Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party activists told don’t use 'big words' when talking to rural voters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

NcdJd wrote: »
    All green party members will be encouraged to attain the five elements.

Convergence - align your inner green tendencies to the party manifesto of elevated thought.
    Universalism - Learn to converse with both urbanites and our ethnic country friends.
    Nutrition - Attain skills at rooting out meat eaters.
    Trees - Learn how to speak in a respectful way to trees avoiding phrases that upset trees. Also learn how to plant trees and what a spade is used for.
    Sustainability - Learn how to make your sh1te smell of lavender so you can save on bogroll.

The five principles or C-U-N-T-$ for brevity, will be available after your monthly direct debit is set up by your employer.

You cannot say spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    You cannot say spade.

HELLOOOO BOG MAN. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

whelan2 wrote: »
    They're 2 very big words, break it down please

Stupid not correct or carefully thought out and the other is a posher name for brain dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Would agree...

The greens seem to be extremely naive...

You have Ryan and his reintroducing wolves, which I know was taken out of context - but as a politician he should have seen how it would play out...

Then you have this muck on how to talk to county people :)

Is there anyone with an ounce of media awareness in there?

i dont think it was taken out of context at all , the smirking jackass actually advocated the reintroduction of wolves to ireland to keep down the deer population ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

oneten wrote: »
    i dont think it was taken out of context at all , the smirking jackass actually advocated the reintroduction of wolves to ireland to keep down the deer population ,

Maybe - I though it was asked as a hypothetical type question and he foolishly answered he’d like to see wolves return in his lifetime... I didn’t think it was promoted as an actual green policy...
    But I don’t have the link where I read it, so I stand to be corrected oneten...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

He was quiet serious
    opinion piece in the examiner , good take on it
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/arid-30954770.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

She said it herself, they used words like climate change and biodiversity in rural areas instead of using words like hedges and sparrows and heat. Those big words should only be used with people that understand them, I assume...

I think the next time one of these eejits rocks up the door- I'm going to happily conform to their existing prejudices on the use of 'big' words such as biodiversity

Green party person: Hi I'm here to canvas your vote. The birds are very important you know ...

Me. Begowah awisha - is it yourself? I've heard tell on de wireless- that the big thing now is this thing - 'biodiversity'. Does that come with the birds included? Now would I be getting that at the local co-op or is it that your selling it yourself*?

Rinse and repeat till they fek off ... ;)

*Narrated in the voice of the Leprechaun from Darby O'Gill and the Little People ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

gozunda wrote: »
    I think the next time one of these eejits rocks up the door- I'm going to happily conform to their existing prejudices on the use of 'big' words such as biodiversity

Green party person: Hi I'm here to canvas your vote. The birds are very important you know ...

Me. Begowah awisha - is it yourself? I've heard tell on de wireless- that the big thing now is this thing - 'biodiversity'. Does that come with the birds included? Now would I be getting that at the local co-op or is it that your selling it yourself?

Rinse and repeat till they fek off ... ;)

They don't canvass out here.

I'm assuming they are disoriented by the lack of footpaths and street lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So they come out to stat that they need to change their language from the idealogical to the practical, and people have an issue with that?

If people really understood the implications of things like Climate change and the changing bio-diversity then they wouldn't simply glaze over and vote for the guy that fixes the pot-holes.

That they continue to do so would indicate that they are not understanding the real message. So at least the Green Party is taking the view that rather than blame the person, blame the message. So adjust that message to the audience.

Seems like they have listened and are trying to change.

hardly something to have a go at them for.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So they come out to stat that they need to change their language from the idealogical to the practical, and people have an issue with that?If people really understood the implications of things like Climate change and the changing bio-diversity then they wouldn't simply glaze over and vote for the guy that fixes the pot-holes.That they continue to do so would indicate that they are not understanding the real message. So at least the Green Party is taking the view that rather than blame the person, blame the message. So adjust that message to the audience.Seems like they have listened and are trying to change.

hardly something to have a go at them for.

No they don't. They start by pushing brain farts as part of their politicised environmental agenda and continue by being condescending twats with the impression anyone outside the environs of D4 or thereabouts need talked down to. They can go an fuk off.

Farmers more than most are aware of many of the very real issues of biodivesity and climate change. Check the forum if you are in any doubt.

Removing the foot from their mouth would be a start ...

• Advertisement

They are saying that their message isn't resonating with the farmers, which given that are you state that farmers are more than most aware it is odd that it isn't aligning with them. So something needs to be done.

It would appear that they accept they have a communication problem, summed up by your view on them, and they are trying to fix that.

Would you prefer if they simply continue on with their current ways?

