Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date someone outside your race?

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

People are entitled to dating preferences but I'm curious as to how many would venture out of their race? The overwhelming majority stay within their race (whether white, black, asian, etc.)

I know a few Irish guys and gals that have dated outside their race (and by race I mean White Irish dating a Chinese Irish or Black Irish. not a French or Spaniard as those are nationalities/ethnicities).

Most of the people who date outside their race though would be hesitant to consider a long term relationship. I guess the same for women who would date a shorter man/men dating a taller woman but not consider maryying them.

As it's not racist, I'd hope posters would be honest.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Define race?
    Irish people, historically, would not be the same race as a German, Spaniard or Italian but as you have excluded these then it is unclear as to where your definition of race starts and ends. If you are using a very simplistic (US norm) definition of black or brown or Asian then this would also separate Spanish and 'white' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

People are entitled to dating preferences but I'm curious as to how many would venture out of their race? The overwhelming majority stay within their race (whether white, black, asian, etc.)

I know a few Irish guys and gals that have dated outside their race (and by race I mean White Irish dating a Chinese Irish or Black Irish. not a French or Spaniard as those are nationalities/ethnicities).

Most of the people who date outside their race though would be hesitant to consider a long term relationship. I guess the same for women who would date a shorter man/men dating a taller woman but not consider maryying them.

As it's not racist, I'd hope posters would be honest.

Many moons ago I met a really nice Caribbean girl in London. She was quite upfront that she did not find white people attractive...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gozunda wrote: »
    Many moons ago I met a really nice Caribbean girl in London. She was quite upfront that she did not find white people attractive...

But because the Irish are the blacks of Europe....
    You were in like Flynn with her?
    ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

what about travelers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We are all the same race.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Define race?
    Irish people, historically, would not be the same race as a German, Spaniard or Italian but as you have excluded these then it is unclear as to where your definition of race starts and ends. If you are using a very simplistic (US norm) definition of black or brown or Asian then this would also separate Spanish and 'white' people.

Well white race generally includes people who have Caucasian features (light skin, blue eyes), and have origins/roots in Europe.

Black race includes people who have dark skin, coiled hair, and have origins/family roots in Africa.

Asian race includes Chinese, Indians, Filipinos who have varying features but have origins/roots in Asia.

Arab includes people from the Middle East who have similar features to Caucasians but have origins/roots in the Middle East.

I know race is mostly a social construct but I think you know what I mean. Generally when I say race I tie in as well would you date a person who's family is not Irish/European or has any roots to European heritage.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    what about travelers

I've heard they have a different genealogy than Irish people so although they are white.

I've heard they have a different genealogy than Irish people so although they are white.

You heard wrong, unless inbreeding has warped the DNA strands. Travellers are unique culturally and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Did I just stumble into 1950s Alabama here ?!

Of course I’d go out with (we don’t “date” in Ireland ...) someone outside my own ethnic background and I have done and it posed far, far fewer cultural barriers than that time I went out with a redhead from Mayo tbh.

People are people and cultures and attitudes vary. If you don’t get on with someone, don’t go out with them. Their race is just a superficial thing. Who they are, whether they’re good craic, whether you click and whether you share common ways of seeing the world are nothing to do with ethnicity.

Personally, I’m not into people who are very hardcore religious, hold extreme political views and social conservatives for example, mostly because I can’t be dealing with dogmatic beliefs but that’s not about race.

Go out with whoever it is you click with! Have a laugh and enjoy life. It’s far too short to be droaning on about racial prejudices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well white race generally includes people who have Caucasian features (light skin, blue eyes), and have origins/roots in Europe.

Black race includes people who have dark skin, coiled hair, and have origins/family roots in Africa.

Asian race includes Chinese, Indians, Filipinos who have varying features but have origins/roots in Asia.

Arab includes people from the Middle East who have similar features to Caucasians but have origins/roots in the Middle East.

I know race is mostly a social construct but I think you know what I mean. Generally when I say race I tie in as well would you date a person who's family is not Irish/European or has any roots to European heritage.

White or black are not races. They are colours. What about arabs? They would have more in common with southern Europeans looks wise than northern. So why are they a race but Spanish are not?

