Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Customer Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Degag wrote: »
    Every call centre has spikes. If there are an influx of calls at a certain period and not enough bodies able to answer them at that time then waiting times will increase. What she said was that on average wait times across a week were (i think) 6 mins.

Mondays in general in call centres can be the busiest day but there can be alot of factors.

Not every call center has at least 3 minutes of preamble just to get to the department you need and then tells you that there is a massive queue even when they aren't busy.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Not every call center has at least 3 minutes of preamble just to get to the department you need and then tells you that there is a massive queue even when they aren't busy.

Yeah their IVR messaging is uber annoying for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭HBC08

Every call centre has spikes. If there are an influx of calls at a certain period and not enough bodies able to answer them at that time then waiting times will increase. What she said was that on average wait times across a week were (i think) 6 mins.

Mondays in general in call centres can be the busiest day but there can be alot of factors.

I simply don't believe her when she says the average wait time was 6 or 10 mins or whatever she said,it doesn't tally with any reality of anybody I know trying to contact Eir.
    When challenged she was a bit flustered and said it's busier on Mondays.Id wager you could call any day of the week and it would be the same.
    This isn't a normal spike in calls in a call centre,that happens all the time but you don't see it so consistently shambolic that the CEO has to go on Primetime to apologise and then go in front of an Oireachtas committee the next day.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I simply don't believe her when she says the average wait time was 6 or 10 mins or whatever she said,it doesn't tally with any reality of anybody I know trying to contact Eir.
    When challenged she was a bit flustered and said it's busier on Mondays.Id wager you could call any day of the week and it would be the same.
    This isn't a normal spike in calls in a call centre,that happens all the time but you don't see it so consistently shambolic that the CEO has to go on Primetime to apologise and then go in front of an Oireachtas committee the next day.
    For sure. I’m not sure i believe her either because it doesn’t tally with my experiences similar to the people you know.

All i was saying is that it was a reasonable assertion that someone could be waiting for 30-40 mins at certain periods of a day/week and for the average to be considerably lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

As mentioned earlier in the thread there should be a provision that if the option to sign up online is available then the company must be mandated to have Customer Support and options to Cancel online as well. Perhaps even go so far as to ensure that CS agents call centres and webchat locations are in regions where English is the primary language.

In college I worked for a now dead multinational ISP and as CS agents we were told under no circumstances to 'escalate' a call - this was in addition to the fact that we had no authority to cancel, refund, amend contracts or even provide credit to people who were genuinely hard done by.

What was the solution? In order to keep your average call time down people had to hang up on those who they knew they couldn't help. I refused to do it and of course got warned on four occasions about my calls being far too long and for me 'pestering' the team leaders.

I left after three months - what a horrible place. Made me appreciate my new number though.

When I had to phone Eir about mess ups with my contract I made sure to let the person know on the other end that I know it's not their fault, as I've been there, and I know there's not much they themselves can do. Fortunately they resolved the problems I had with my BB - but I ensured that comreg were told that I have a problem with the running of the service provider and not the staff who are on such poor salaries as it is.

Moral of the story? Like everything most companies don't care about customer support - it only stands out in particular with service providers. Would people pay €5 per month more to be able to talk to a human who can fix the problem quickly and without difficulty? I don't know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

HBC08 wrote: »
    I also thought she didnt come across well on Primetime.
    Despite the presenter giving her an easy enough time she appeared annoyed that she had to explain herself and overly combative for somebody supposed to be offering an apology.

I thought she had a car crash last night on Prime Time, she seemed to be blaming Covid and Sligo for not having staff with experience in call centres which is a load of rubbish when training periods are just a few weeks. Theres a TD on Newstalk now calling for her to apologise to the staff in Sligo for what she said. She also didnt come across very CEO-like, moreso a middle manager who has been promoted too high.