Farmers and those in the country should be the core demographic of the green party, particularly in a country that sells itself on its greenness. But they have nearly no impact, which is either down to the people in the party, the message or the voters. Looks to me that they are trying to change the message since they cna't really do much about the other two.

They are saying that their message isn't resonating with the farmers, which given that are you state that farmers are more than most aware it is odd that it isn't aligning with them. So something needs to be done.

It would appear that they accept they have a communication problem, summed up by your view on them, and they are trying to fix that.

Would you prefer if they simply continue on with their current ways?

Farmers and those in the country should be the core demographic of the green party, particularly in a country that sells itself on its greenness. But they have nearly no impact, which is either down to the people in the party, the message or the voters. Looks to me that they are trying to change the message since they cna't really do much about the other two.

Its not hard to understand. The "green party" have shown that they have little or any clue about the environment. And that's why it doesn't resonate with voters - not just farmers btw.

They are first and foremost a left wing political party. They are certainly not the 'environment' or even anything even close.

My abiding rule in voting is dont vote for the eejits and no matter what the sound bites I'm going to stick to that. Thanks.

Edit. I note you've moved your position that farmers don't understand environmental issues to the fact that they do and therefore should jump into bed with the green party lol.

I never said Farmers don't understand the issues, can you point out where I said that.

You don't think the Green party have any clue about the environment, yet you claim they are the condescending ones!

Of course it resonates with voters, they have been in government twice, and in the main their initial ideas were taken by the larger parties.

They are pushing for a better environmental focus across all agencies. More cycle paths, public transport, investment in green energy etc etc. Have they made mistakes, of course, show me the party that hasn't.

I don't know why it doesn't resontate, my guess if that farmers have put in huge amount of work and investment to get our produce to the excellent level it is and having to listen to people talk about how we need to drastically reduce our energy consumption, need to move away from some of the farming practices that are currently used, well I doubt that is an easy sell.. Especially when they see other countries not taking similar action.

But the OP was about the Greeen party looking to change their message to try to resonate better. I fail to see how anyone can view that in a negative light. Whether it works or not, only time will tell. But I see it as refreshing honesty from a political party that is looking at themselves rather than blaming others.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They want to see the destruction of your livelihoods and way of life

Turkeys voting for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I never said Farmers don't understand the issues, can you point out where I said that.

You don't think the Green party have any clue about the environment, yet you claim they are the condescending ones!

Of course it resonates with voters, they have been in government twice, and in the main their initial ideas were taken by the larger parties.

They are pushing for a better environmental focus across all agencies. More cycle paths, public transport, investment in green energy etc etc. Have they made mistakes, of course, show me the party that hasn't.

I don't know why it doesn't resontate, my guess if that farmers have put in huge amount of work and investment to get our produce to the excellent level it is and having to listen to people talk about how we need to drastically reduce our energy consumption, need to move away from some of the farming practices that are currently used, well I doubt that is an easy sell.. Especially when they see other countries not taking similar action.

But the OP was about the Greeen party looking to change their message to try to resonate better. I fail to see how anyone can view that in a negative light. Whether it works or not, only time will tell. But I see it as refreshing honesty from a political party that is looking at themselves rather than blaming others.

Is there any green party policy that is good for farmers?
    I can think of a good few that specifically negatively target farmers

Here in the context of talking about farmers -
    Leroy42 wrote:
    If people really understood the implications of things like Climate change and the changing bio-diversity then they wouldn't simply glaze over and vote for the guy that fixes the pot-holes.
    ...You don't think the Green party have any clue about the environment, yet you claim they are the condescending ones!Of course it resonates with voters, they have been in government twice, and in the main their initial ideas were taken by the larger parties.They are pushing for a better environmental focus across all agencies. More cycle paths, public transport, investment in green energy etc etc. Have they made mistakes, of course, show me the party that hasn't.
    I don't know why it doesn't resontate, my guess if that farmers have put in huge amount of work and investment to get our produce to the excellent level it is and having to listen to people talk about how we need to drastically reduce our energy consumption, need to move away from some of the farming practices that are currently used, well I doubt that is an easy sell.. Especially when they see other countries not taking similar action.But the OP was about the Greeen party looking to change their message to try to resonate better. I fail to see how anyone can view that in a negative light. Whether it works or not, only time will tell. But I see it as refreshing honesty from a political party that is looking at themselves rather than blaming others.

Thank you for the party political broadcast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I feel a rant coming on.. I think I'll power up oul betsy the computer so I have a keyboard for my fat fingers.

I was on the Green Party website there looking at the environmental protection area. Lots of nice ideals working with farmers to improve biodiversity and environmental protection, banning pesticides, single use plastics etc etc. Nothing I don't agree with in a perfect world.

A few realities need to be stated with regard to food production here and elsewhere in the world.

