Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese lost generation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There's a good reason that there is a shortage of chefs firstly you have to work long hours in a fairly stressful environment and secondly the pay is **** for the amount of work you have to do. It's not really a job I would see as being compatible with having a normal social life or family.

I wasn't making any comment about the career it's self just a point about the availability of jobs, its the same with doing a trade it's very hard to get even a quote for a job and builder are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

mariaalice wrote: »
    Local further education colleges do catering course, and pre covid I know for a fact that places found it hard to get chefs, we are not talking Michelin stars stuff here, pubs and hotels. http://www.crumlincollege.ie/full-time-courses/culinary-arts

Also where did you get the bizarre notion that you need a full driving licence to work in a nursing home as a HCA?

Plus you are setting the bar very low if you think asking someone to do a level 5 course is too much to ask.

Catering doesnt qualify anyone as a chef, theyre not the same jobs.

I got the 'bizarre notion' from the requirement section on most advertised health assistant jobs.

Did I say the bar is too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Catering doesnt qualify anyone as a chef, theyre not the same jobs.

I got the 'bizarre notion' from the requirement section on most advertised health assistant jobs.

Did I say the bar is too low?

Culinary Arts - Professional Cookery (Level 5)
    Culinary Arts - Professional Cookery (Level 6)

That is what the course in Crumlin college is called.

Nursing homes, in general, do not require HCA to have a full driving license.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Culinary Arts - Professional Cookery (Level 5)
    Culinary Arts - Professional Cookery (Level 6)

That is what the course in Crumlin college is called.

Nursing homes, in general, do not require HCA to have a full driving license.

Theyre pre higher education courses, they wont offer secure employment for students upon graduation.
    As for health care assistant jobs, generally the hours are 12 hour shifts night and day work for minimum wage, many of these jobs require the applicant to have a full driving license.
    Regardless it's entirely besides the point of the thread, you tried to provide two examples of short courses that will eradicate unemployment or something?
    Only one of them is likely to secure graduates with permanent work and leading back to the original argument, the pay for the job is not sustainable and the hours are incredibly long, some of them advertised as 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts for two weeks, day or two off, another two full weeks of 12 hour shifts.. all for minimum wage?
    Why is that one of the only few options available for people seeking permanent work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A lot of talk as to who is to blame :p

Could it be just that everyone is out for themselves? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm not sure I agree with the OP's premise - prior to COVID, Ireland was approaching full employment, and I assume that this was reflected in the rates of employment among young people also.

Sure, young people, particularly those living in Dublin, could still be living at home well into their 20s, but they would have (up until COVID) normally have had jobs. I think that the number of people still living at home in their 40s and 50s would be miniscule.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with the OP's premise - prior to COVID, Ireland was approaching full employment, and I assume that this was reflected in the rates of employment among young people also.

Sure, young people, particularly those living in Dublin, could still be living at home well into their 20s, but they would have (up until COVID) normally have had jobs. I think that the number of people still living at home in their 40s and 50s would be miniscule.

Thats actually false, the majority of people on social welfare where sent to Seetac, once registered with Seetac they were no longer registered as unemployed even though they weren't working and continued to receive social welfare payments.
    Similarly people on social welfare were sent on CE schemes and part time courses, technically they aren't employed as they continue to receive social welfare.
    Ce schemes, as mentioned in the opening post, are temporary part time contracts that dont provide a living wage.
    A very high number of low skilled jobs are no CE schemes further increasing the need for a high level of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was 23-24 during the financial crash. Didn't go to college before that (that's on me) but jobs were so abundant that I felt there were options away from that. The crash hit, lost my job and I was unemployed for a couple of years. Did a few courses, did a FETAC level 5 in business, went to college for 4 years, couldn't get a job in the field when I finished, did a jobsbridge but there was no job in the end. I then worked a minimum wage job for 3 years until I lost it at the start of the pandemic.

So here I am in my mid 30s. I gave it a shot, I did every thing I was supposed to do and I have gained absolutely nothing from the last 10 years. I am back to where I was 10 years ago but with no options left.

I have exhausted my options. I'll never own a home. I won't be able to be able to afford to rent. I won't be able to retire. Government are telling me I need to avoid things like Sugar, alcohol, cigarettes to live as long as possible, even though I can't afford a pension. I literally have to die before I am physically unable to work. Although I'll probably be homeless within the next 10 years. So at least I won't have to worry about working into my 80s.

