Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Not doing any major moving around however changing a few things up as was the kitchen that was here when we bought the house so is not 'our kitchen' if that makes sense!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Excellent! I'll take a look - have you got them before? Are they good value?

Our kitchen upgrade is a few years away because it'll probably involve an extension and that's just one of the many things on the to-do list for the house. So cooking for Christmas this year in a tiny kitchen will be challenging!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One thing we've learned is that there's always stuff to be done with a house. I'm in mine 17 years and we've had a huge amount of work done over the last 6 or 7 years & we're currently getting the front garden done and the Mrs is already planning more (a LOT more😀) so dont get freaked out if you look around & feel like getting loads done... that normal!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

This is true....we are in the middle of groundsworks at the minute (so it finally won't look like we just stopped building yesterday) & one of the kids rooms needs painting, the spare room needs doing, but it's also our "office" for the minute so it's on the very long finger & then I'll probably want to repaint our bedroom so blowing the kitchen wall out of it will have to wait a while 😋

In other news, our company have announced that we will be going back to the office in early October 😥 As I'm only working part time at the minute, I'm really hoping that I can keep WFH....I can't face the commute over the M50 😭

So true, is always something that needs upgrading!

We haven't even started the kitchen yet and OH is looking at fitted wardrobes for one of the bedrooms!!

• Advertisement

we had them done earlier in the year... great now we have them, but they don't come cheap!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I would say she spends it faster than i can make it however she works as well so she spends even faster 😂

I'm obviously only jking and all big financial decisions are decided by committee 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭tscul32

We had decided to spend on redoing the en suite, new sofa, floors downstairs, doors downstairs. Then we put an offer on another house. That's still just sitting there but now we have a puppy so I'm very glad we still have the old floors, doors and sofa. However now have to decide how much puppy proofing to do if we may not be staying long (really need to increase the height of a fence and gate in the back garden before he works out that he could probably climb over it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Was in a waiting room earlier and a man there was wearing socks with snowmen on them 😁

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We have loads to do, but we've the wedding next year so we'll get that out of the way first then we can chip away at the home improvements after that. It's all good 😊

• Advertisement

Takes one to spot one (Christmas fanatic that is!) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Spotted in the UAE!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd recommend the stone, especially if you're getting a good quality kitchen that you want to last a long time! It can add a few weeks, and a few grand onto the fitting though!! 😯

I got a black quartz worktop with sparkly bits to go with my cream kitchen, my friend got her kitchen done last year and she got a blue speckled white quartz. There are some lovely laminated ones out there though, too that look stone-y. 😊

Just noticed Dunnes have a handful of Christmas bits on their website! They have the snowflake tea light holders, I know someone here was looking for them last year 😉 https://www.dunnesstores.com/c/home/highlights/new-in?sort=desc_freshness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Yes I agree you are never done with a house

TRS30 we are the same it’s not our kitchen previous owners it was fairly brand new but space not being utilised and utility too

Thanks Posy I just wanted another opinion if you know what I mean no one I have spoken to regrets the stone

yes leaning towards the stone everything is gone up in price including the laminated ones so for the sake of a few Bob over a number of years if you know what I mean

the kitchen I have picked too can be resprayed down the line

Neyite I haven’t got it from Look Fantastic before I just said I would mention here because they seemed on the ball with notifying about the calendars so early

Jellybear heading straight over to Dunnes for a browse 😍

We got white quartz and cashmere units... said something similar, if we're spending on a decent quality kitchen may as well finish it with a stone counter top. The hard part was getting the wall tiles to compliment both.

Love the stone, so happy we went with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

€4.99 in Aldi and 2 for a tenner in Tesco and Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Would love to know everyone's favourite tub of sweets, for me it's Quality Street all the way 😋

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Me too with Roses close behind.

With the exception of Bountys I HATE Celebrations lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

I was in m&s and they had the Halloween sweets on the shelf when I turned around the shelf behind me had Christmas short bread biscuits

• Advertisement

We did a poll on this a couple of years back and IIRC Quality street won it handily.

QS for me, then heroes, then celebrations, Roses I won't touch these days since they changed the chocolate and variety of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Quality Street miles ahead of any others ❤️

QS for me, then Celebrations, then Heroes.

Really dislike Roses since they changed them and wouldn't buy a tub of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭A cup of te

Years ago I would have said Quality Street were my favourite and Roses a close second but I think both have changed and unfortunately they're just tubs of sugar now. But I still feel all Christmassy when I see them all the same. And love the smell from the QS when you open them but Celebrations would be my favourite. After that I'd say Heroes. I like some smaller items then like Ferrero Rocher, walnut whips, after eights and a good quality box of handmade chocolates! And my favourite *packaging* of all has to be the box of Lemon's Seasons Greetings!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Quality Street for me too, like a lot of folks here! Roses, as has been said are absolute muck these days. 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Celebrations for me. Mars/Galaxy chocolate is my favorite by mile..

I also find them very consistent compared to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Celebrations,

Heroes,

Roses,

Quality Street

Can report no sign of Christmas stock in Dunnes in blanch, in fact they haven't got Halloween stock out yet. Think mince pies appeared around this time last year (& stollen) so will keep my eyes peeled....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭tscul32

QS is the favourite in this house, then heroes and celebrations tie, depends on the mood. Roses are only meh these days.

A coupke of weeks ago I had one of those Cadbury Christmas puddings that were mentioned on the sweets thread and have to say I thought it was lovely.

Advertisement