Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got a pop up ad saying sign up to the Smyth's catalogue so it will arrive at your in Mid-September!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's August!! 😁

"Tis the season to be jolly

Fa la la la la, la la la la..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Can't believe it's August. The year is flying. Just 3 more months until November and full on Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Quickest year of my life. August already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Kids go back to school at the end of the month, 100 days on the countdown mid September, then it's basically Halloween and then the most wonderful time of the year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

There is most definitely a Christmas smell in the air today. Proper excited for the season now in the first time in a long time.

After being out around all weekend at the Spraoi festival here I think a lazy day on the sofa is called for. Might do a bit of online Christmas shopping. Pick up one or two things 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Sounds like a good idea, I've always said I'd shop early so I'm not running around my local town at 16:30 on Christmas Eve like all the other men like me lol

I've 6 nieces and nephews, one present a week shouldn't be hard.

I felt the same yesterday, the light on my drive back to West Clare looked autumnal, the leaves on the trees were changing, and there was a North westerly breeze. Everything gave me the thought of Christmas.

• Advertisement

Yeah I had a rainy day here yesterday and it definitely gave me that autumnal feel too. Absolutely sweltering today though!

Im lying here in a cool house, as in the temperature is Lower than outside the house and it's damp outside absolutely wintery. I can see my bay tree's which hold their leaves all year round and they're glistening, if I go out and grab a few leaves, scrunch them up take a whiff I'm in Christmas lol

Most of my plants have a Christmassy vibe off them. It's amazing the amount of shrubs and bedding plants you can grow that will brighten up your garden around Christmas time.

Love those long drives through the country when its autumnal, the colours can be fantastic.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My favorite drive around Christmas time is from Kinvara in Co Galway through the Burren up the new line,it's full of holly laden with berries. Then swing to the right along that road and it'll bring you down another narrow road towards Carron , on a Saturday or Sunday you can drop into the Burren perfumery for a nice winter cake pot of tea and then drive on towards kilfenora into Ennistymon, which has a good Christmas vibe there too. They even have a Christmas shop every year. It's like being back in the 80's just that old rural Ireland vibe. Oh and you have to have Christmas FM broadcasting in your car....

I didn't know that this forum existed. I love Christmas

I’m glad you found us. We love welcoming new posters and by the sounds of a post like that you’re going to fit in right at home here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Definitively starting to creep into serious Christmas countdown mode alright, starting to get a bit of chill in the evenings and just your mindset starts to think of Christmas.

I put up a line of bulbs to light up the deck in the back garden and I just stood looking at them the other evening and the rest of the family were saying they're lovely but I was thinking they look like Christmas lights to me!😄

Also, the wife bought a few small presents in Boots the other day as stocking fillers so it's starting folks! 🎄👍️

Thanks I love the Christmas vibe, especially the pagan old traditional elements of the brightening up the darkness of the winter. The landscape and people's creativity. Warm crackling log fire's, Ireland's Own the Hollybough etc, movies. I tend to get bogged down with current affairs. And it's good to find somewhere where's there's no debate, just discussion and identification.

I have an app for it it's great! Keeps track of what you bought and for whom. If you have it wrapped and how much you spent etc. Keeps a history then every year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sounds like a good app, I must try and find one like that, I'd say it would be very useful!

Welcome @bad2thebone. 🙂🙂

• Advertisement

Gift List is the name of it. Red present wrapped in a yellow ribbon is it's icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Welcome @bad2dabone It’s a great place here and you’ll fit right in 👍🤶

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Nothing but positivity here and the Bahumbuggers are shown the exit door.

As I've always said anyone who loves Christmas always has a good outlook on life and anyone who says to me that they don't like Christmas I simply tell them can you imagine how long, dark and miserable an Irish winter would be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I actually never thought of it like that but that's a response I'll use in the future. Was in the carpark of Aldi today when a man got out of his car with a lovely Christmas shopping bag. I was tempted to ask him if I could take a photo 😀. And, speaking of Aldi, if anyone is a gin drinker - they have a lovely one on special offer at the moment. It's called Jaw Box, Dublin made and a really nice gin for 29.99 - normal price in other stores is about 45.00. Welcome @bad2thebone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Jeez, you take an online break for a few days and come back to full on Christmas vibes 😂 It's great to see though, lots of bold posts when logging on this morning which makes a nice change after the last few weeks.

Had a nice weekend in Wicklow. Went to the look at the new tree top forest walk in Avondale. Didn't do it as packed and said will come back in the autumn (it's still summer!!) when the trees are changing and will be fabulous.

Rain belting off the roof as I type, the weather has a really autumn feel about it even though it still very mild.

Welcome @bad2dabone, I'm glad you have found our little Christmas community and enjoy your time here.

It's Tuesday already, in what will no doubt be a another quick week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Am on the countdown this week! Four more days & then two weeks annual leave. Am badly in need of it too, experiencing signs of burn out now.

Thanks much appreciated, I think this is a great place to festive and make merry. A breath of fresh air. Do ye post link's here of Christmas vibes. Like old adverts movie's, traditions etc.

My favorite part is the build up from November onwards. There's something comforting about it.

• Advertisement

If you look back through old threads you'll see we've pretty much covered all the bases with adverts, songs, movies etc. Unfortunately when boards.ie moved platform a while back a lot of the links to adverts etc. were lost so those threads look a little bare now.

We'll start a new thread specifically for 2022 adverts though and there are some great long threads re: traditions (do yourself a favour & read the christmas eve traditions thread, its a whopper but is pure christmas bliss) and suchlike. If you have any spare time have a root around and you'll get lost in all things Christmas.

Advertisement