Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Cancel Richard Dawkins.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I dont know much about his political beliefs, probably would have classed him as more right than left.... he was definitely cancelled by the left though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Why would they be cowards, what's a snowflake?

They want university to be a 'safe space'

Someone who wants university to be a 'safe space'

(What's a 'safe space'?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They want university to be a 'safe space'

Psychology term, makes sense in that world to, but debates should be encouraged, but to be respectful in differences

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dont know much about his political beliefs, probably would have classed him as more right than left.... he was definitely cancelled by the left though

Definitely? Why so sure?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Psychology term, makes sense in that world to, but debates should be encouraged, but to be respectful in differences

In the woke sense it is a rejection of the psychological healing process which it is a part of.

They have made it a reinforcement of the problem behaviour or mode of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Danzy wrote:
    In the woke sense it is a rejection of the psychological healing process which it is a part of.

That's very interesting, it's being used as a negative tool for all the world? Maybe it's showing how disenfranchised many youth have become?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Zookey123 wrote: »
    This really is a low point for TCD. Huge Dawkins fan and I don't agree with 100% of what he says but complaining about him and ruining it for everyone else is so annoying. People need to learn how to have a discussion and not just stick your head in the sand when you hear a differing opinion.

nothing to do with trinity. trinity have not banned or cancelled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/richard-dawkins-sexist-atheists-bad-name

He's said some objectionable things, all the more reason to challenge him.

No no, if you rock back and forth in your safe space then the mean man doesn't exist.

I have little time for Dawkins but the man (sorry for the triggering) is made of proper old school Uni debate material, and this is just laughable. A decade or two back, uni's would have been falling over themselves to get him in to give the Catholic Church a bash. I wonder who'll be persona non grata in a decade's time?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think by disinviting an intellectual over their notions or ideals, is betraying students the opportunity to make their own minds up about something.

Well yes, I think that's the whole point. And has been the case in university's for some time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread locked prior to moving to Current Affairs forum for review. May be reopened here by the local mods.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement