Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party activists told don’t use 'big words' when talking to rural voters

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

NcdJd wrote: »
    Hi Base, it done well but I chopped it all up last week as it had gone to seed. In the next few weeks it should start coming up again for spring. Slow start to the bees but eventually they came in their thousands. Alot of different hoverflies but hard to get photos of them as they don't hang around long. One thing that was missing was moths. There used to be a load of moths flying around it but didn't see any this year. It's worth if you can to try it in a block on its own, just to see the bumble bee activity on it.

I also tried a bed of buckwheat. Just an experiment to see if it is any good as a sort of a wind break I could use for delicate crops. It shoots up very fast. Looks to be more suited to smaller pollinators. Didnt see many bees on it.

The phacelia looks to be the best out of all I tried but seed is expensive.
    I might see if Mary in Europrise can get it any cheaper for me next year.

Buckwheat photo.
    I buy 5kgs of phacelia seed every year that I broadcast along with the mandatory linseed and it's rolled onto the WBC. I bought 3kgs of buckwheat seed in 2018 to add to the mix on the recommendation of a local bee keeper cause apparently bees like it. Unfortunately buckwheat can cause brown snout (photosensitisation) in cattle and I haven't bought it since.

This site is where I buy our phacelia seed from - https://www.fruithillfarm.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    I buy 5kgs of phacelia seed every year that I broadcast along with the mandatory linseed and it's rolled onto the WBC. I bought 3kgs of buckwheat seed in 2018 to add to the mix on the recommendation of a local bee keeper cause apparently bees like it. Unfortunately buckwheat can cause brown snout (photosensitisation) in cattle and I haven't bought it since.

This site is where I buy our phacelia seed from - https://www.fruithillfarm.com/

That's where I bought it too ha. The only bees I saw on the buckwheat were honey bees.

I bought I think 25 kilos of sunflower seeds from them in the year of the drought ( couple of years ago 2018? ). Ground was too dry for germination so they were just sitting in the soil but I made the mistake of leaving a bit of spilled seed up the top of the field and the squirrels copped on to it. Little b@stards, between them and a group of doves they cleaned the whole plot out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Had a spud farmer beside me recommend a no till market gardener to me earlier in the year. Neversink Farm.
    Spud was impressed with what was happening.

On another note, the greens would be happy with me today.
    Had the lamborghini out cutting the hedges today

Oooh, SouthWesterly has a Lamborghini:pac:

They look after you well in there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Apparently the reason the Green Party didn't get votes in rural Ireland is because they use too many big words when canvassing outside urban areas?

https://amp.independent.ie/news/green-party-activists-told-dont-use-big-words-when-talking-to-rural-voters-and-travellers-39583179.html?__twitter_impression=true

Well, I'm convinced anyway:D
    condescending see you next tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Feckin civil servants and their lambos.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Remember looking at one at a show - it even had a coffee maker. Now thats something I could do with in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Arcadian Hibernians view this hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic and her confederates with floccinaucinihilipilification.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Arcadian Hibernians view this hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic and her confederates with floccinaucinihilipilification.

We have a keeper here ^^^^^

Well done poster :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,947 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Clearly Eaomon Ryan taking the advice, is he actually capable of putting a single sentence together and coherently. He seems like a decent sort but mother of God he's a terrible public speaker. I realised how bad when he was bizzarely sent out to lead last nights government press conference, it was just dreadful to watch, I think we got one mumble and not a single journalist bother to ask him a single question, I understand why.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement