Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could science ever bring back the dinosaurs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s pretty obvious that they can.

Do ye not remember Jurassic Park 1 where the fat IT dropped the shaving can full of embryos.

That will be found.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let's say it were possible, then you run into a few problems, not least of which is the air we breathe today. Back in the age of dinosaurs there was a significantly higher percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. So for the bigger ones, well anything much beyond dog sized you're running into problems of not enough O2 for them to breathe. Then there are diseases around now that weren't around then. Temperatures could be another problem as again back in their day the earth was hotter than it is today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

It's pity they don't try to bring back some species that died out more recently due to human activity like the thylacine or dodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wibbs wrote: »
    Let's say it were possible, then you run into a few problems, not least of which is the air we breathe today. Back in the age of dinosaurs there was a significantly higher percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. So for the bigger ones, well anything much beyond dog sized you're running into problems of not enough O2 for them to breathe. Then there are diseases around now that weren't around then. Temperatures could be another problem as again back in their day the earth was hotter than it is today.

We'll sort that out.
    Global warming,
    more CO2 more plants,
    more plants more oxygen....
    ????
    Profit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

If we start selectively breeding very large birds like ostriches and emus with particular interest in excessively large or aggressive specimens we might be on our way towards it.

I have no idea why we would want to do that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lads, there's been a series of film about why this would be a very bad idea.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some don't.

It's not like we're going to put dinosaurs in the zoo or seaworld or some sh1t.

There could be some in the zoo, like we do with elephants. And the super rich could have them as pets. They could afford to pay someone to take them for walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Mr. DNA reckons it can be done so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

There could be some in the zoo, like we do with elephants. And the super rich could have them as pets. They could afford to pay someone to take them for walks.

Sounds amazing. I like to walk my elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Do you think there's a possibility that a species resembling the dinosaurs might exist on another planet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Feisar wrote: »
    If they can grow an ear on a rats back I'm sure it is possible.

A human ear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

1990sman wrote: »
    if they find some insect that was sucking their blood then somehow got preserved in amber or something, piece of cake, they could bring them all back and even make up new ones. maybe set up some sort of reserve on an island where people could visit...

I'm stealing you're movie idea

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if someone does bring back a t-rex the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere is going to be pretty far down the list of problems that people raise.

I've seen this movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

awec wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if someone does bring back a t-rex the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere is going to be pretty far down the list of problems that people raise.

I've seen this movie.

raptor_fences.png
    https://xkcd.com/758/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A human ear ?

Well, it was a human ear shape. Roughly.

They grew cartilage on a mouse’s back around an ear-shaped framework, and used a mould on the outside to make it look like an ear. It looks freaky, but is not an actual human ear, it wouldn’t have grown that shape if it wasn’t confined to the mould, and they didn’t even use human cells. The cartilage cells came from a cow.

300px-Vacanti_mouse.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacanti_mouse

It’s been done on rats since, but with the same technique.

Advertisement