In any case the main problem hasnt really been addressed. Aside from the 40 minute to 1 hour waits to get through when you do eventually get through often your problem is not resolved. So if its something like you being overcharged on your bill the CS agent might tell you that it is going to be resolved and your account credited but then a few weeks later you find out that it hasnt happened and round you go again on hold for another hour to get through. Or if you try to close your account you get told it is done and then the next month another bill lands in your postbox. They just cant seem to do anything right, its amazing that they are still the biggest operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I find it unbelievable that the Eir CEO said that they could not hire during the lockdown. WTF? I hired multiple staff during the lockdown. It can be done. Sure hiring people virtually has it's challenges but it is not a showstopper. It is unbelievable that the CEO of Ireland biggest communication company thinks that you can't hire virtually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,149 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I have a diary, started in the summer, with all the calls I've made and waiting time. 6 minutes average is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

JTMan wrote: »
    I find it unbelievable that the Eir CEO said that they could not hire during the lockdown. WTF? I hired multiple staff during the lockdown. It can be done. Sure hiring people virtually has it's challenges but it is not a showstopper. It is unbelievable that the CEO of Ireland biggest communication company thinks that you can't hire virtually.

This is what I couldn’t understand as well. We successfully recruited and trained technical service desk agents during the last 6months. Just took a little bit of process change.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I have a diary, started in the summer, with all the calls I've made and waiting time. 6 minutes average is untrue.

She said in the last week i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, just saw this companies CEO at a Dail committee hearing, She's some piece of work, I'll refrain from what I really thought of her other than saying it was a disgusting display of arrogance. It's the staff in Sligo, it's their fault, just extraordinary, how is it remotely possible this T***** got this job, just mind boggling.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

So Covid and Sligo are to blame for their atrocious customer service for at least 15 years? Some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

MOH wrote: »
    So Covid and Sligo are to blame for their atrocious customer service for at least 15 years? Some neck.

Brass neck more like

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

You'd swear eir is the only company in Ireland that had to move their customer care agents to working from home over night. How did every other telco do it without such a disaster?

Typical excuses from eir and blaming on the ground staff. Yes, Care Centres generally have a high turnover in staff, but the eir loss of staff is excessive and thats down to poor management. As it always has been. A car crash Prime Time interview and an even worse Oireachtas appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Its no coincidence they were overtaken by a new company 2 years ago and that's when they decided to bring customer care in house. Its no more what she said last night in that they wanted to manage it themselves better.....it was a cost saving measure by the new owners njj. They are notorious for cost cutting and running a lean business. Id say Carolan has no control due to lack of budgets and resource to run Eir effectively as ultimately NJJ are just in it for the short term. They have come in ...cut the high costs such as staff and rents to make a quick profit and then put them back up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Frankie19 wrote: »
    Its no coincidence they were overtaken by a new company 2 years ago and that's when they decided to bring customer care in house. Its no more what she said last night in that they wanted to manage it themselves better.....it was a cost saving measure by the new owners njj. They are notorious for cost cutting and running a lean business. Id say Carolan has no control due to lack of budgets and resource to run Eir effectively as ultimately NJJ are just in it for the short term. They have come in ...cut the high costs such as staff and rents to make a quick profit and then put them back up for sale.

I wonder how little of the original Telecom Eireann is left as regards assets/capability?

How the state made such a monumental mistake selling the actual telephone network has lead us to this point. National Broadband Plan probably wouldn't cost as much either because of this.

Here's hoping there's a positive result for people out of this controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eir is worse than Sky to deal with and that takes effort.
    Took me over a week but despite the lies and dropped calls I managed to end my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

FGR wrote: »
    I wonder how little of the original Telecom Eireann is left as regards assets/capability?

How the state made such a monumental mistake selling the actual telephone network has lead us to this point. National Broadband Plan probably wouldn't cost as much either because of this.

Here's hoping there's a positive result for people out of this controversy.

I'm hoping the end result is that Comreg are finally given the proper powers to end this type of behaviour seen in the industry

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think she meant to say that 6 minutes was the average time before the agent hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

The call center has been open two years in Sligo. The fact that Carolan thinks it's 1 is very worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Still blaming HCL after 2 years. Absolute disgrace of a ceo. I worked in hcl and we had our faults for a number of different reasons but it was nowhere near as bad as it is now. Carolan is walking a slippery slope is looks like. Looks like a football manager who's just been given the vote of confidence

Also said Sligo call center is only a year old when it's two

Same here! And didn't she say no on in Sligo has experience of working in call centers so they are basically useless? Do you not train them. Car crash interview

