Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party questioning Travellers intelligence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"Intelligence" doesn't equal "education"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Piehead wrote: »

And not just towards travellers

Green Party activists told don’t use 'big words' when talking to rural voters and Travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oh my god. How patronising. Imagine saying that in an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

Oh my god. How patronising. Imagine saying that in an interview.

It’s not that bad. I think she is being taken out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Seems like this is just her personal take on it.
    It’d be far better if they stopped talking bull**** to all of us, and came up with ways to improve our environment impact without just taxing everything to oblivion. But then again, it is the Green Party, patronising and uninventive are the foremost words I think of when i think of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's the spoon fed trust fund mentality, anyone outside their clique must be stupid,
    pushing people to borrow money to retrofit their homes that they'll never see a return on in their lifetime, Greens are offspring of bankers,they are just pimping the parents business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

The cute country folk and travellers are more intelligent than the average green voter, thick enough to waste their vote on a bunch of social climbing schoolteachers, too stupid for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Greens are harmless and well-meaning sorts, but incredibly naive for the most part. They appeal to the suburbanite crew - farmers markets, families in hiking gear, sourdough bread sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Typical. Similar to the trendy liberal ***** in the Labour Party, P.B.P., bollix Murphy etc who know what's best for the great unwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s not that bad. I think she is being taken out of context.

It's allright for people like you who understand big words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Boss and Hoss, are small words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Greens are harmless and well-meaning sorts, but incredibly naive for the most part.

Perhaps that was true back in the day, but the younger wing of the party (including those who vehemently opposed entry into coalition government) are cultural Marxists and SJW's, who's policies are a world away from insulating your attic, taxing carbon and brewing up some elderflower wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"It's not your job to show off that you know cool terms when you’re canvassing. It's to show that you can relate to everybody," she said.

Biodiversity, such a cool term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Perhaps that was true back in the day, but the younger wing of the party (including those who vehemently opposed entry into coalition government) are cultural Marxists and SJW's, who's policies are a world away from insulating your attic, taxing carbon and brewing up some elderflower wine.

That's not the Green Party I recognize in the slightest. Activists I know are architects, engineers, scientists and in other skilled occupations. Have their head screwed on and are a degree more thoughtful with a more defined vision for the economy and society than the average yahoo from the 'big 2' parties, who can often be just loudmouths on-the-make.

They have an image problem in rural areas, but then again there are parts (only parts mind you) of rural Ireland that are completely resistant to sensible planning and a farming lobby that for the longest time thought it was their constitutioanal right to harm our shared environment (again, they're slowly coming around to the ideas that the environment is there for us all).

That said, this Senator's notions on rural voters and 'big words' are patronising sh*te. The neighbors either side of my homestead, well in the sticks would eat her for breakfast with 'big words.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

People get their knickers in a twist so easily these days.

Communication is only effective if the receiver understands the message. For example, there is no point in an IT expert using technical jargon to those who don’t understand. They have to change words and rephrase into such a manner to assist the message transmission. It is up to the message sender to ensure that the receiver can understand. From all I see here, that is what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Travellers are far more intelligent than any Green Party member .
    Travellers never work a day in their lives , can have as many children as they wish , drive a new car and have a free house .... a lot more than most Green Party members who go to work speaking big words .

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Communication is only effective if the receiver understands the message. For example, there is no point in an IT expert using technical jargon to those who don’t understand. They have to change words and rephrase into such a manner to assist the message transmission. It is up to the message sender to ensure that the receiver can understand. From all I see here, that is what is going on.

Well then her communication of her ideas on how to communicate with rural people and travellers is not exactly going to endear the party to the target audience. They can't help scoring own goals whenever they do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I agree the younger Green Party members would have us all running around in Aran jumpers, walking to work barefoot or subsistence living off the vegetable patch, chicken and goat in the back garden. They are totally out of touch with reality.

As for what this one said, saying you have to use little words when dealing with travellers and country folk is very very patronising and insulting, and just shows that she needs a good lesson in communications herself.

Well then her communication of her ideas on how to communicate with rural people and travellers is not exactly going to endear the party to the target audience. They can't help scoring own goals whenever they do anything.

It looks like the message I sent wasn’t clear enough or used the right language.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Headline of article is misleading to be fair. She used working with Travellers as an example where you need to relate to the people you’re interacting with, and one size doesn’t fit all.
    Of course as soon as Travellers are mentioned, it’ll get jumped on.

I’m not a fan of the Green Party or anything, but this is just bad reporting.

• Advertisement

I know what they mean. I'd be the same with anyone who actually votes for these spoofers

I'm pretty sure it's the patronising manner they've done out with this is where people take exception. Bunch of arrogant pseudo-intellectuals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Odhinn wrote: »
    And not just towards travellers

Is it any wonder they have an issue with attracting rural voters when they come out with patronising guff like this?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's the patronising manner they've done out with this is where people take exception. Bunch of arrogant pseudo-intellectuals

Hmm. She was explaining to others how to communicate with certain groups. How would you have phrased it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"If you start engaging with people and you're using - even the word sustainable or biodiversity - this is vocabulary that's new stuff and we shouldn't assume that people understand what they are.

"Let's talk about the flowers, talk about the cattle. Talk about the robin, the sparrow…

"I think colloquialism is important and I think simple vocabulary includes everybody.

"It's not your job to show off that you know cool terms when you’re canvassing. It's to show that you can relate to everybody," she said.
    Nothing wrong with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Heres some small words for the GINO wokeflakes...

Feed In Tarrifs.

Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Madeoface

All the footage of the traveller infighting and feuding in Mullingar and Drogheda etc doesn't show a proficiency in the language to be fair.

Has the OP some insight that simplicity is not the way to go with this cohort or is the OP's view they are all reading Albert Camus in the evening or arguing about the merits of the EU's carbon tax policy?

Why the greens want to communicate with this insular lot at all shows how naïve and too 'right on' they are.

screamer wrote: »
    I agree the younger Green Party members would have us all running around in Aran jumpers, walking to work barefoot or subsistence living off the vegetable patch, chicken and goat in the back garden. They are totally out of touch with reality.

As for what this one said, saying you have to use little words when dealing with travellers and country folk is very very patronising and insulting, and just shows that she needs a good lesson in communications herself.
    While the older green party members ride off into the sunset with their ministerial pensions, giving a token nod to being green with their bicycle businesses of questionable economic viability.

Madeoface wrote: »
    All the footage of the traveller infighting and feuding in Mullingar and Drogheda etc doesn't show a proficiency in the language to be fair.

Has the OP some insight that simplicity is not the way to go with this cohort or is the OP's view they are all reading Albert Camus in the evening or arguing about the merits of the EU's carbon tax policy?

Why the greens want to communicate with this insular lot at all shows how naïve and too 'right on' they are.
    Breaking news,"Green party canvassers to challenge travellers to bare knuckle boxing matches to get their votes"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Nothing wrong with that tbh.

You don't think country people know what the words sustainable or biodiversity means? You think they might vibe better with people canvassing on their doorstep saying "Arrah muckie, you wouldn't be seeing much of the wee robins about the heads of cattle these days, wisha" ?

Advertisement