller who did not want to know. Calf made a very good animal but it was tough to take the attitude of the seller.
    That was just more bad luck really, seller not at any fault in this instance.

Cows don't normally die of milk fever,do they?

Fair is fair. Cow getting milk fever had nothing to do with the seller. Just your bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭cjpm

they would if they weren't treated in time

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

MfMan wrote: »
    https://culchiecomps.com/

As per seen in IFJ - a scam presumably?

No don't think so they've been about a right while at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Only ever witnessed one case of milk fever, cow laying prone on ground. Rang the Vet who said to get calcium from a nearby dairy farmer and inject it under her skin until he arrived. Vet administered calcium Intravenously - in no length of time she came to, got up and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Bought a ram that turned out to be gay. He rode the hole of the older ram but no interest in the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭older by the day

It keeps the knackerys going at least six months of the year. I think a lot of vets use the disease when they don't know what killed the animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A long story as short as I can make it :)

I bought my first pbr heifer many years ago at the tender age of 19. She was 18 months old and was going to be the foundation of my new pbr herd. When I went to look at her she was in a well bedded shed and the seller and I went into the shed to have a look at her. She was a nice quite heifer and the seller walked up to her, put a halter on her and tied her to a gate. She had great length, deep in the rib and a good end although her tail was set a bit high but I allowed her that. Anyway I bought her, loaded her on the trailer and headed home. Unloaded her into a pen in the shed when I got home later that night that I had made especially for her so that the other cattle wouldn't annoy her. I gave her a few nuts in a bucket and few forks of hay. Early the following morning I went to admire my new purchase and she ran to the far side of the pen, no worries I said to myself she is just nervous cause she is in a new place. I rattled a bucket of nuts but she wouldn't come near me so I left them in the corner and headed to work. Later that evening when I got home from work I walked to the gate with a bucket nuts and she came full force at me. In my innocence/stupidity I thought she was still upset with the move to a new place. I leaned over the gate to drop in the bucket of nuts and she hit the bucket with her head before it touched the ground.

I phoned a friend who was a local livestock farmer to ask his advice. He came to have a look at her and as he was walking up to the gate to look at her she hit the gate a full force. He recommended that I phone the seller, return her and get my money back. I phoned the seller when I got back to the house (no mobile phones in those days) but no answer. I phoned him the following day several times from work and he eventually answered. I told him what happened and he said that he never had a problem with her and she was quiet when he showed her to me. He reminded me that he put a halter on her when I looked at her and basically it wasn't his problem. My friend suggested that I should get my Vet to have a look at her. I phoned my Vet the following day, told him the story and within seconds he said that she was probably injected with Rompum or a simular drug by the seller but he would examine her in the crush to rule out any anatomical problems.

I had to get my brothers to help me get her into the crush cause she tried to jump/plough through every gate. The Vet gave her the all clear but he said that there wasn't any option to have blood analysis done for livestock although it was available for bloodstock at that time.

TBH I was distraught after paying IR£1750 of hard earned money for her.

Advertisement