Irish people would not have been considered Aryan (the old word for caucasian ) but would have been seen as a separate entity. The Slavs are also not Aryan so there are 3 races that you are grouping together as 'white'. There are even more distinctions in Africa where there is a much wider diversity of DNA between different ethnic groups than there would be between an Irish person and a Chinese person.

So you are not talking about race here at all. You are talking about colour (or US identity politics defined race). Where does 'white' end and 'brown' begin. Where does 'Asian' start and 'European' end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

It's something of a moot point for me, I have no intention of "dating" again, quite happy where I am, but honestly I don't know. I think attraction is somewhat linked in a lot of us to that which we see is similar to ourselves. I think the "reach" for most white people is Orientals, similar enough in appearance but just different enough to be exotic. Can honestly say have never really found black girls to be as attractive, even South Asians, Indians etc I would struggle to see as pretty.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that tbh, it's inbuilt natural bias and we admit that to ourselves we'll have a much healthier relationship with our attitudes to racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

White or black are not races. They are colours. What about arabs? They would have more in common with southern Europeans looks wise than northern. So why are they a race but Spanish are not?

Irish people would not have been considered Aryan (the old word for caucasian ) but would have been seen as a separate entity. The Slavs are also not Aryan so there are 3 races that you are grouping together as 'white'. There are even more distinctions in Africa where there is a much wider diversity of DNA between different ethnic groups than there would be between an Irish person and a Chinese person.

So you are not talking about race here at all. You are talking about colour (or US identity politics defined race). Where does 'white' end and 'brown' begin. Where does 'Asian' start and 'European' end.

I guess he's going by the old definition of the 5 races of man in a general sense. Of course we are all the human race.

Yes I would if I liked her and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

If they are humans then they are all fair game would be my philosophy. White Black Arabs, suppose its like how you take your tea or coffee, just try them all and then you'll find out or not.

It's something of a moot point for me, I have no intention of "dating" again, quite happy where I am, but honestly I don't know. I think attraction is somewhat linked in a lot of us to that which we see is similar to ourselves. I think the "reach" for most white people is Orientals, similar enough in appearance but just different enough to be exotic. Can honestly say have never really found black girls to be as attractive, even South Asians, Indians etc I would struggle to see as pretty.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that tbh, it's inbuilt natural bias and we admit that to ourselves we'll have a much healthier relationship with our attitudes to racism.

This is in general the answer I think most Irish people would hold. Nothing wrong with it but those who would date outside their race would have preference for races that resemble whites the most. Middle Easterner's (with the exception of their religion I find most White Irish men would date them). Latina's (who also have a lot of white blood due to their history of Spanish/Portugese imperalism).

Women who are black are not considered very attractive. But I disagree with you on South Asians, At least the ones who are 'Westernised' I find very hot. Same with mixed race light skinned Indian women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We are all the same race.

Erm... you are wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Women who are black are not considered very attractive.
    By Whom? You? The Ku Klux Klan? Nazis?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Aryan is not the old word for caucasian. It's a misunderstanding by occultist groups and the Nazis which was taken on.

Ayrans are ancient Iranian and Indian people. So no Irish people aren't Aryan and neither are Germans. Slavs are white, as are Irish and Spanish people. You are also getting mixed up between race and ethnicity.

Just shows how subjective this all is.

Aryan is not the old word for caucasian. It's a misunderstanding by occultist groups and the Nazis which was taken on.

Ayrans are ancient Iranian and Indian people. So no Irish people aren't Aryan and neither are Germans.

It is the word that is used in American identity politics for Aryan which is where the OP gets all of his opinions.

Wibbs wrote: »
    By Whom? You? The Ku Klux Klan? Nazis?

I'm sure some of those would too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Erm... you are wrong.
    Race is an outmoded concept. Populations would be far more accurate. They generally follow the old racial definitions, but it's far more accurate. EG If you say "African" which population? Africa has the highest human genetic diversity on the planet. Makes sense as that's where modern humans sprang up and spread from. You could have two "Black" Africans living 100 miles apart that have the same outward physical traits but are more genetically diverse than a Swede and a Greek.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Race is an outmoded concept. Populations would be far more accurate. They generally follow the old racial definitions, but it's far more accurate. EG If you say "African" which population? Africa has the highest human genetic diversity on the planet. Makes sense as that's where modern humans sprang up and spread from. You could have two "Black" Africans living 100 miles apart that have the same outward physical traits but are more genetically diverse than a Swede and a Greek.

I remember an African man who told me he could tell, with some certainty, what part of Africa a person came from by just looking at them. He asked could I do the same with Europeans. Not so but would have an idea of the region usually.

As for the original question? My preference is for Caucasian for the want of a better word, more Latin the better, olive skinned brunettes kinda thing. Some Iranian women. Oh be the hokey. :D I'm quite sure there are zillions of African and Asian women I'd be mad for and would have zero problem with that, but never really felt that so far. Though tbh I will say I never got the whole Asian near fetish among some. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Ive never met a pretty woman that i didnt like, dragging racism into the equation is just racist, if I like her and she likes me then yeah, go for it, see how it fits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have no problem dating any type of ethnicity.

But I do think it can be difficult to find harmony with different cultures. For example even our european neighbours do not align with Irish culture, obviously there are differences. But the strongest relationships I have had, have been with Irish women or men, they get the bullshight, they understand what being Irish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I think east African women are among the most beautiful in the world, I wonder is that why it's called "the horn of Africa"?...

Getting coat

saabsaab wrote: »
    I remember an African man who told me he could tell, with some certainty, what part of Africa a person came from by just looking at them. He asked could I do the same with Europeans. Not so but would have an idea of the region usually.
    Well Africa is a massive continent with consistent modern human occupation going back about 200,000 years, with even today different populations in the four corners of the place, whereas Europe has had modern humans for around 50,000 years and it's much more one lot of them and the populations got very small at times(ice ages and that). We're much narrower genetically.

Though interestingly our phenotype(how we look basically) is the most variable on the planet. In one extended family you could have grey/blue/brown/whatever eyes, straight hair, curly hair, brown, red, blonde, black hair. Whereas in other populations its pretty much all black hair, brown eyes. One hypothesis reckons it's because our populations did go so low that in order to avoid inbreeding we may have sought out unusual features in mates and they got added in over time.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have no problem dating any type of ethnicity.

But I do think it can be difficult to find harmony with different cultures. For example even our european neighbours do not align with Irish culture, obviously there are differences. But the strongest relationships I have had, have been with Irish women or men, they get the bullshight, they understand what being Irish is.
    Funny enough I'm the opposite. I prefer the differences. Small ones anyway. In the sense of say me and an Italian. We'd be close enough so living there or here wouldn't be nearly the learning curve as me and I dunno a Fijian I also prefer a different shared experience that I can learn from. In some ways my idea of purgatory is someone having the same background to me, where there's bugger all to explore.

Well Africa is a massive continent with consistent modern human occupation going back about 200,000 years, with even today different populations in the four corners of the place, whereas Europe has had modern humans for around 50,000 years and it's much more one lot of them and the populations got very small at times(ice ages and that). We're much narrower genetically.

Though interestingly our phenotype(how we look basically) is the most variable on the planet. In one extended family you could have grey/blue/brown/whatever eyes, straight hair, curly hair, brown, red, blonde, black hair. Whereas in other populations its pretty much all black hair, brown eyes. One hypothesis reckons it's because our populations did go so low that in order to avoid inbreeding we may have sought out unusual features in mates and they got added in over time.

Yes. Got a DNA test a while ago and it put me down as not 90% irish/welsh/scottish/british as expected but part asian! No family links there that I know of..Migt explain why a girl once asked if I was part Japanese once though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Most irish are mutts
    There's a mixture of english scottish norman viking etc in my family there's brown hair red hair black hair blue eyes brown eyes etc even blonds

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17124-4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When I was younger, I'd definitely have said yes. Now though, I'm wondering if such a thing would be frowned upon and/or whether or not there'd be other issues. I find mixed race and especially Middle-Eastern women to be very, very attractive so otherwise, I'd be quite happy to give it a go.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement