Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accept cookies. Accept cookies. Accept cookies.

Options
  • 06-10-2020 11:46am

Must be the single most annoying thing about using the internet lately. Every single website and their odd variation of asking you to accept cookies.. or, also trying to wedge in 'can we send you notifications', as if you'd have any interest.

Why can it not be assumed that there are certain cookies website require, and people will have no issue with this. If it's anything outside of a set parameter that the website are looking for, then they have to ask.

(I won't even start on Google's consistent pestering you to sign in..)

Is there a way around these constant pop-ups. Is there anybody out there doing anything in relation to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There's an add on to Google you can get: I don't care about cookies I think its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

eviltwin wrote: »
    There's an add on to Google you can get: I don't care about cookies I think its called.

That would make a good T shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Don't blame the websites. Blame the ****tards who campaigned to get the privacy laws changed. Now you can't go anywhere on the web without this bs. Privacy this...privacy that..blah blah blah. The cnuts ruined it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

eviltwin wrote: »

That's not worth trying as every website would have to agree to it. I did try it myself by the way. Did nothing.

I'm just after copping on that I will have to instal one of those warnings on a website I now run. Never even thought of it.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I'm just after copping on that I will have to instal one of those warnings on a website I now run. Never even thought of it.

You absolute bastard! Putting us innocent internet users at risk of cookies we didn't even agree in advance to?! :mad: DIDN'T EVEN AGREE TO!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a way around these constant pop-ups. Is there anybody out there doing anything in relation to this?
    It's an EU requirement for websites.

We could leave EU I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You'd think websites would try to get by without cookies but no, they all insist on using a great multitude of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Don't blame the websites. Blame the ****tards who campaigned to get the privacy laws changed. Now you can't go anywhere on the web without this bs. Privacy this...privacy that..blah blah blah. The cnuts ruined it for everyone.
    Why would you blame privacy campaigners for ****ty laws? Blame the legislators who made a broken privacy law that doesn't stop facebook from basically tracking your every move and selling the data, while simultaneously leaving companies hide behind the magical GDPR whenever it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Blame GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Blame GDPR.

It’s nothing got to do with GDPR. GDPR was years after the cookie laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Lmao_Man wrote: »

That's not quite right, cookie notice requirements have recently been updated in line with GDPR and come into force this week - that's why there are more complex pop-up banners everywhere. They're a pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Take it up the bottom

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

is there a Cookie Conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Keep in mind that the current state of play is "malicious compliance" with the letter of the law.
    Basically advertising scum making online experience worse for everyone in hopes that it'll annoy enough people into pressuring for revocation of laws, thereby allowing the bastards to make your phone listen for noises made by adverts in your browser so they can then permanently associate that browser with you.

The proper implementation of the requirements is to just not include cookies which are not necessary for the website. If the only cookies on the site are required for the users desired interactions with the website then no notice need be shown.

TLDR: Those notices and the nonsense behind them is deliberately annoying to try and force deregulation and allow eradication of online privacy by the advertisers.

Lmao_Man wrote: »

Are you sure there mate?

I mean if you bothered to Google before you posted that...

Here's a hint: may 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's even more annoying than videos autoplaying with audio, and those Google AMP pages that bring you to a cached version of the website you actually want to visit.

Web designers should be rounded up and shot. We can start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

It's even more annoying than videos autoplaying with audio, and those Google AMP pages that bring you to a cached version of the website you actually want to visit.

Web designers should be rounded up and shot. We can start again.

If you shoot the web designers the advertisers will just find new (and worse) ones.

Shoot all advertisers. On sight.
    If they were real people they'd have done it themselves when they realised they were advertisers.

Yes, that does include anyone claiming to be in "marketing".

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Blame GDPR.

I blame the Stasi in the old GDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No, blame the scumbag advertisers who turned the internet into a race to the bottom and click-whoring, along with all the tracking that goes with that.

Simpler solution would just be ban all advertising and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most websites rely on ads to pay the bill,s ,so they want to put a cookie on
    your pc to remember user x visited this website.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

you can delete cookies and delete your browsing history.
    Websites need to be able to say we had x no of users visiting our website today, or this week, to be able to set a rate for serving ads.
    You can go to browser settings and switch off video,animation, and graphics ,
    and websites will just show up as text and links .
    the problem is the politicans who make the laws are not tech experts .
    They just think we need more privacy options for users.https://proprivacy.com/ruinmysearchhistory/how-to-block-cookies

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/3/21420176/apple-ios-14-tracking-permission-rule-developers-delay

I dont see any easy solution to this problem as most websites rely on ads to survive,
    i,m not going to pay a fee or a subscription to view a website if i only read a few articles
    on some news website every week.
    i don,t think theres any chance of the eu cancelling or changing the gdpr rule no matter what advertisers or tech companys say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cookies!

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Are you sure there mate?

Cookie laws preceded GDPR by many years, GDPR required consent in the absence of any other legal basis though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Your mother accepts cookies.

For blowjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be a single question when you turn on your computer...
    Do you have a fooking clue in general...Yes/No.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I like cookies

Cookie laws preceded GDPR by many years, GDPR required consent in the absence of any other legal basis though.

Before the GDPR thing in 2018 or let's just call it before "cookie overload" it was the wild west with cookies. Companies can get massive fined now for taking the piss.

But if anyone thinks they are bad now. Give it another month / two.

Must be the single most annoying thing about using the internet lately. Every single website and their odd variation of asking you to accept cookies.. or, also trying to wedge in 'can we send you notifications', as if you'd have any interest.

Why can it not be assumed that there are certain cookies website require, and people will have no issue with this. If it's anything outside of a set parameter that the website are looking for, then they have to ask.

(I won't even start on Google's consistent pestering you to sign in..)

Comes were granted for basic stuff survival l automatically. Then date protection within the eu decided it was a breach. Pain in the arse!

And as for the notifications, why? In the history of the internet has anyone ever decided that getting popups while not even online from a random website is s great idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Its European data protectuon

Download a program that deletes ads on your browsers

• Advertisement

Are you sure there mate?

Before the GDPR thing in 2018 or let's just call it before "cookie overload" it was the wild west with cookies. Companies can get massive fined now for taking the piss.

But if anyone thinks they are bad now. Give it another month / two.

How old are you? I'm not being insulting but you clearly don't recall the change when cookies had to be agreed to which was easily way before 2018. It was all the way back in 2009 with the EU Directive 2009/136/EC.

Here's some good reading on it;
    https://baekdal.com/thoughts/the-original-cookie-specification-from-1997-was-gdpr-compliant/

Maybe take your own advise and Google before posting. ;)

Personally I miss the days when basic cookies were presumed and as long as you didn't act the idiot, you were fine.

I mean, has any of this prevented old timers getting spam, viruses, phishing, popups, notifications and hijacked? Not judging by my parents and in laws laptops it hasn't.

Advertisement