The only reason there is agriculture on this planet is to feed people. You grow crops to go directly to consumers or to animals which eventually end up in the gob of the consumer. This is the way it is. There's no magic tablet anyone can take to keep themselves full. With that in mind land needs to be farmed at the expense unfortunately of our local wildlife populations. There's no getting around this, when you put something in your mouth as food it was produced at the expense of biodiversity. So you by putting that piece of fruit, veg or meat in your gob has contributed to the loss of biodiversity. Same way when you mow your lawn or decide to purchase a new house or get your garden all decked or complain that the briars are sticking out on your cycle path and the council sends out a hedge cutter to resolve your complain. All of it results in a loss of biodiversity. All human activity results in the loss of biodiversity. Picking out farmers is easy as it means you can easily blame the bogey man / or woman farmer and excuse everything else that you do that contributes to biodiversity loss. That new greenway that you applaud has resulted in biodiversity loss and disturbance of nature.

That lady, Roisin whatever her name is.. I looked on her twitter account and one of her tweets was about organising an event which including seed bombing... this is ridiculous... does she know what seeds were in these bombs ? where did they come from... all that's required is that the ground is left and not cut every bloody 2 weeks... ridiculous pie in the sky oh look at me I'm flinging seed bombs in the name of biodiversity... f off.

I saw a recent article about the invasive oak moth species been discovered on Oak trees that were planted by a council as part of their "biodiversity" program. These trees came from Holland. Why did they not get native Irish oak trees provided by Irish producers ? What are the greens doing about if I want to purchase 200 trees from Choilte and look at their catalogue… which I have.. there are European hawthorn trees instead of Irish hawthorn tress ? The greens were lauding the extensive planting along new roads of trees. I look at the hawthorn trees in spring and the flower about 3 weeks before native Irish ones... Again carbon foot print and the risks of another disease that is currently wiping out our native Ash trees.... ignored as fck the Irish producer.

They want a reduction in dairy herds and less cattle... this is a good one... lets reduce the agricultural production area of this country and plant more trees. Lets look at that for a moment. Friend of mine is currently producing a little under 1000 acres of vegetables of various types for supply to supermarkets. Some of machinery involved in doing this would cost more than the average suburban home. He's up to his eyeballs all the time, gets paid very small margins for his produce which is why he has so much under production. His father had 40 / 50 acres growing more or less the same vegetables and put all his kids through school... yet his son has to upscale to a huge area so he can put his kids through school after what's left paying workers and machinery bills.... Do you not think there is something wrong in that ? What have or will the Greens do about that ? Nothing.... it would mean people would have to pay more for their food and that would not be popular. Farmers are not even on the bottom rung of the ladder and everyone just keeps on kicking them in the head while they are flat on the ground just breaking even as far as I can see.

People need to look at their own contributions to Biodiversity loss / Climate change etc... Remember - Agriculture only exists to feed people... I don't even know why most farmers bother anymore.... easy for someone sitting in an office munching on their blueberries that got flown in from South America and posting bull**** on social media whinging about the stupid dumb cnt farmers... Or going into the supermarkets and paying sweet **** all for produce that has a lot of hard work behind it.

As far as I can see... and you can check out the Nature on the Farm thread... the only people that give a f about wildlife and do practical things to help out things is farmers and some wildlife enthusiasts .. Most of the country wouldn't know a buzzard from a sparrow hawk... yet they find it ok to lecture people who see these things everyday from the comfort of offices in Dublin or wherever they are...

Farmers are currently on the ground, as far as I'm concerned the Green Party just want to give them a kick in the head instead of helping them up or walking away. There is nothing I can see that the Green Party are doing to address proper pricing for food producers so they are not squeezing every inch of ground to make a reasonable living, acknowledging the fact that farmers are more bloody aware of biodiversity then most and not treating people as thick cnts cause they assume we are all bloody muck savages who know nothing other than turning a key in a tractor or what time the milk lorry is coming in at.

/Rant over

And to Leroy, this is not a rant against you personally. At least you posted in here and tried to explain your point of view.

And one more other thing which I forgot to mention... being a left leaning party why aren't they taking issue with all the vegetables coming in from Spain everyday that are grown using basically slave labour ? This is why a Spanish courgette displayed next to an Irish courgette is cheaper....

If I wanted to get 5 acres ready now to plant garlic bulbs for harvest next year I'd struggle to get an outlet for them.... yet there are tons of Garlic coming in every week from China been sold in supermarkets all over the country that is being processed by Chinese prisoners in prisons... they peal it with their mouths after the acid in the garlic dissolves away their finger nails....

But it's grand it's cheap and the supermarkets wouldn't be buying **** that was produced by slave labour or forced labour....

