Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming Gardai

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Anywhoo, back on topic. Is filming outside a Garda station on a public path ok, or would that garner some unnecessary attention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

.anon. wrote: »
    Don't worry, it was only a joke. I don't really think you might be a guard. A guard would be able to discern the difference between some cheeky little runt and someone who was likely to glass him. That's not you shouting and cheering them on in the video and asking random people if they'd also like to be arrested, though, is it? :eek:

It's one of the first things they say in the video. My guess, based on previous experiences, is that one of them (probably not one of the two arguing) sneakily flung a bottle out the window as the guards arrived on the platform and then ran off to 'hide' down the carriage. Every group of idiots has one member who's an even bigger idiot than the rest of them.

another poor effort at an insult ?

you never said ? what you would do if bottles were being thrown at you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    another poor effort at an insult ?

you never said ? what you would do if bottles were being thrown at you ?

It has happened. I ducked. They missed. I was at work at the time, driving a bus, and made the mistake of going upstairs to tell a group of teenagers to stop being a nuisance. I chose not to request Garda assistance because I didn't feel it merited wasting their time, and was worried that getting them involved would potentially make the situation worse. I got revenge by driving half a mile past their stop. And then they got revenge by opening the middle doors from the outside, thus rendering the bus immobile until they got bored.

I've also (back on topic) had people record me on their phones while arguing with me. Most recently, it was someone who didn't want to wear a mask. I politely reminded him that we were surrounded by cameras anyway, so it didn't bother me that he was recording the conversation.

It has happened. I ducked. They missed. I was at work at the time, driving a bus, and made the mistake of going upstairs to tell a group of teenagers to stop being a nuisance. I chose not to request Garda assistance because I didn't feel it merited wasting their time, and was worried that getting them involved would potentially make the situation worse. I got revenge by driving half a mile past their stop. And then they got revenge by opening the middle doors from the outside, thus rendering the bus immobile until they got bored.

I've also (back on topic) had people record me on their phones while arguing with me. Most recently, it was someone who didn't want to wear a mask. I politely reminded him that we were surrounded by cameras anyway, so it didn't bother me that he was recording the conversation.
    seems like you should have , for your passengers at least
    it would seem you actually contribute to the problem that people think its ok to act in an anti social way on pubic transport then .

a strange act for a bus driver

not sure how that is back on topic but so what ? idiots with camera's are a new well established plague

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

especially if they have a weapon , a bottle for instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

degsie wrote: »
    Anywhoo, back on topic. Is filming outside a Garda station on a public path ok, or would that garner some unnecessary attention?
    It is.

There's lots of YouTube videos of simple/freeman types doing it in the UK and waiting for a reaction.

degsie wrote: »

technically I believe it is still illegal under old anti terrorism laws but it depends on the context.

nothing wrong with popping head into station and letting them know

reporters record outside garda stations most days for rte etc

seems like you should have , for your passengers at least
    it would seem you actually contribute to the problem that people think its ok to act in an anti social way on pubic transport then .

a strange act for a bus driver

If the bottle had hit me, it would've been a different matter. I'd've needed an ambulance as well as the guards, probably. But the bus was full of rowdy kids (one of whom actually shouted 'duck!' to be fair). I didn't see which of them threw it, and I doubt the guards would've got any information from anyone. And I know from previous incidents that you can be waiting a long time for them to arrive too, so I felt that the best course of action would be to move on and fill out an incident form later.

If the bottle had hit me, it would've been a different matter. I'd've needed an ambulance as well as the guards, probably. But the bus was full of rowdy kids (one of whom actually shouted 'duck!' to be fair). I didn't see which of them threw it, and I doubt the guards would've got any information from anyone. And I know from previous incidents that you can be waiting a long time for them to arrive too, so I felt that the best course of action would be to move on and fill out an incident form later.

no camera's back then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I didn't want to say it earlier but I kind of don't believe that story I'm sorry to say. Are we talking about a bottle of coke here or a glass bottle?
    I can understand you maybe letting the situation slide if it were a plastic bottle & you didn't want to inconvenience the other passengers by calling & waiting for the guards. Thats fair enough. But the video linked here was about glass bottles being thrown.

In your post you claimed that there was, I was presuming, a glass bottle thrown at you. & you did nothing about it. All you took from it was that one of them gave you a heads up, & so the situation wasn't actually that bad after all.

What about any other passengers on the bus that time. Or were you alone with the group of them?

You also said you passed their stop too. In another situation where they were being a bit of a nuisance I would probably think that was funny & say they deserved the extra bit of a walk home. But its not a stunt I'd be pulling on a group of teenagers after they had been launching glass bottles at me. I'd want them off the bus as soon as I could & I wouldn't be antagonising them by keeping them on the bus any longer than I had too.

It must have been a coke bottle :pac:

• Advertisement

no camera's back then ?

There are loads of them, and the footage is very high quality. That's one of the reasons why I filled out an incident form - to make sure that the CCTV footage would be downloaded afterwards, should my employer choose to pass it on to the Gardai.
    I didn't want to say it earlier but I kind of don't believe that story I'm sorry to say. Are we talking about a bottle of coke here or a glass bottle?
    I can understand you maybe letting the situation slide if it were a plastic bottle & you didn't want to inconvenience the other passengers by calling & waiting for the guards. Thats fair enough. But the video linked here was about glass bottles being thrown.

No need to be sorry - I don't mind if you don't believe it. If I was making it up, I like to think I'd make it more interesting than "a bottle nearly hit me". There'd be blood everywhere. I'd throw in something heroic too, like how I turned up for work the next day after getting five stitches in the back of my head. It was an empty 200ml vodka bottle. It hit the wall of the stairs and somehow didn't break. Believe it, don't believe it. It's all good.
    What about any other passengers on the bus that time. Or were you alone with the group of them?

It was a bank holiday Monday evening at around 6pm, pre-Covid. There were around 70 passengers on the bus. A handful of 'normal' people downstairs, but mostly teenagers (aged between 13 and 16, I would think) returning home after a day at the beach.
    You also said you passed their stop too. In another situation where they were being a bit of a nuisance I would probably think that was funny & say they deserved the extra bit of a walk home. But its not a stunt I'd be pulling on a group of teenagers after they had been launching glass bottles at me. I'd want them off the bus as soon as I could & I wouldn't be antagonising them by keeping them on the bus any longer than I had too.

A group sitting upstairs at the back (from whence the aforementioned glass projectile originated) were annoying me by constantly pressing the bell throughout the whole journey, so I pretended to be confused when they actually wanted to get off. It was a stupid thing to do because they ended up delaying me by opening the middle doors. Although maybe they would've done that anyway, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

If I was making it up, I like to think I'd make it more interesting than "a bottle nearly hit me". There'd be blood everywhere. I'd throw in something heroic too, like how I turned up for work the next day after getting five stitches in the back of my head.

:D
    Fair enough.

OK so I can understand now. It seemed that they were a bit on the younger side so you felt they weren't too much of a threat.

Maybe you felt the bottle wasn't being aimed directly at you as an attack, but more like one of them were being a bit cheeky on the sly, & lobbed it in your direction for the LOL's. The fact that the bottle didn't break either probably means it wasn't thrown too hard.

The bus was packed at a peak time, so you felt there was no need to hold everyone up over that particular incident. Fair enough I suppose.

It didn't originally read like that though. I seemed like you meant they were probably a bit hairy & had thrown a bottle directly at you. & then you made it seem like that wasn't any big deal. That's what was confusing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread is about filming AGS while carrying out their duties, can we get back on topic please

Advertisement