Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have heard conflicting reports. All just rumors and speculation at this stage so guess we'll find out soon enough.

On a different note, is everyone else threads all showing as bold??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭DvB

was earlier, appears back to normal now, for me anyway.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

yep, seems to be back to normal (whatever that is these days on here!) now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

What does everyone think of the latest Covid news?

Can you or can you not have a staff Christmas party? 🤔

Capped at 10 per table... can see some kind of seated arrangements... but little else.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

It's a mad one. If we're eating, drinking or dancing we don't have to wear a mask.

Eh... what else are you going to be doing at a party? 😄😄

If night clubs are going back to normal then functions will to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

First presents bought. Not usually huge in to getting them that early, but if I panic buy before everyone else does its not panic buying, is it!

May head out to get cards in tomorrow if I remember as I've not got many decent ones left. Although I'm not sure how many Eason will have on sale yet.

I assume that as social distancing has to remain then no Santa visits? i.e. sitting on Santa knee (kids not me 😋)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm wondering if the Pantos can go ahead. We've already got tickets for the Helix Panto. I'm sure they will clarify all the different scenarios in the next few days. After what happened in December last year, they are probably being overly cautious so the same doesn't happen again this year.

Not sure its that straightforward. I hope it is though!!

Unfortunately I have friends in the events industry (one of which has been all over the media this past week) who feel the changes are confusing & contradictory at best and that more clear guidelines as to how they are to work in a real way will be required, so they're looking to bord failte's update due today (i think!?) to see if its worthwhile opening.

Nothings ever simple is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I don't think it's anything that no one expected...still think it's weird that nightclubs will be allowed to open, but working in the office is discouraged...not that I'm in any rush back to the office...anyway, just hoping we can have a relatively normal Christmas & that Elf 1 can have a party for her birthday this year - we went back into Lockdown last year on her birthday and she was devastated 😭

Yes, we are supposed to be having our do in the Guinness Storehouse so they will dictate what kind of event it is by following government guidelines so it won't be up to us how it is run.

I think staff that are not vaccinated and can't show their "passport" just won't be allowed attend, I'm very pro vaccine anyway so agree with this, but I'm all for personal choice in this life also. 😊

I suspect there'll be creative ways employed to make certain events take place, but agree re: vaccine passports, without these it ain't gonna happen.

I'd be not a million miles away from yourself LH in being very pro vaccine and having freedom of choice, however when the statistics show that the unvaccinated are disproportionately taking up ICU beds I support the stance that these people through their own choice have excluded themselves from being able to enjoy the opportunities open to those of us who have done the right thing for us as a whole & gotten vaccinated. At some point we have to stop ignoring the big grey thing with a trunk sitting in the corner and accept the reality of the situation & look after the needs of the many rather than having us all impacted by the decisions of a minority.

Absolutely agree with you and very well put DVB.

Choose to not get vaccinated? Fine, but also live with the choice you made. i.e stay away from events/people and don't grumble when you can't get into places. Certainly don't play the victim in all this.

On a more cheery note, hope you and your family have a great time away next week.

And a silly note, I am 48 and 10/12ths old today 😛

Not that far behind me LH... I'm hitting the big 5-0 in Feb!!! 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

I’m long time all-year-round visitor to the forum and occasional poster. Since I love all things Christmas, I used drop in for some seasonal cheer, but alas, no more. I'm not anti-vaccine, pro-vacinne or any other label you'd like to put on it, but I can read this type of banter anywhere on the internet. If I had my way, I'd include it in The Charter to "keep it Christmas" and exclude Covid talk and blaming, as I feel a lot of people come onto this forum to try and forget about it. I thought this had been put to bed last week after this discussion between DvB and Jude but apparently not. Anyway, Happy Christmas 2021 everyone, stay safe and health, I'm off to find my Christmas kicks elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This is a chat thread. Chat threads rarely focus entirely on the forum subject. Plenty of other Christmas threads on here?

Exactly, this is the general chat thread in this forum so while being 90% Christmas related we chat about other current event topics as well. There are individual threads for each of the specific Christmas areas.

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Advertisement

Ha ha, we'll be the same age for a couple of months. The big 5-0??? How do you feel about turning 50?

Apologies for talking about Covid on here, I know everyone's sick of it. But in fairness my original question was would work Christmas parties go ahead. So it was Christmas related a little bit.

Sorry if I dampened your Christmas cheer, was certainly not my intention.

Maybe your Christmas wont be impacted by covid, lucky you, the rest of us may not be so fortunate & through the actions of the minority Christmas is likely to be Covid affected for many (to varing extents), and as already pointed out as this is the general chat thread in the Christmas forum I'll make reference to it if I consider it worthy of discussion. If you don't like it you're completely free to report my posts to the mods & I'll happily comply with whatever action they deem suitable as I 100% respect their authority/guidance in relation to what is suitable for this forum. & on that note @Loughc @Posy if you'd prefer me to delete the subject posts just let me know, I dont want to spoiling the christmas forum for people.

If you do decide to not stick around DeniG2, well that's your decision. Either way, I wish you & yours a happy Christmas, I sincerely hope you have all your loved ones around you and you are all safe & healthy.

Post edited by DvB on

not that bothered TBH. Age never really worried me all that much... its not like I change change it!!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

This is so wrong, the media are to blame for the pitch fork mentality against unvaccinated people. Denmark are at 73% fully vaccinated and are fully open. And if you are upset that unvaccinated are in ICU (along with vaccinated) etc then why not also point the finger at smokers, obese people taking up hospital beds. This is just wrong, making certain people villains when they just simply are not. Some point out that this is a chat forum and a general one within a Christmas theme, that may be the case but all this talk really hasn't any Christmas spirit at all which is a massive shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

A chat thread is just that, a place to chat. It won't always be about Christmas. We all have worries, concerns, celebrations, day to day events etc and this is were we come to chat about anything and everything. If something doesn't interest me, I just scroll by, it's not a big deal. As for vaccine/Covid discussions, everyone is completely entitled to their opinion and to share how they feel.

On a positive note, went to the cinema for the first time since July 2019 (I'm not a big cinema fan)! Saw the new Bond, it was brilliant! 6 of us really well spaced apart in a huge screen so felt grand.

Going for dinner tonight with 2 friends I haven't seen in way too long. Really enjoying getting out a bit more.

Hope everyone's having a lovely day!

Saw the Bond film last week, great isn't it. Really enjoyed it. Have dinner with a few other couples booked for next weekend. Really looking forward to that as well. Is great to be back doing things like this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

This is the off topic thread.

I will edit the thread title later to clarify this.

So it is for discussing things that are not necessarily Christmas related, like Bake Off (yaay) and Covid (booo)

It is to be expected that during a pandemic, people will talk about the pandemic, especially as restrictions meant last Christmas was very different for many people, and this Christmas is going to be impacted too.

However, let's leave the vaccinated/unvaccinated talk to a minimum, because it's a contentious topic and we don't want to start bickering in our happy place, pandemic or not. 😊

I appreciate the sentiment, however, that argument has been statistically proven to not be the case in terms of proportionality for the current post vaccination wave, so forgive me if I respectfully disagree. Though, there is a separate discussion to be had (outside of covid) re the impact of smokers and the obese on our healthcare system i grant you that.

And in the best interests of this forum I'll leave it at that. Off topic thread or not its clear any discussion on this subject is not suited to here and I apologise for allowing myself to share my opinions on the subject.

Take care y'all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,245 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Which of you own this house @Loughc @dv @Posy 😂😂😂

Advertisement