Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Yes, I know that. What I mean is that if, say, you place high enough in the aptitude tests to be called in the first batch, in a competition in which more than one batch ends up being called, then on MrsBean’s account you will get a job as long as you pass the interview

Do we know if that's the case? As in, does the interview represent a pass/fail progression? Or does your scores from the interview get added to your scores from the first assessment and OOM updated for all those candidates interviewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

We don't yet know what their plan is this year.

Like with every other stage you must pass the qualifying standard, so in that sense the interview is pass/fail. However you are then given an OOM based on your score against the others in your batch, so it is still competitive in that regard.
    Last year, the final OOM was based on both the interview score and your score in the presentation exercise, both of which took place on the same day.

It will likely be different this year in that it will probably be a remote interview, and perhaps a remote presentation exercise or video interview stage prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 3PL

FenFlynn wrote: »
    There are supervised tests and presentation exercises before the interview or with the interview, this year things are going to be different but I think there are still going to be supervised tests. Maybe like one of those I attended last year, while you are being watched online doing all your tests. I don't see that part being disregarded this year, just don't know how it's going to be approached.

There were no supervised tests for AO 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

That's good know, so it's just the interview and the presentation? That' even one stage less than the EO competition last year.

Hi. I'm just wondering if the supervised tests you took last year were a batch of aptitude tests similar to the online ones we all took? Thanks

I didn't get to stage 2 last time, a friend of mine got the job though and he did the presentation and interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Hindutimes

FenFlynn wrote: »
    I didn't get to stage 2 last time, a friend of mine got the job though and he did the presentation and interview.
    Hi, what type of presentation are we talking about here? like they give you a task and you have to present your solution in a power point?? thx

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

Hindutimes wrote: »
    Hi, what type of presentation are we talking about here? like they give you a task and you have to present your solution in a power point?? thx

If they keep it the same format as before: you get a description of a scenario, two policy choices to choose from and a small sheaf of documents to read. On the basis of the documents, you have to decide which policy choice you think is better and why. You can make notes for your own use but no PowerPoint. You then give an oral report on your conclusions after which you get asked a series of pre-set questions. You can keep both the scenario material and your notes in front of you while doing this.

I can't remember exactly what the time limits are but I think it's roughly in the region of 1 hr to prepare and 15 mins to present, not including questions.

Application handed in. Good to everyone going forward at this stage. Hopefully shortlisting results will be out soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hindutimes

If they keep it the same format as before: you get a description of a scenario, two policy choices to choose from and a small sheaf of documents to read. On the basis of the documents, you have to decide which policy choice you think is better and why. You can make notes for your own use but no PowerPoint. You then give an oral report on your conclusions after which you get asked a series of pre-set questions. You can keep both the scenario material and your notes in front of you while doing this.

I can't remember exactly what the time limits are but I think it's roughly in the region of 1 hr to prepare and 15 mins to present, not including questions.
    Thank you :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Does anyone have a copy of the information booklet? I thought I had it saved but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I also don't have the information booklet. I never delete any files so I'm wondering if there was one?!

If anyone has a copy I'd really appreciate it.

I don't believe there was a booklet. I only have one for the Third Secretary but not for the AO. We just applied and got a link to do the aptitude tests, and then a message to say to fill in the application form.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/graduate-opportunities/all-disciplines

If you scroll down to the bottom you can click 'download information booklet here.

MrsBean wrote: »

If you scroll down to the bottom you can click 'download information booklet here.

That's brilliant! Thanks a mil!
    Never even saw that, just applied and left it there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aes Triplex 94

Hi,

Did anyone get results yet for the Video Interview exercise for this stream?

If not, when are they likely to be issued?

I perhaps should have checked this before applying: what is the age range of typical applicants to this? I realised that it said "graduate opportunity" in the info booklet but only just noticed that the position includes graduate development tasks, i.e., seems to be a grad programme.

Is it ridiculous to go through the process if you're "older"?

What do you consider "older"? I'm in my mid thirties and currently an AO. People of all ages apply for it. It's called a graduate role as you need to have an undergrad to be eligible. I think traditionally it was targeted at people fresh out of a degree, but you find that many serving civil servants will complete a degree and then apply for AO.

What do you consider "older"? I'm in my mid thirties and currently an AO. People of all ages apply for it. It's called a graduate role as you need to have an undergrad to be eligible. I think traditionally it was targeted at people fresh out of a degree, but you find that many serving civil servants will complete a degree and then apply for AO.

Ah, yeah mid 30s. That's fine then, thanks! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TheRoyce

Hi,

Have you already completed a video interview for this stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mouton

Hello,

I'm happy to have ranked within the top 253!

Does anyone with experience of civil service competitions have any advice on filling out the application form (especially the Supplementary Information section)?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 PeachL00pies

mouton wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm happy to have ranked within the top 253!

Does anyone with experience of civil service competitions have any advice on filling out the application form (especially the Supplementary Information section)?

I've just handed mine in. They use the application at later stages if you get called for interview - I just included additional voluntary experiences and information relating to professional development/courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Hi,

Hello. I am also in the Industrial Relations Stream; no results here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

TheRoyce wrote: »
    Have you already completed a video interview for this stream?

Industrial Relations stream went straight to video interview with no other tests beforehand. We were given several questions in advance and told to record ourselves answering them within set time limits using an online platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CoffeTime

Could anyone tell me what exactly is "Asynchronous Online Video Interview"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 meepp

Anyone else get a fatal error message when they try to submit the detailed application form?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

CoffeTime wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what exactly is "Asynchronous Online Video Interview"?

Pre-recorded answers that are reviewed later by a panel.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Industrial Relations stream went straight to video interview with no other tests beforehand. We were given several questions in advance and told to record ourselves answering them within set time limits using an online platform.

I'm doing that same format interview for the Third Secretary competition, it's due tomorrow actually. Did you guys use sonru as well for the recording? When did the interview take place? Just trying to see how long it takes for results to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CoffeTime

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Pre-recorded answers that are reviewed later by a panel.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭AngryLips

meepp wrote: »
    Anyone else get a fatal error message when they try to submit the detailed application form?

Did you try doing it on a different browser? Do you have any extensions enabled on the browser that might be the cause?

Advertisement