Was actually on to Eir a few weeks ago after they started charging my friend between 4-6 euro a day for data charges all of a sudden - some 60 euro of credit gone and as soon as he topped up was taken again.
    A week of calls over an hour each time, sometimes twice a day, resolved nothing - moved him to Tesco

The software they use (assume they are still using) was a hacked version of software for a different system to that in Ireland. They paid a fortune for it and are still paying a fortune and while in the most part it works ok it has a lot of bugs and barriers to doing stuff like queuing up multiple actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Frankie19 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the end result is that Comreg are finally given the proper powers to end this type of behaviour seen in the industry

Hopefully so, Comreg are basically a regulator without teeth. They need the power to fine companies for under performance, something that would bring results when they are hit in the pockets. As it stands Comreg are little more than an extention of Eirs call centres, you cant get through to Eir so you complain to Comreg who then get through to them on your behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keenanem

Eir's direction was the blame quality of contact centre staff and covid. Covid and contact centre staff did not cause the underlying issues with people being over charged or for line faults.
    The problems start deep within the company and how they actually service their customers.
    Stop blaming contact centre staff as it's such an easy way out when they have no power in changing any processes or policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

MOH wrote: »

I’m on another forum and eir crap customer care are tops there also, what a joke of a company

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They really are amazing. Just off the phone with them about money they owed me €45 and they said they can't do refunds without my approval. So person said it is rare it happens but they charge you a full month even if you close you account. The policy is not to refund money unless they have permission from account holder. So person did a refund without my asking my permission. I say that is amazing how you managed to do a refund to my bank without asking my permission so you broken your company policy. Of course the line dropped when I raised that.

Before that she told me I could have done it through customer care but mentioned that you account number no longer works as soon as line is turned off. So you can't get through to them.

You can be sure if you owe them they'd be looking for it. Awful company

Rant over and chest cleared

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    They really are amazing. Just off the phone with them about money they owed me €45 and they said they can't do refunds without my approval. So person said it is rare it happens but they charge you a full month even if you close you account. The policy is not to refund money unless they have permission from account holder. So person did a refund without my asking my permission. I say that is amazing how you managed to do a refund to my bank without asking my permission so you broken your company policy. Of course the line dropped when I raised that.

Before that she told me I could have done it through customer care but mentioned that you account number no longer works as soon as line is turned off. So you can't get through to them.

You can be sure if you owe them they'd be looking for it. Awful company

Rant over and chest cleared

I got mucked around too, then found this and got my 30 odd euro back in about 7 days.

https://www.eir.ie/support/online-forms/Refund-Request/

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I got mucked around too, then found this and got my 30 odd euro back in about 7 days.

https://www.eir.ie/support/online-forms/Refund-Request/

It is just bs that you've to go chasing your money even though they sent me emails to say my bill is ready to view online 2 months after account closed.

Nobody should have to go chasing their money but I just felt they try and tell you anything to fob you off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    It is just bs that you've to go chasing your money even though they sent me emails to say my bill is ready to view online 2 months after account closed.

Nobody should have to go chasing their money but I just felt they try and tell you anything to fob you off

100% - they are a **** show.

Fill out and submit the form you should get your money and like me will never ever buy a service from eir ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

VM have also been retaining credits after accounts were closed...
    Virgin Media Ireland to refund over 100,000 customers after telecoms watchdog ruling
    Virgin was continuing to charge customers after services were cancelled. It then failed to refund customers.

It has affected 265,000 Virgin Media broadband and television customers over the six-year period.

Virgin has until March 31 to repay the the 107,000 outstanding customers that have not had a credit applied or which have left the service. The average customer refund will be €33.
    Comreg also said the practice of retaining the credits goes against sections of the Communications Regulation Act 2002.

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/virgin-media-ireland-to-refund-over-100000-customers-after-telecoms-watchdog-ruling-39874983.html

No doubt they'll just put the cost onto bills with a price increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

government allows this crap from all the telcos its cartel and monopoly supported by corrupt
    government and comreg\advertising authority\competition authority have NO power which was
    done purposefully by corrupt liars and thieves FG\FF.
    the same mentioned will NOT give power to prosecute to any of the "laughable supposed oversight
    bodies".
    citizens will continue to suffer and its pathetic that have to try search eu legislation to pursue
    to change for citizens protection.

Advertisement