Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Cancel Richard Dawkins.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Not being funny but I'm struggling to understand your viewpoint. You said you would be worried if you heard a protestant say"no surrender." But simultaneously criticise Dawkins for his opinion on "allahu akbar." Sounds like you are both on the same page.

I am imperfect. Therefore I would worry if I heard no surrender.

But also ..i have been conditioned and I recognize this.

Whereas I have heard allah Akbar shouted in very celebratory happy joyous ways. So i am not conditioned to have the same response.

I can understand why a victim of a bombing would HAVE such a response.

As i said in another post. Its very human.

Im not so sure Dawkins not having been through a terrorist event has been so traumatized or conditioned.

Rather i feel he has been attacked by the left or ...been in the fight so much ...he just wanted to punch hard because he's trying to survive.

Its just trying to shoot an arrow at an online target.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Another TCD student society, 'The Phil', invited him and had him speak there in 2013, as their flagship event of the year. Times have changed.

Its not just times that changed. Its also Dawkins himself who changed. Or let himself be changed by the opposition.

nthclare wrote: »
    I'll wear it with pride without the prejudice :)
    BLOOMERS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think by disinviting an intellectual over their notions or ideals, is betraying students the opportunity to make their own minds up about something.

I just thought of something.

If Trinity had any issue over a lawsuit to do with sexual misconduct on campus etc. Or harassment. Either faculty or students.

Having a slew of speakers who said stuff like he has said would not look good.

Although i realize it was a society decision and not a faculty one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The_Brood wrote: »
    As someone who is not an atheist I disagree with Dawkins on many important matters, but the far-left that dominates academia, pop culture, and much of politics seeks to actively censor and cancel everything and anything remotely connected to science, history, and reason.

Eh, that's not the far left, that is social liberalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    to be or not to be that is the question

That's quite possibly the dumbest article I've ever read.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    That's quite possibly the dumbest article I've ever read.

He did really say some odd things about pedophilia.

Dawkins has slowly become what he hates. Irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Secular liberal =/= Religious authoritarian. Do we just call ourselves whatever we want now with no regard to the meaning of words?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Secular liberal =/= Religious authoritarian. Do we just call ourselves whatever we want now with no regard to the meaning of words?
    dawkins is not liberal. And some of his comments can seem like while he is atheist he is not secular.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Treppen wrote: »
    Have you got an example of that?

The Frankfurt school/ critical theory, (sometimes known as cultural marxism) originated with German jews (in Frankfurt, unsuprisingly) They moved on to America during the rise of fascism. Very influential thinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Richard Dawkins has written some great books but is without a doubt, one of the worst representations of atheism to ever grace the public sphere. I absolutely cringe whenever I see him appear on anything, as much as I enjoy hearing his viewpoint.

It's like trying to listen out for notes of beautiful music in nails screeching down a blackboard.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Richard Dawkins has written some great books but is without a doubt, one of the worst representations of atheism to ever grace the public sphere. I absolutely cringe whenever I see him appear on anything, as much as I enjoy hearing his viewpoint.

It's like trying to listen out for notes of beautiful music in nails screeching down a blackboard.

He needs a shaking up in his thinking alright. (and I'm an atheist).

I would prescribe Richard one gram of dried liberty cap in a comfortable setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dawkins is not liberal. And some of his comments can seem like while he is atheist he is not secular.

I was thinking more of the people cancelling the visit. I'll bet they consider themselves open-minded liberals when they're anything but.

Not secular?

I was thinking more of the people cancelling the visit. I'll bet they consider themselves open-minded liberals when they're anything but.
    ah i see

The utter paradox of it all.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not secular?

Yes. The combining of religious ritual or symbols with nationality as he did with the cathedral bells.

By the way ..he calls himself a christian.
    Richard Dawkins: 'I am a secular Christian

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/10853648/Richard-Dawkins-I-am-a-secular-Christian.html

He also said he preached the teaching of christ. And called him christ rather than jesus of nazareth.

He has swerved very close in some comments to saying he has faith.

He has said things like ..a world without god would lead to moral decline.

He has said ending religion would be a bad idea.
    Presumably only his religion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ending-religion-is-a-bad-idea-says-richard-dawkins-sqqdbmcpq

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Lovely to see, the left turning on itself, guess he was not woke enough, suppose it happens eventually to everyone, there will always be someone pushing further to the left and canceling those who do not agree, meanwhile the rest of us sit back and laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Students being a shower of self-important dickheads. Some things never change.

Circumsised or no?

That is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

buried wrote: »
    I don't agree with Dawkins viewpoints, and I wouldn't be a fan of organised religion, I just don't dig his refusal to accept the possibility of a reality beyond what is perceptible to human senses in our evolving minds.
    I'm pretty certain he has never "refused" to accept the possibility of a reality beyond that perceptible to human senses - rather his position is "if you want to make an assertion, prove it". He does not have a "religious" belief (i.e. an unwarranted and absolute certainty) that such things do not exist - rather he simply acknowledges that such things are highly, highly unlikely but cannot be categorically ruled out.

Dawkins has said for years that on a scale of 1-7 (one being a religious fundamentalist and seven being atheist) he'd consider himself a 6.

So his mind is open enough that if evidence of a God ever surfaces, he will accept that evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

He only says that because he doesn't have the balls to say he knows there will never be any evidence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

da_miser wrote: »
    Lovely to see, the left turning on itself, guess he was not woke enough, suppose it happens eventually to everyone, there will always be someone pushing further to the left and canceling those who do not agree, meanwhile the rest of us sit back and laugh.

Is Dawkins politically left? Was he cancelled by someone on the left?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Brian? wrote: »
    Is Dawkins politically left?

Dawkins himself has stated that his political views are left-leaning.[1] However, many of Dawkins's political statements have created controversy among left-wing and atheist communities

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_Richard_Dawkins
    Was he cancelled by someone on the left?
    As a Management Science and Information Systems Studies student at Trinity College Dublin, I am fascinated by how technology can change the world of business and our society. In particular, I am also interested in how, through legal and economic policies, we should regulate the tech industry to ensure we are creating a fair society.

bridodonnell.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dawkins himself has stated that his political views are left-leaning.[1] However, many of Dawkins's political statements have created controversy among left-wing and atheist communities

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_Richard_Dawkins

bridodonnell.com

He recently spoke at the Lib Dems conference in the UK. The Lib Dems are not left wing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The historical society strikes me as cowards.
    Debates aren't about comfort, they are about moving society forward.
    Too bad Hist have been hijacked by snowflakes.

"I'm sorry, but we'll only do debates with people that think exactly like us" /posh accent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,940 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

biko wrote:
    The historical society strikes me as cowards. Debates aren't about comfort, they are about moving society forward. Too bad Hist have been hijacked by snowflakes.

Why would they be cowards, what's a snowflake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they feel hurt. I feel hurt.

If you feel hurt. I feel hurt.

It's all comes back to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement