Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese lost generation

Options
  • 05-10-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Just saw this article earlier today about Japans lost generation, a large group of people in their 40's and 50's who are jobless, single, childless and still living with their parents.
    This same thing is happening with the millennial generation but no one talks about it.
    Rents are continuously rising, house prices are rising, there's less opportunities, fewer jobs & jobs available are much harder to get, many jobs 20 years ago required very basic qualifications at least but now require years of study + experience as employers wont train in employees anymore.
    If one career choice doesnt work out theres no jumping ship without the financial means to support 4 years of full time study. With the high competitiveness for jobs + nepotism, location, increasing number of employers & businesses offering short contracts and internships instead of permanent jobs. Many low skilled jobs are now being offered as short term CE schemes and dont pay a living wage.
    This leaves many people in a position of perpetual unemployment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-japan-lost-generation/?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-businessweek&utm_content=businessweek&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Just wondering what others make of this. Its scary to think so many young adults will be headed this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Just saw this article earlier today about Japans lost generation, a large group of people in their 40's and 50's who are jobless, single, childless and still living with their parents.
    This same thing is happening with the millennial generation but no one talks about it.
    Rents are continuously rising, house prices are rising, there's less opportunities, fewer jobs & jobs available are much harder to get, many jobs 20 years ago required very basic qualifications at least but now require years of study + experience as employers wont train in employees anymore.
    If one career choice doesnt work out theres no jumping ship without the financial means to support 4 years of full time study. With the high competitiveness for jobs + nepotism, location, increasing number of employers & businesses offering short contracts and internships instead of permanent jobs. Many low skilled jobs are now being offered as short term CE schemes and dont pay a living wage.
    This leaves many people in a position of perpetual unemployment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-japan-lost-generation/?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-businessweek&utm_content=businessweek&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Just wondering what others make of this. Its scary to think so many young adults will be headed this way.

It’s not that people aren’t talking about it, people don’t care about millennials, they lost their voice when they displayed massive amounts of entitlement.*

*= complete generalisation ....blame the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's bound to happen in a world where the basic jobs are now being engineered to be done by robots and AI, all the while colleges are offering jobless courses as a main course instead of an addition to proper courses. Thing is, it's moving too quick for some older generations to be able to catch up with, and re-skilling is not only expensive, but demands a lot of time which a lot of people won't have because they have bills/mortgages which need full time jobs to pay, leaving little to no time for education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's hard to eke out an existence these days if you are 25 to 35, let's be honest.

Our generation got ****ed over sadly, just bad timing I guess.

What frustrates me more is older people, who really should know better, looking down at our generation and tut tuting away for themselves and this kind of weird superficial sympathy.

But we are a resilient lot as has been evidenced over the last few months and we will pull through, keep the chin up and always keep moving forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

That's a depressing slant to take on it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Lol. In Western media there is this seeming endless fascination with making Japan to be some kind of insanely weird, lonely, depressed, socially broken country that should be looked down upon with pity and revulsion. Like every nation Japan has its particularities and it has its issues, but Japanese culture, work-ethnic, and will puts the modern Western world to absolute shame. They have achieved much more now and in the past than the Western powers with dramatically fewer resources.

Western jornos write articles about a "lost generation," when western society is drugged up to its eyeballs on tinder, tic toc and social media....great joy and fulfilment that brings, I'm sure.

• Advertisement

I don't see how you can compare Japan's situation with Ireland. Japan has a work to death ethic, a very fixed social hierarchy, a faltering economy, and are pretty isolated in Asia. The Irish people have all of Europe to expand themselves in, in addition to what's available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Per COVID.

I know of two careers where someone could practically walk into a job with a year or two training.

Health care assistant and chef, now they are most likely not going to pay a fortune but my point is there are areas where there are jobs.

Also, not everyone in Ireland lives in Dublin or the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it will sort itself out in a generation or so, population should start falling and will mean more space to live and more buying power

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It seems we are a critical juncture in society; it's weird but when you think about it, modern society has only really been operating in its current guise since maybe around the start of the last century and then firmly is entrenched after WW2. It's not an incredible amount of time. Every era undergoes change. It feels like we are at the end chapter in the story of mankind. I actually think we'll eventually live much slower lives which are much more self-aware. The idea of growth for growths sake and just to keep fat cats happy, where people trudge to work without actually realizing their place in the world is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

mariaalice wrote: »
    Per COVID.

Yeah plenty lads getting the farm subsidies, complaining about the lads in dublin on the dole. Not a days work between them.

• Advertisement

It's a tough slog for millennials. The recession and austerity really knocked the wind out of our sails.

