Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veterinary vampires

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You are free to buy all you require from the vet.
    After all fools and their money are easily parted.

Ah Donegal there you are... thanks for returning, and what a burn :)

Sure funny, smart men like you don’t need vets - you could surely bring the animals back from the dead with your sharp wit ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:DonegalForever, Dinzee Conlee: Enough, thanks! Move on.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

kerry cow wrote: »
    well what is it worth ,
    put a figure on it .

I'm not a vet or not even nearly as qualified as a vet but an out of hours callout for me is 6 hours pay + travel.
    So that's just over €100 for my time plus expenses
    Like I said I'm not nearly as qualified as a vet so my one is surely worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    I'm not a vet or not even nearly as qualified as a vet but an out of hours callout for me is 6 hours pay + travel.
    So that's just over €100 for my time plus expenses
    Like I said I'm not nearly as qualified as a vet so my one is surely worth more.

Jesus may not being funny but it's no wonder you are a poor farmer. If I am called out during the day its 350 just to go then whatever time on site and expenses parts and reports. It sure stops the after hours call out. 1 in 5 yrs is all I Ihave had. 8 o'clock on a summers evening. Took until 3 the next morning to get the machine up and running. Left with a cheque for 1300 and that was only time and travel. I use the vet sparingly here as we don't have a large herd. Never vaccinate as never needed to. Only dose.for worms as needed also. For the last 3 yrs only seen the vet for tests. Now that won't keep him in business so I am glad he has others to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

kerry cow wrote: »
    looks like our new minister of agriculture ,sees an end insight for the eradication of TB , dont worry the vets won't go hungry .they are going to continue to feed off the farmers , with the axe falling on the licenced merchants ,

yet it has been good enough for them to service us all the years gone .
    its the veterinary club looking after each other and seeing the TB gravy train will finish up .
    so it a case of tie up the dosing and the vaccine market .

how have our farm representatives allowed this is beyond me , how weak we are represented .
    Dont get the vet out again, if you think so liitle of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I never said that Vets are generally too expensive.
    I pointed out the excessive mark-up I encountered.
    In the example I gave the Vet was 76% more expensive that the Merchant.
    Can that be justified? I doubt not.
    (Perhaps you are not smiling to yourself now).

Merchants can buy products in bulk and get a better deal. Your regular veterinary practice is not able to do that, especially with products that have a short shelf-life like vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

with the new animal remedies regulations coming in January is it time for the farm organisations to ask minister charlie to follow the minister for housing lead and impose a limit on price increases to inflation index ?

Advertisement