Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

myself and Mrs loughc are just home from our baby moon. We got the house painted while we were away. House smells of fresh paint and that always reminds me of Christmas as growing up my parents would use October/November to touch up the house in fear of visitors calling at Christmas 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Remember those days when you use to visit people or they would call to you out of the blue! Those days seem long gone and now visits are arranged days or weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know if this was around last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone

Chilly one this morning

Whats everyone’s plan for the Bank Holiday?

Oh fab LoughC well deserved I am envious of your freshly painted house 😂 I am sure your OH is delighted after the babymoon and house all freshened up

Hopefully not much longer for all our home improvements to be complete I would have loved to have it done before the bambino arrived but with Lockdowns it just wasn’t possible but sure there are worse things that could happen and we will get there eventually and enjoy our home all spruced up with our little one

Busy week so far I got to the GP with my aches and pains hopefully pain relief kicks in soon, brought my mam for flu jab, my flu jab today, cooked the first stew of the season and the bambino had some along with a nice fresh loaf, nails etc for me this evening out for lunch Saturday with my pal so looking forward to it, probably head for pub dinner Sunday, lots of walks to, some decluttering planned too the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I saw the first Christmas tree of the season yesterday, 20/10/21.

Sam's barber shop, Dorset St, Dublin 1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh, a tree! Yay. 😊

Lots of lights up and going up now around Dublin city centre. 😁

Oh that's great! It was a pain last year not being able to pop in for a calendar and have to buy everything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just out of the local shopping centre and had a good browse at the Calendar Club, definitely wasn't there last year. Hoping we might even have some use for a family planner next year cos there was nothing to put in it this year 😒

Throws are half price in Homestore and more some Christmas ones included https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/throws-fleeces?prefn1=inStockFilter&prefv1=true&sz=96&ajax=true&total=96

I could do with one now I had to turn on the heating it’s chilly, just had a cuppa and coffee slice after my flu jab👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Flu jab on the way for me in work too in the next couple of weeks. Hope your ok after it.

Car was showing only 5 degrees this morning and heating was turned on a little earlier this evening. November getting so close I can almost taste it 😋

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'll avoid controversy and not mention the J word... but yeah, noticeable change in early morning temperature when leaving the house for work, i've started using the heating in the car this week, not by much but the dial was turned up from cold and that's a start! As you say can almost Smell November now its that close... and that means only one thing....

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Happy Long Weekend everyone

all good after the flu jab @Littlehorny thanks

a lot more Christmas stock including garlands on Dunnes Stores online I know someone on here was looking for a Garland from there they previously bought there

has anyone lit the fire yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just sent the elves off to school all dressed up, was lovely to see all the costumes 😀

No fire yet, SarahLil, but you've put the going on me for a stew 🤤

I seen some pictures online it’s great seeing the kids go to school dresssed up I remember so many of them missed out last year

The stew went down well 👌 as much as I love summer and BBQ, Salads, you can’t beat Winter Dinners

in other news my online shop arrived Cadbury’s chocolate orange giant buttons are in it looking forward to trying them, I was really tempted to add selection boxes to the shop but I’ll hold off to mid November to get them then when I have all my new storage and kitchen 🙌 Cadbury selection boxes were 3 for 5 euro or they had the big Cadbury Christmas stocking for 10 euro

On the 22nd of October last year we entered into lockdown 2.

I remember I went into work to find out were we staying open and I was told to go home.

I then got a phone call to say we were staying open.

In a strange way I found November flew even tough none of the Christmasy stuff was really out and you could go no where.

This year should be good. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Thank you SarahLil, that was me looking for the garlands! I had spotted them online, and added them to my basket, but you have just reminded me to actually place the order. I regularly add things to my online basket, only to log in later to find them out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

We put the stove on a couple of weeks ago, just a one off on a cold evening, but I can see it happening more frequently soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Is it a prelit garland? I've been in the market the last few years for a prelit one...or even just a really full one that I can add lights to...

• Advertisement

Heres what they have so far

I’m sure they will have one or two more I got mine when we moved in 2014 it’s lasted well I added my own lights and picked up some extra clip on picks that were very inexpensive it’s holding out well https://www.dunnesstores.com/c/make-christmas/christmas-decorating/wreaths-and-garlands

OH did a great job with ours. They looked great and were so excited to go in all dressed up. Saw a few going in when I was dropping them off and were some great costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Came across this and thought some here might like it...https://www.shopinireland.ie/product/ultimate-family-christmas-eve-kit/

It's a wooden Christmas village you make and paint, plus some chocolate bars with Christmas themed wrappers. Lovely Christmas eve activity!

We had the heating on a lot yesterday for the first time in months. Not only was it only 6 degrees outside but we have all our windows open to air out the house after getting it painted. It’s like the North Pole in here it’s so cold.

Can you believe it’s October mid term? All the talk of jellies on the other thread had me adding some to my shop which reminds me I think I will have some before bed 😂 Have a great weekend elves

Elves I don’t know if any of you have ordered of Shein before I was having a browse earlier they have some Christmas bits, stocking fillers too just read measurements of things and reviews too, I think delivery times are ok too

I haven’t ordered before but if I do I may add a few things to basket and see what they are like

Holidays are coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The one I was looking for is to use instead of tinsel around the tree. I bought two last year, but they were out of stock when I went to buy more.

I am also looking for a pre-lit one to go on my mantle piece. The one I have is from Penneys and close to 15 years old, but I can't find a reasonably priced one that I like!

Brown Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I bought decorated garlands in homestore and more last year. I then bought strings of lights and added them along with extra bits like cinnamon sticks, dried orange slices etc. They were very full and looked really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Afternoon everyone, can't believe we're at the October Bank Holiday again.

I was up in Belfast for a retirement dinner on Thursday and stayed over for the night. Felt weird doing something like that again!

The best thing was I was able to call into Sainsburys on the way down and stocked up on some Christmas treat stuff - e g. Roast turkey and herb flavoured crisps.

Advertisement