I fear Gen Z may have it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah.

I think people are recognizing it more in Ireland with covid.

I mean before ...people might have lived at home but had a job OR lived outside home but been unemployed.

OR they had hope for a job and a change in future.

There was something you could do. It kind of feels like now ....opportunities are shrinking.
    I don't see how you can compare Japan's situation with Ireland. Japan has a work to death ethic, a very fixed social hierarchy, a faltering economy, and are pretty isolated in Asia. The Irish people have all of Europe to expand themselves in, in addition to what's available in Ireland.

But we have out own issues that are causing the same situation.

Very few industries were doing well before covid.

Creative industries are not developed here. IT is bloated. They can hire IT ten a penny and treat them terribly.

Even if you have a decent job and there are two of you looking for a mortgage ..its really tough to find one ..or even a place to rent.

Europe's fruits are not sustaining us. And there isn't a diversity of industry.

Irish people have europe to expand ourselves in just means .immigrate. ...which is something i am probably going to have to do.

People have jobs but not ones they can sustain themselves in.

And when you try and complain and change things people say ..WELL that is not a lifestyle job its one you should move up from! There is nothing to move up to anymore.

And covid has made every worse. And brexit will make it even worse.

WE will suffer more than the uk from brexit. We haven't faced this yet.

AND these issues are not just financial

I have no debt ..im not going to be homeless. I have income. But SOCIALLY ...Ireland is dead.

Social growth requires having your own stable home. Independent living where you don't have to move every two years or go back home while you find a new flat.

Its impossible to grow your life ..have a family for many.

That is being LOST.

It's hard to eke out an existence these days if you are 25 to 35, let's be honest.

Yes but its actually refreshing NOW to hear boomers or older people admit this and talk about it. Even if they are not doing anything.

Before maybe brexit .. ..it was denied. I think older people and even older wealthier people are seeing its a real problem which is refreshing.

Per COVID.

I know of two careers where someone could practically walk into a job with a year or two training.

Health care assistant and chef, now they are most likely not going to pay a fortune but my point is there are areas where there are jobs.

Can you support a family for those jobs and are they life time careers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Our generation got ****ed over sadly, just bad timing I guess.

What frustrates me more is older people, who really should know better, looking down at our generation and tut tuting away for themselves and this kind of weird superficial sympathy.

This. I was in my early 20s when the bubble burst and remember a woman, who I worked with and was in her 50s, saying that she blamed my generation for the housing bubble, conveniently forgetting that it was people of her own generation who had basically created and fueled it. That fairly pissed me off. I still don't own a home.

I guess we have to be positive though.

There isn't anything else we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

all the while colleges are offering jobless courses as a main course instead of an addition to proper courses.

This is a serious issue. "Arts" needs a massive shakeup, and there should be far more industry partnership than there currently is. But that would require university staff to actually do something more than sit on quangos, wear gowns at events and b*tch about how teaching interferes with their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Disruption innovation is degradation in fancy new cloths, cloths made in a Chinese sweatshop.

🙈🙉🙊

This. I was in my early 20s when the bubble burst and remember a woman, who I worked with and was in her 50s, saying that she blamed my generation for the housing bubble, conveniently forgetting that it was people of her own generation who had basically created and fueled it. That fairly pissed me off. I still don't own a home.

You're doing exactly as she did. Passing it off on to a "generation". Personally, I'll stick with the market conditions, the banks, the turning towards debt financing, and the ineptitude/corruption of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

To be honest I was the same age as you and if I look at myself and those I was in school with, everyone seems to have escaped it. Most if not all have partners, children, homes etc etc. Many had to move abroad, some stayed away and some went back eventually.

She was a piece of work blaming our generation for the housing bubble though, I wonder how many "investment properties" she owned at the time, or if she was looking to blame someone for the fact that she couldn't buy an "investment property"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The_Brood wrote: »
    Lol. In Western media there is this seeming endless fascination with making Japan to be some kind of insanely weird, lonely, depressed, socially broken country that should be looked down upon with pity and revulsion. Like every nation Japan has its particularities and it has its issues, but Japanese culture, work-ethnic, and will puts the modern Western world to absolute shame. They have achieved much more now and in the past than the Western powers with dramatically fewer resources.

Western jornos write articles about a "lost generation," when western society is drugged up to its eyeballs on tinder, tic toc and social media....great joy and fulfilment that brings, I'm sure.

the article is from Bloomberg which is a business and markets outfit , up until 1990 , japan was predicted to potentially overtake the USA as the worlds largest economy , it was a real concern of the americans , its decline is in truth more about the fact that no country ever had an economic bubble like japan did in the eighties , it also grew for about forty years consecutively up until 1990 . the japaneese stock market is only at half the level it was in 1990 which is staggering

the country never recovered properly from that insane time so its no surprise that people heading for fifty never got a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Per COVID.

