Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I suppose to each his own but I have never understood the need to propose in public , let alone on TV .

I’d be bleedin’ morto but I think it does depend on the person. Others would enjoy a dramatic proposal. Hopefully she’s one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Highlights from 10 years in the baking tent on at 8pm tonight.

Thank goodness, I was wondering what I'd do with my Tuesday evenings now the series is over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Highlights from 10 years in the baking tent on at 8pm tonight.

Thank goodness, I was wondering what I'd do with my Tuesday evenings now the series is over :(
    This should be better than any ep from this series anyway...

Look at the Kimjoy and Nadia type seasons compared to the mediocre offerings this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Watching these highlights makes this series pale into insignificance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jesus, night and day difference between this year and other years. Other seasons are miles ahead

I Guess it's not a fair comparison with covid though

Flo went out in episode 3 of season 8 and I'm not sure if many bakes this season were better than her water melon

That well was incredible

I'm only a far as Kim-Joy's space turtles, and OMG the standards :eek: The imagination and ambition that went into that are just off the scale!

I accept that fkn covid probably had a lot to answer for this series, but seriously, like!!

(and we haven't even got to the lion bread yet, which i didn't see at the time but know from snapshots)

Oh my good God almighty.... the well :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

TBH, I'm not impressed with that well that much because it's basically a block of chocolate which you wouldn't want to eat, it's only a few tiny biscuits around it and that's it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I didn't know about the highlights programme, going to watch it later, thanks!

j@utis wrote: »
    TBH, I'm not impressed with that well that much because it's basically a block of chocolate which you wouldn't want to eat, it's only a few tiny biscuits around it and that's it.
    Yeah, but the vision and imagination and skill that went into building it so that it was an actual working well...... compared to some of the bakes this time.....

I don't know what the brief was in that round (I never saw that series) so maybe the current lot weren't challenged as much this time (thankfully, IMO!) but I just think it's on a whole different level.

And the lion bread - I'd seen glimpses of it before, but again not having seen the series at the time that's the most I've seen of the baker and the story behind it - just WOW!!!

More GBBO nostalgia tomorrow night.....

GBBO: The Winners, looking back at the winners of all the series over two programmes.

First 5 series on tomorrow night at 8 on C4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

One thing I did notice about the highlights programmes - possibly deliberate- is that the focus was a lot on the - surprise surprise- bakers who are coming back for the Christmas and New year specials.

A look back at the first few winners on now.

Can't remember when I first came across Bake Off, but that lot were all brand new to me!

How simple it all looked back then. Joe Public gawping into the tent in a town carpark!!!

Can't remember when I first came across Bake Off, but that lot were all brand new to me!

How simple it all looked back then. Joe Public gawping into the tent in a town carpark!!!

I vaguely remember Ed but no memory of tent moving around like that

I clearly wasn't watching in 2011 either.

What a "journey" Jo went on! Lovely story.

I remember Jo well , she grew in strength and confidence and was so lovely 😊

• Advertisement

OMG, those pies!!!!!!!!

Nor 2012 or 2013 either, evidently!!

Goodness me, the innocence and lack of telly-savvy of them all!! (I know there's a word for that, but damned if I can think of it right now).

And that youngfella's mother, the year of the three male finalists..... I'd have happily swung for her! :mad:

Well I have no idea where I was in 2015 because these people mean nothing to me strangely

Yeah, I think the second one is where I came in, knew none of them at all.

There's a New Year's Bake Off from 2019 on E4 now if anyone else fancies completely overdosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great British Bake Off Christmas Special

Four contestants from previous year will battle it out to win the title of Christmas Star Baker.

Jamie Finn and Rosie Brandreth-Poynter from the 2019 show will be taking part. Also joining them is 2017’s baker James Hillery and 2018 finalist Ruby Bhogal.

Matt Lucas will present the Christmas special with Great British Bake Off: Extra Slice host Tom Allen stepping in for Noel Fielding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Watching the winners show there. I must have been watching since 2011...i didnt think i had been watching for so long. The first series is the only one i havent seen :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watching the Christmas episode on channel 4....why would they bother bringing back Jamie?!?
    He went in the second week...and should have gone in the first from what I remember...he is clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

gmisk wrote: »
    Watching the Christmas episode on channel 4....why would they bother bringing back Jamie?!?
    He went in the second week...and should have gone in the first from what I remember...he is clueless

Looks like he joined a boyband since he got booted off the show

Did someone (ie them all) forget to turn the proving drawers on? :confused:

• Advertisement

That turkey illusion cake was insane. Very impressive

Advertisement