Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accept cookies. Accept cookies. Accept cookies.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your mother accepts cookies.

For blowjobs.

Or, the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I mean, has any of this prevented old timers getting spam, viruses, phishing, popups, notifications and hijacked? Not judging by my parents and in laws laptops it hasn't.

Why would you possibly think cookie regulation would protect you from any of those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

eviltwin wrote: »
    There's an add on to Google you can get: I don't care about cookies I think its called.

I use this and it works great!

I forget about it until I use a device without it installed and the cookies start bugging me again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How old are you? I'm not being insulting but you clearly don't recall the change when cookies had to be agreed to which was easily way before 2018. It was all the way back in 2009 with the EU Directive 2009/136/EC.

Here's some good reading on it;
    https://baekdal.com/thoughts/the-original-cookie-specification-from-1997-was-gdpr-compliant/

Maybe take your own advise and Google before posting. ;)

Personally I miss the days when basic cookies were presumed and as long as you didn't act the idiot, you were fine.

I mean, has any of this prevented old timers getting spam, viruses, phishing, popups, notifications and hijacked? Not judging by my parents and in laws laptops it hasn't.

I don't need to Google. There's a why for that.
    Maybe we're on a different page or your splitting heirs.

This thread is about the long annoying cookie messages WHICH became standard two years ago. Again, you should be the one to Google.

You're acting like people are saying a cookie didn't exist before as a base for your argument..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

MOH wrote: »
    No, blame the scumbag advertisers who turned the internet into a race to the bottom and click-whoring, along with all the tracking that goes with that.

Simpler solution would just be ban all advertising and move on.

This seems a bit simplistic; would you prefer to pay a monthly fee to use boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

YA where are my biscuits already!?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

And as for the notifications, why? In the history of the internet has anyone ever decided that getting popups while not even online from a random website is s great idea?
    This is worth spending a couple of minutes doing: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-notifications-chrome-firefox-safari/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This seems a bit simplistic; would you prefer to pay a monthly fee to use boards.ie?
    You do anyway; it's just hidden. Advertising costs are included in everything you spend money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Cookie dough dynamo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

mikhail wrote: »
    You do anyway; it's just hidden. Advertising costs are included in everything you spend money on.

I know; the point I am making is that currently, for most websites, you can access them for "free" because they are paid for through advertising. If online advertising were banned, as another poster suggested, websites would have to be paid for other means, possibly through monthly subscription.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Why would you possibly think cookie regulation would protect you from any of those things?

Gdpr I meant and it's purpose was to protect personal data. People that pay attention to such things already protect their personal data.

I don't need to Google. There's a why for that.
    Maybe we're on a different page or your splitting heirs.

This thread is about the long annoying cookie messages WHICH became standard two years ago. Again, you should be the one to Google.

You're acting like people are saying a cookie didn't exist before as a base for your argument..... ;)

I literally specified the exact eu directive that resulted in cookie popup agreements. It's from 2009 and is informally called 'the cookie law'.

mikhail wrote: »
    This is worth spending a couple of minutes doing: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-notifications-chrome-firefox-safari/

I'm not sure why you sent that. I'm aware of how to disable them

I was merely Making a point about how anyone would willingly and knowingly agree to something so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I literally specified the exact eu directive that resulted in cookie popup agreements. It's from 2009 and is informally called 'the cookie law'.

https://digitalstrategy.ie/cookie-controller-contact/?utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=&utm_source=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YPNwrqi7AIVh7TtCh27bQE3EAAYAiAAEgI8TfD_BwE

https://www.cookiebot.com/en/cookie-consent/

Guess that big deal in 2018 wasn't nothing. Doesn't exist. All 2009.

Not a single person has claimed that the 2018 act didnt exist. We have both stated that cookies were already dealt with in 2009.

I dunno if you realise how time works or indeed laws but 2009 was before 2018

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

BA and Niner, cut out the sniping at each other. If you can't post in a civil fashion don't post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is it just me or are others getting asked to accept cookies when you go to the same website each and every time? I cant understand why it doesnt know that you've already accepted them before multiple times.

And does Firefox have an extension to accept them automatically? Its getting really frustrating have to accept them every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That would make a good T shirt.

even better "Yes to All Cookies"

I'll send hairy baby an email - we'll share commission :)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is it just me or are others getting asked to accept cookies when you go to the same website each and every time? I cant understand why it doesnt know that you've already accepted them before multiple times.

And does Firefox have an extension to accept them automatically? Its getting really frustrating have to accept them every single time.

Do you have a cleaner or auto delete setup for cookies? That shouldnt be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dont think so or at least not knowingly, I must check the settings. I seem to be asked over and over again to accept cookies on a good few sites.

Ive clicked into the cookies of sites before and some of them are asking for you to be tracked by over 300 other websites. Its madness, we're probably all being tracked by over 100,000 sites at this stage

• Advertisement

Yes many websites forget to remember that you have already agreed. Vodafone being a prime example.

There's the add on "I don't care about cookies" which works on Firefox, but it doesn't work on all sites.

Do you have a cleaner or auto delete setup for cookies? That shouldnt be happening
    Not necessarily

If it's happening every single time, check your browser cookie settings, e.g. for Chrome. They might be set to automatically delete them on exit.

Cookies are set with an expiry date. Expired cookies will be cleared.
    So if you haven't been on website in a while, or the cookies were set with a short expiration date, they'll have been cleared.

And since the only way of recording that you've accepted cookies is with a cookie, if that cookie is gone then you'll end up being prompted again.

El Tarangu wrote: »

No, not for Boards these days. Others would though. And I would for other sites.

But the whole argument that advertising-supported "free" websites are the only possible model, because that's the way it is, doesn't hold up. It gives the impression that the sites are somehow magically funded by benevolent advertisers, which is clearly nonsense.

So sites are paid enough by advertisers to operate. Advertisers are paid by business who buy ads. Either advertising works enough to influence people's purchases, or it doesn't.
    If it works, and advertising is actually effective for businesses, then the business buying ads are making more from those ads than they're spending. Which means that visitors to the site are spending money on those businesses that they otherwise wouldn't, so the site is really being paid for by a subset of its visitors.
    If advertising doesn't work, then businesses are wasting money on the ads. But the cost of advertising is ultimately baked into the price people pay for products. Which means that price is higher than it would be without advertising. So while it's not specifically the site visitors, people across the board are ultimately the ones paying to fund the site.

Advertising-funded websites also drives sites towards maximising visitors. Which in turns encourages quantity of contents over quality, clickbait, and rushing content out without checking for accuracy.

That's also all ignoring the darker side of it such as data harvesting and building profiles of site users. We had over a decade of increasing sophisticated advertising algorithms gathering increasing amounts of data of visitors. Which also able to track at a very granular level the psychological effect and response to minor variations in the ad copy, leading to the ability to microtarget particular ad variations at visitors based on the data collected.
    You can argue about how much actual harm is done by that, but then pivot the techniques learned there to political campaigns and we ended up with Cambridge Analytica and the like.

Sure, get rid of advertising and sites would fold. Other sites would find a new model which works. Happens all the time anyway, life goes on.

Yeah, I know I sound like a cranky conspiracy theorist, but bottom line anything which helps rein in unrestricted data collection on users is a good thing, even if it results in a few inconvenient extra clicks now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

It's helped me to identify which sites depended on abusing my data. Yahoo and disqus had the worst opt outs so I was happy to cut them off.

Advertisement