For starters health care assistant is a vocation. You have to want to devote your life to helping others. You can't do that job if you don't live for it or if it's not in you. There are plenty of jobs you can do and actually hate. Health care assistant is not one of them.

Similar might be said for chef. Your heart has to be in it. I could never be a chef. The hours are tortuous, getting cut and burnt. Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

For starters health care assistant is a vocation. You have to want to devote your life to helping others. You can't do that job if you don't live for it or if it's not in you. There are plenty of jobs you can do and actually hate. Health care assistant is not one of them.

Similar might be said for chef. Your heart has to be in it. I could never be a chef. The hours are tortuous, getting cut and burnt. Nah.

if you believe that , you musnt have spent much time in hospitals , plenty of healthcare assistants i wouldnt let look after my dog , " init for the money "

most not like that of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if you believe that , you musnt have spent much time in hospitals , plenty of healthcare assistants i wouldnt let look after my dog , " init for the money "

most not like that of course

'Init for the money' - The pay for healthcare assistant jobs are not much more than the dole and when they take in costs of travel its not a sustainable job. You just proved the previous reply correct in what they said, plenty of people shouldnt be healthcare assistance and its the vulnerable that suffer because of those people who you wouldnt trust to look after your dog.
    A healthcare assistant job pays roughly 10 - 12 euro an hour (minimum wage is 10 euro)
    You cant work as a healthcare assistant without a car/full driving licence
    Healthcare assistant jobs require atleast a level 5 qualification - Not everyone can walk into these jobs as stated by MarieAlice.
    Per COVID.

Chef's have to have atleast a 3 year BA, many have a masters. Nobody walks into a chefing job, really dont know what that comment is talking about as she clearly hasnt got a clue. Dont know why she's even sharing her opinion when she's just making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm a millenial. I don't know of anyone my age who (pre Covid) was jobless through anything other than choice.

Even during the recession, I took the sh*ttest job to get me through and then managed to get better and better jobs over the course of 10 years, to where I am now. In a decent job, living in a mortgaged home.

As are the majority of my friends and family around the same age.

'Init for the money' - The pay for healthcare assistant jobs are not much more than the dole and when they take in costs of travel its not a sustainable job. You just proved the previous reply correct in what they said, plenty of people shouldnt be healthcare assistance and its the vulnerable that suffer because of those people who you wouldnt trust to look after your dog.
    A healthcare assistant job pays roughly 10 - 12 euro an hour (minimum wage is 10 euro)
    You cant work as a healthcare assistant without a car/full driving licence
    Healthcare assistant jobs require atleast a level 5 qualification - Not everyone can walk into these jobs as stated by MarieAlice.

Chef's have to have atleast a 3 year BA, many have a masters. Nobody walks into a chefing job, really dont know what that comment is talking about as she clearly hasnt got a clue. Dont know why she's even sharing her opinion when she's just making stuff up.

Local further education colleges do catering course, and pre covid I know for a fact that places found it hard to get chefs, we are not talking Michelin stars stuff here, pubs and hotels. http://www.crumlincollege.ie/full-time-courses/culinary-arts

Also where did you get the bizarre notion that you need a full driving licence to work in a nursing home as a HCA?

Plus you are setting the bar very low if you think asking someone to do a level 5 course is too much to ask.

Local further education colleges do catering course, and pre covid I know for a fact that places found it hard to get chefs, we are not talking Michelin stars stuff here, pubs and hotels. http://www.crumlincollege.ie/full-time-courses/culinary-arts

There's a good reason that there is a shortage of chefs firstly you have to work long hours in a fairly stressful environment and secondly the pay is **** for the amount of work you have to do. It's not really a job I would see as being compatible with having a normal social life or family.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

These people have also been bullied, ostracized by society. Very similar to how Irish people operate imo and their poor regard and understanding for mental health doesn't help either.

Economically this is happening in Ireland too and the similarities are uncanny. Unfortunately we will end up the way of Japan too.

A lot of people are missing the fact that these people are too mentally ill and do not wish to work. It's a societal problem

• Advertisement

Constant looking for evidence that its, the older generations falt, its nepotism, you need to have parents with money to support long periods of study etc is not helpful and a lot of the 'evidence' is debatable too.

There are thousands of young people in Ireland doing grand earning a modest living or even doing well enough or very well for themselves.

That is not to say everything is perfect it's not but constantly looking for the negatives is not reality.

Advertisement