Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party activists told don’t use 'big words' when talking to rural voters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Apparently the reason the Green Party didn't get votes in rural Ireland is because they use too many big words when canvassing outside urban areas?

https://amp.independent.ie/news/green-party-activists-told-dont-use-big-words-when-talking-to-rural-voters-and-travellers-39583179.html?__twitter_impression=true

Well, I'm convinced anyway:D

Choking on my Shakespeare reading that... how the fck do these loolas get elected..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NcdJd wrote: »
    Choking on my Shakespeare reading that... how the fck do these loolas get elected..

She said it herself, they used words like climate change and biodiversity in rural areas instead of using words like hedges and sparrows and heat. Those big words should only be used with people that understand them, I assume...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

She said it herself, they used words like climate change and biodiversity in rural areas instead of using words like hedges and sparrows and heat. Those big words should only be used with people that understand them, I assume...

You assume the person who's decided the words are too complicated has a clue what the realities are also, aside from they sound like nice important buzzwords from similarly minded people in a circle jerk with the new age woke meaning of encouraging people to 'create better outcomes'. Wtf does that even mean?

Don't fear Buford, I think I have some of these big words sussed. I'll share my learning with you.

Biodiversity - weeds
    Recyclable - can be fcked into the green bin
    Compostable - can be fcked out into the field.
    Energy efficient - shopping around for the best deals on diesel and coal.

If I learn more fancy words I'll let ya know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And they still can't understand why people won't vote for them.. :D

How long will it take for the penny to drop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Isn't that communication 101, adapt your language to your audience?
    The world is far to concerned with buzz words these days, some use them to seem smart, virtuous while others use them to trigger a response. If you took any speech made by opposition politicians and removed the buzzwords they would sound stupid

You assume the person who's decided the words are too complicated has a clue what the realities are also, aside from they sound like nice important buzzwords from similarly minded people in a circle jerk with the new age woke meaning of encouraging people to 'create better outcomes'. Wtf does that even mean?

There used to be a punk band called circle jerks. I've a lady on my LinkedIn profile who's always liking articles about corporate sustainability. It's complete rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I saw the Green lady herself on Twitter trying to defend this. She claimed she meant no more than use plain English or non-BS when talking to us culchies.

It’s a compliment in one way. I’d be more insulted if I was a townie and she assumed she could just use big words and BS to impress me!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Apparently the reason the Green Party didn't get votes in rural Ireland is because they use too many big words when canvassing outside urban areas?

https://amp.independent.ie/news/green-party-activists-told-dont-use-big-words-when-talking-to-rural-voters-and-travellers-39583179.html?__twitter_impression=true

What a fatuousness dunderhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

More to the point - she should have issued them copies of John B Keane's book "Letters of a successful TD" - goes much further than just wearing the GAA jersey while canvassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I says wrote: »
    What a fatuousness dunderhead.

They're 2 very big words, break it down please

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't say "buzzword" to a farmer. They'll think you said "buzzard".

:)

Not your ornery onager

More to the point - she should have issued them copies of John B Keane's book "Letters of a successful TD" - goes much further than just wearing the GAA jersey while canvassing.

It’d be an education for her to read any of John B Keane’s novels. He captures rural life and presents people in a way you won’t get from official CSO records of the time.

But sure he’s only another culchie, not from the right literary set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    They're 2 very big words, break it down please

Kerry Cow will explain - she's "educated"

It’d be an education for her to read any of John B Keane’s novels. He captures rural life and presents people in a way you won’t get from official CSO records of the time.

But sure he’s only another culchie, not from the right literary set

It certainly wouldn't hurt anyway.

The frightening thing for me is this came from official GP policy on canvassing.

So all those canvassing were told this and not one of them thought to question this directive?

That's quite a distance they have to go to reach voters in rural Ireland because that's quite a high horse they're currently riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

The arrogance of this woman is unreal, sure we are all cave dwellers once you leave the pale!!

Has anyone had any interaction with green party members calling to their farms?
    https://www.independent.ie/news/green-party-activists-told-dont-use-big-words-when-talking-to-rural-voters-and-travellers-39583179.html

It certainly wouldn't hurt anyway.

The frightening thing for me is this came from official GP policy on canvassing.

So all those canvassing were told this and not one of them thought to question this directive?

That's quite a distance they have to go to reach voters in rural Ireland because that's quite a high horse they're currently riding.

I’d have given the benefit of the doubt to grassroots members of the Greens, assuming they were far removed from the Dublin leadership—as is the case with all other political parties. But as you say, the fact that none of them questioned this canvassing advice says much about their view of their neighbours and peers.

You’d have to wonder though if other political parties offered similar canvassing advice when it came to talking to the plebs? E.g. would those seeking inner-city votes have been told to dumb it down when walking around housing estates? Or is it just the Greens who have such snobbish airs and graces?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The arrogance of this woman is unreal, sure we are all cave dwellers once you leave the pale!!

https://www.independent.ie/news/green-party-activists-told-dont-use-big-words-when-talking-to-rural-voters-and-travellers-39583179.html

You left out the’and travellers’ bit. Does this imply that in the eyes of the Green Party rural voters are just another ethnic minority? Sorry about all the big words, hope no one here is confused now 💩

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I’d have given the benefit of the doubt to grassroots members of the Greens, assuming they were far removed from the Dublin leadership—as is the case with all other political parties. But as you say, the fact that none of them questioned this canvassing advice says much about their view of their neighbours and peers.

You’d have to wonder though if other political parties offered similar canvassing advice when it came to talking to the plebs? E.g. would those seeking inner-city votes have been told to dumb it down when walking around housing estates? Or is it just the Greens who have such snobbish airs and graces?

I would think myself most parties are the same Siamsa. At the end of the day it's about getting your vote and telling you what you want to hear when you ask them questions or bring up an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

• Advertisement

I actually googled scientology after reading this thread. I've no idea why I done that but there were phrases like utopia, green deal and sending the little people off to be re-educated on how to live your life in a wolf friendly way. I was imagining Eamonn Ryan's head being preserved with electrical wires coming out of it in 100 years time and it being like the oracle of all knowledge. And an annual celebration where people are given their yearly supply of food tablets and government approved clothing.

I feel really fcked up now.

They never canvassed out as far as here.

I assume they ran out of small words before they could get here.

All green party members will be encouraged to attain the five elements.

Convergence - align your inner green tendencies to the party manifesto of elevated thought.
    Universalism - Learn to converse with both urbanites and our ethnic country friends.
    Nutrition - Attain skills at rooting out meat eaters.
    Trees - Learn how to speak in a respectful way to trees avoiding phrases that upset trees. Also learn how to plant trees and what a spade is used for.
    Sustainability - Learn how to make your sh1te smell of lavender so you can save on bogroll.

The five principles or C-U-N-T-$ for brevity, will be available after your monthly direct debit is set up by your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

NcdJd wrote: »
    I would think myself most parties are the same Siamsa. At the end of the day it's about getting your vote and telling you what you want to hear when you ask them questions or bring up an issue.

Would agree...

The greens seem to be extremely naive...

You have Ryan and his reintroducing wolves, which I know was taken out of context - but as a politician he should have seen how it would play out...

Then you have this muck on how to talk to county people :)

Is there anyone with an ounce of media awareness in there?

Would agree...

The greens seem to be extremely naive...

You have Ryan and his reintroducing wolves, which I know was taken out of context - but as a politician he should have seen how it would play out...

Then you have this muck on how to talk to county people :)

Is there anyone with an ounce of media awareness in there?

I know I've been joking about it but it is very insulting thing to say and again just shows how aloof they are from the general public. There's just an arrogance there that they have all the answers and everyone else is stupid and needs to be educated.

Edit They haven't a bull's notion what biodiversity is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know that family. Just goes to show how careful you need to choose your words.
    Political careers can end with a wrongly choosen sentence...........

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

A fool knows everything that he knows.
    A smart man knows more,but more importantly,how little he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭endainoz

And the greens wonder how farmers don't trust them. I did vote green in the GE but she didn't get in.

This type of language is just insulting intelligence, even if she does come from a rural background.

With all that being said though, the Irish Independent is a rag of a paper that pretends to be a broadsheet. They are also experts in pushing people's prejudices. This article achieves all of that. BUT the quotes are there, and she'd badly want to clarify these comments soon to save any bit of credibility.

Any hope there would be a party that has green policies that isn't led by Eamon Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    And the greens wonder how farmers don't trust them. I did vote green in the GE but she didn't get in.

This type of language is just insulting intelligence, even if she does come from a rural background.

With all that being said though, the Irish Independent is a rag of a paper that pretends to be a broadsheet. They are also experts in pushing people's prejudices. This article achieves all of that. BUT the quotes are there, and she'd badly want to clarify these comments soon to save any bit of credibility.

Any hope there would be a party that has green policies that isn't led by Eamon Ryan?

Apparently, it's just the Clare rural voters...
    https://twitter.com/RoisinGarvey/status/1312378815356768256?s=19

Advertisement