So, Yes. This generation is a bit ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I was 23-24 during the financial crash. Didn't go to college before that (that's on me) but jobs were so abundant that I felt there were options away from that. The crash hit, lost my job and I was unemployed for a couple of years. Did a few courses, did a FETAC level 5 in business, went to college for 4 years, couldn't get a job in the field when I finished, did a jobsbridge but there was no job in the end. I then worked a minimum wage job for 3 years until I lost it at the start of the pandemic.

So here I am in my mid 30s. I gave it a shot, I did every thing I was supposed to do and I have gained absolutely nothing from the last 10 years. I am back to where I was 10 years ago but with no options left.

I have exhausted my options. I'll never own a home. I won't be able to be able to afford to rent. I won't be able to retire. Government are telling me I need to avoid things like Sugar, alcohol, cigarettes to live as long as possible, even though I can't afford a pension. I literally have to die before I am physically unable to work. Although I'll probably be homeless within the next 10 years. So at least I won't have to worry about working into my 80s.

Can't you just tap Gail Platt up for a few bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Gotta say this hit me right in the kisser, recognized a lot of myself and a lot of my peers in those few paragraphs. I don't know what to tell you other than I was in a similar boat recently but things turned around pretty fast, but at least know you're not alone in that boat. I've also learned from my new position that a metric boat-load of people who seem to have it all really don't and run their finances on a shoestring. Either way, keep on keeping on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It has nothing to do with millennials or generations.

Technology is taking over the work that people had to previously do, automation is everywhere.

Look at your average retail bank, only about 5-10 staff. Used to be around 40-50.

Many services are being swallowed by computers. I have an acquaintance that sold a fund management operating system to a leading investment bank. It will take the place of about 140 staff. It only needs a team of 7 to run it. Well it runs itself, the team just monitor and test it.

However I have also heard that there are jobs that a computer cannot do. I spoke recently with someone who works as a content moderator on You Tube. A computer can only do so much. For the record content moderators are getting paid around a 2-250 euro a day. Not bad money for sitting on your hole watching videos all day long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would not be too negative just yet. You are only in your mid thirties. Count yourself lucky, your life is all ahead of you.

Stop blamestorming and start brainstorming. Focus on where you spent your time and how you feel you wasted it. Learn from this and don't do it again.

Seriously, there is more to life than getting expensive mortgages and filling the paws of pension providers. This is your life, make the most of it. It is not all about doing what the system tells you you should be doing. Do what you want and do your own thing.

This is not a dress rehearsal. Be proactive about your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I can’t agree with you OP. I’m a millennial and can’t stand to see the whinging from a lot of my generation (not aimed at you OP). I along with most of my friends would have come out of college or apprenticeships into the economy in recession. We worked hard, sacrificed early on and a large portion of us managed to get on the property ladder. Most of the lads I know that complain about the government and not ever being able to afford a house spent their 20’s putting their wages up their nose/ drinking 4 nights a week/ travelling around Australia doing jobs they’d turn their nose up at here.

I’m aware that this is a generalisation but so is saying that millennials are a lost generation. If you think about the amount of discretionary spending we do in comparison to previous generations you can see why it’s harder to buy property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did you study Business in college for 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

The_Brood wrote: »
    Lol. In Western media there is this seeming endless fascination with making Japan to be some kind of insanely weird, lonely, depressed, socially broken country that should be looked down upon with pity and revulsion. Like every nation Japan has its particularities and it has its issues, but Japanese culture, work-ethnic, and will puts the modern Western world to absolute shame. They have achieved much more now and in the past than the Western powers with dramatically fewer resources.

Western jornos write articles about a "lost generation," when western society is drugged up to its eyeballs on tinder, tic toc and social media....great joy and fulfilment that brings, I'm sure.

I dunno. Japanese life is no joke. An extremely authoritarian culture where hierarchy face and collectivism are everything. Couple that with working 24 hours a day 7 days a week there isn't alot to enjoy about life there. If you are woman you are **** out of luck and expected to become a housewife. The reason the birth rate is dropping is life isn't very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You're doing exactly as she did. Passing it off on to a "generation". Personally, I'll stick with the market conditions, the banks, the turning towards debt financing, and the ineptitude/corruption of the government.

Nah, I'm not trying to pass it off to another generation to be honest, I actually have a fairly similiar attitude to the whole thing as yourself, I just thought it was a bit ridiculous to blame people of our generation for creating a housing bubble which had begun to inflate when most of us were still at secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Did you study Business in college for 4 years?
    Accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Accounting

could you start your own business as a book keeper?

Nah, I'm not trying to pass it off to another generation to be honest, I actually have a fairly similiar attitude to the whole thing as yourself, I just thought it was a bit ridiculous to blame people of our generation for creating a housing bubble which had begun to inflate when most of us were still at secondary school.

yeah, she was being a bit of a muppet by trying to pass responsibility over to that generation. TBF we're all responsible for how the country has turned out.. but I have to laugh at the complaints on this thread about how hard things are for their generation. My parents went through a much harder time, as did theirs. Hardship is relative.. with everyone considering themselves to have had the hardest period, based on their own experiences. TBH I'm amazed at how far Ireland has come in the last 30 years, from employment, through to the general quality of life, but people will still moan about how hard things are for them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Japan is another planet.

The Irish have an obsession with owning property, and while they complain of the high cost of housing, which is undeniable, there is a strong sense of value in owning real estate as a reaction to centuries of disenfranchisement. I think that that reflex was a healthy one in spite of abuses in the Celtic Tiger years. The cost of property was pretty high before the CT, and the Irish like the Italians, in North America and elsewhere are always keen on buying into it as soon as possible.

Japan has a weird, almost incomprehensible relation to Property. There are millions of vacant houses and apartments all over Japan. They keep building and squashing value at every turn. They also don't like old or pre-used housing, and single family homes are sometimes demolished and built anew to avoid living in somebody else's used space. Same with cars, upper middle class folk don't like buying used.

I remember reading somewhere in the nineties about an American student furnishing his apartment with spotless furniture and electronics from garbage day rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Japan has a weird, almost incomprehensible relation to Property. There are millions of vacant houses and apartments all over Japan. They keep building and squashing value at every turn. They also don't like old or pre-used housing, and single family homes are sometimes demolished and built anew to avoid living in somebody else's used space. Same with cars, upper middle class folk don't like buying used.

I remember reading somewhere in the nineties about an American student furnishing his apartment with spotless furniture and electronics from garbage day rounds.

The car thing is money. It's quite expensive to keep a car older than 5 years, and the older it is the more expensive it is. It's why Japanese imports are so sought after, car's are barely used but going for chips because of the Japanese costs. Imagine having to pay upwards of €2500 for a yearly NCT!

As for the houses, they're simply not built to last and have an average life span of 30 years (due to WW and demand thereafter). It's changing slightly, but because of this there is little to no incentive to keep the house in tip top shape, as only the land is worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭interlocked

Until Japan acknowledges it's utter depravity during WW2 and previously, i don't see how they can really be regarded as a modern nation. Germany did it but Japan refuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Until Japan acknowledges it's utter depravity during WW2 and previously, i don't see how they can really be regarded as a modern nation. Germany did it but Japan refuses.

Chinese tanks made 'human hamburgers' by repeatidly driving over human remains to obliterate them after the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Russia routinely still persecutes Gay people.

The United Kingdom firebombed Dresden.

The USA dropped two nuclear devices on largely civilian cities.

Define 'modern nation'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Lost where ? We are all going to the one place, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

o1s1n wrote: »
    Chinese tanks made 'human hamburgers' by repeatidly driving over human remains to obliterate them after the Tiananmen Square massacre

Serious? I've never read that in all my years, wow

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

rapul wrote: »
    Serious? I've never read that in all my years, wow

Yeah it's absolutely horrific, I only read about it recently enough myself when reading up on the event. There's some very disturbing photographic evidence online which is difficult to look at.

Saddest thing about the pictures are the crushed bicycles beside the gore. Only thing that shows you you're looking at what once were people. They were literally then hosed down the street shores/drains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Need to be constantly up skilling these days. Things are getting more competive all the time.
    Good thing is all the resources and tools are there online.

If you get your foot in the door anywhere, the opportunity is there to make something of it.

Japan is arguably the most modern nation on the planet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My first though on reading the header that this was literally about a generation that had been decimated, akin to Ireland's post-abortion vote generation. While the sense of empathy for others is noteworthy, Japan has weathered such periods of stagnation before and given the expansionist Chinese regieme, Japan might look back with fondness on this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

What current and upcoming generations need, is to enforce their human right to a job - from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
    Article 23.
    (1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.

Which means that when there are not enough jobs for everyone, the government is responsible for employing people, as 'employer of last resort'. A Job Guarantee is the best implementation of this policy.

There is no other workable way to avoid peoples human rights being breached. It is unjust for anyone to ever be left involuntarily unemployed, long term.

Advertisement