Again fck Irish producers they should be growing trees for people to look at.

oneten wrote: »

I was talking to a man yesterday who's very into his shooting and deer stalking. He also happens to have well connected buddies. He reckoned NPWS has 5,000 applications in for deer stalking, but to date have only managed to process 2,000 of them. In his own case, he cannot legally go shoot deer at the moment as his application isn't processed.

Clearly, and as usual in most stuff they deal with, NPWS is at fault for deer over population, fast track the applications and let the problem be dealt with.

That I have met NPWS rangers at rewilding events is entire coincidental I am sure.

• Advertisement

They don't canvass out here.

I'm assuming they are disoriented by the lack of footpaths and street lighting.

Tis a pity that doesn't seem to stop them here ... :rolleyes:

I'm now considering increasing biodiversity here by adding a moat with some friendly alligators ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Choking on my Shakespeare reading that... how the fck do these loolas get elected..

People put a number beside the name. I believe a low one is better than a high one. Could be just a rumour though for us jackeens to believe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

blue5000 wrote: »
    You left out the’and travellers’ bit. Does this imply that in the eyes of the Green Party rural voters are just another ethnic minority? Sorry about all the big words, hope no one here is confused now 💩

I got confused when you said 'you'. :)

I'm a dub living in kerry but there's no way in hell would I vote green.
    Had the local FF canvasser here telling me they'd be going in with the greens. I laughed in his face at the thought. Maybe he thought since I was a dub and wouldn't vote FF. I'd vote Green.

I don't think he'll be back next time.

Had no one else call bar SF. Was more Diplomatic in my dealings with them. Didn't want to end up in the local bog.

A man around here used to have a sign up at his gate basically saying politicians not welcome at election time.

I always thought he was a mad oul divel. Looking back now maybe he wasn't so mad. I might put up one in his memory come the next election. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

People put a number beside the name. I believe a low one is better than a high one. Could be just a rumour though for us jackeens to believe :)

who was it who famously said "if in doubt, leave 'em out" - Albert or Dessie ?

Local farmer rang the green party earlier in the year to ask them if they could plant some of that biodiversity beside his corn. He said the biodiversity never germinated and all he got was weeds. Must have been bad seed. Them feathery flying rat beaky thingys seem to be happy though. I'm gonna ring the local green party tomorrow to see if they know the names of the weeds and if there are names for the different sized feathery flying rat beaky thingys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Local farmer rang the green party earlier in the year to ask them if they could plant some of that biodiversity beside his corn. He said the biodiversity never germinated and all he got was weeds. Must have been bad seed. Them feathery flying rat beaky thingys seem to be happy though. I'm gonna ring the local green party tomorrow to see if they know the names of the weeds and if there are names for the different sized feathery flying rat beaky thingys.
    How is your phacelia doing. Ours is still flowering away in the wbc and I saw bees, hoverflies and other insects on the flower heads yesterday.

Hi Base, it done well but I chopped it all up last week as it had gone to seed. In the next few weeks it should start coming up again for spring. Slow start to the bees but eventually they came in their thousands. Alot of different hoverflies but hard to get photos of them as they don't hang around long. One thing that was missing was moths. There used to be a load of moths flying around it but didn't see any this year. It's worth if you can to try it in a block on its own, just to see the bumble bee activity on it.

I also tried a bed of buckwheat. Just an experiment to see if it is any good as a sort of a wind break I could use for delicate crops. It shoots up very fast. Looks to be more suited to smaller pollinators. Didnt see many bees on it.

The phacelia looks to be the best out of all I tried but seed is expensive. I might see if Mary in Europrise can get it any cheaper for me next year.

Buckwheat photo.

And one more other thing which I forgot to mention... being a left leaning party why aren't they taking issue with all the vegetables coming in from Spain everyday that are grown using basically slave labour ? This is why a Spanish courgette displayed next to an Irish courgette is cheaper....

If I wanted to get 5 acres ready now to plant garlic bulbs for harvest next year I'd struggle to get an outlet for them.... yet there are tons of Garlic coming in every week from China been sold in supermarkets all over the country that is being processed by Chinese prisoners in prisons... they peal it with their mouths after the acid in the garlic dissolves away their finger nails....

But it's grand it's cheap and the supermarkets wouldn't be buying **** that was produced by slave labour or forced labour....

I think this kinda thing may be more suited to our 'greens' tbf. The irony is palpable ...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/truck-load-of-carrots-dumped-outside-london-university-12086398

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭endainoz

Great points there, people tend to forget that factory vegetable farming can be just as bad as factory meat farming.

I think reducing inputs is the way to go for farming, don't see greens coming up with any ideas here. They really haven't done themselves any favours here.

Advertisement