Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - Truth Matters campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

People are moving away from traditional media for their news.

"When people stop believing in God, it's not that they believe in nothing, it's that they believe in everything." - G.K. Chesterton

I could apply this quote to traditional media as well. When people stop watching TV for their news, or reading the paper, it's not that they are now free to think for themselves, but they will now subscribe to any news source that plays to their biases and entertains them, and the more the source does this, the less the person is inclined to ask basic questions as to its veracity. Take this to its extreme conclusion and the implications are very worrying - everyone living in their own little separate realities with diametrically opposed views of the world. That does not promote a sense of fraternity among people living in close quarters, and therefore makes it hard to envision how you keep a stable society together.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read a very interesting Facebook article by an American gentleman with a very striking chinbeard. Something about how Newgrange was built by aliens. You'd never get this sort of journalism on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They must have wind that the govt wants to get rid of the license fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In a similar style perhaps, the thejournal.ie now has a big aul factcheck thing on the top of it's website.

That's fine, if you only want to factcheck everything, and not just the things that might perhaps suit a more liberal viewpoint.
    The comments (real world) section, can, do and very often tell a different story to the narratives pushed.
    Top story today (and yesterday, and day before perhaps) is 'the Infodemic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's almost like a playlist these days, legacy media outlets drowned in group think.

The world is going to end unless we act dramatically right now.
    White men are oppressors.
    Trump is a fascist.
    There is 92 genders.
    Men and women are equal but women are actually superior.

Movies are gone the same way

Thats how equality must feel when you're use to being top dog.
    Legacy media? The right got its wish, with the exception of any state media, the wealthy dictate the news. Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Bowie wrote: »
    Thats how equality must feel when you're use to being top dog.
    Legacy media? The right got its wish, with the exception of any state media, the wealthy dictate the news. Whats the problem?

Sorry, what kind of word salad is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

[/b]
    It's almost a competitive sport around here where people try to out do each other with their claims about how long they have gone without a single RTE service.

"Well I have never listened to a single minute of radio since I got (insert steaming/podcast service here)"

"Oh I get all my news from BBC, ITV, SKY..."

"Oh I only watch the Irish soccer games/GAA games on SKY"

I'm guessing people consume a lot more RTE than they are willing to admit.

I'd imagine that during the COVID-19 crisis a lot of people who claim otherwise got their news from RTE.
    And why wouldn't they, it's the main new broadcast outlet in the state.
    It's nothing to be ashamed about saying you watch or listen to RTE

TV is a dying platform, gone the way of the radio. Yeah sure there's people who still listen to both but it's a dwindling audience that get's smaller ever year.

Why should a dying platform with a smaller and smaller audience be subsidized by the public? Poor aul Ryan and co would be out on their arse if people had the choice. Many are choosing not to pay it at all for this reason and rightfully so.

If you enjoy it then pay a subscription for it and leave those who don't free to spend their money on platforms that they enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

RTE = TRUTH.
    The official propaganda mouthpiece of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was 'Pravda' which means truth!
    Its been tried before RTE!

And yet some would be outraged at some random edited clip of "GARDA BRUTALITY" and "GEMTRAILS" and believe it hook line and sinker.
    Cognative dissonace is stronk these days.... -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I would definitely believe RTE ahead if the "new" media but their coverage is obviously biased when it comes to a host of subjects.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Biased media reporting from RTE.

It's a shame that youtubers tend to be more credible than our own state broadcaster. At least on Youtube people don't pretend to be unbiased.
    Before you even watch you know what the agenda is going to be.
    With RTE they pretend they are unbiased, but fail the public every day.

They report conservative group numbers at protests down and inflate left numbers.
    The anti mask protests, the numbers of people at the protest according to RTE 500. Click on youtube video there are 1000s. I don't support the anti maskers, but I sure as hell do want accurate reports on how many supported, what they discussed and their demands.

Fake news also encompasses biased news. RTE are more like a regional branch of CNN. Shame we can't watch the truth unfold in the USA through our licence funded over inflated wage laden broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RTE is even worse than fox news or cnn for bias and having an agenda, back in the day they used to challenge convention (ala gay byrne talking about condoms etc...)

Nowadays its all apologism pretending that the travellers are angels , the migrants are all doctors and that leo can do no wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

RTE is even worse than fox news or cnn for bias and having an agenda, back in the day they used to challenge convention (ala gay byrne talking about condoms etc...)

Nowadays its all apologism pretending that the travellers are angels , the migrants are all doctors and that leo can do no wrong.

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gay Byrne was no saint, he was very much pro establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gay Byrne was no saint, he was very much pro establishment.

He was but atleast he challenged some issues, now RTE just does whatever the establishment want verbatim,

Every morning, RTE has about 4 or 5 American stories on their website.

None of them relevant to Ireland.

The promotion of Trump stories on their website and on all their programmes has led to an increase in his popularity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Every morning, RTE has about 4 or 5 American stories on their website.

None of them relevant to Ireland.

The promotion of Trump stories on their website and on all their programmes has led to an increase in his popularity in Ireland.

In fairness they're just giving their boomer audience what it wants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

G Byrne was far from some liberal woke before his time broadcaster

Have a look at the Annie Murphy clip for example - he is condescending and downright rude to her and almost suggests she was a slut who let bishop Eamon Casey into sin

He made a snide remark about if her son is half the man his father was (ie bishop Casey) he will be wonderful. Something to that effect

Also, he regularly had the likes of father cleary on pompously giving lectures to us all.

G Byrne was far from some liberal woke before his time broadcaster

Have a look at the Annie Murphy clip for example - he is condescending and downright rude to her and almost suggests she was a slut who let bishop Eamon Casey into sin

He made a snide remark about if her son is half the man his father was (ie bishop Casey) he will be wonderful. Something to that effect

Also, he regularly had the likes of father cleary on pompously giving lectures to us all.

It's been argued that The Late Late Show actually slowed progress down and the social and cultural changes happened elsewhere from the 60s to the 80s.

It's been argued that The Late Late Show actually slowed progress down and the social and cultural changes happened elsewhere from the 60s to the 80s.

Media and politicians have always been behind the curve...the gap has gotten wider in recent times as flawed group think has pushed the media companies in particular (and the politicians who succumb to it) down a perilous road.

The big cultural shift in this country began in the early 70s...RTE didn't catch up until the late 80s if even...all media was the same, we didn't get what you may describe a liberal media until the 90s in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Is it not reality though that any news channel is going to be subject to individual bias. Ideally it shouldn't but realistically can anyone name me a broadcaster who is open and fair about reporting the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nabber wrote: »
    It's a shame that youtubers tend to be more credible than our own state broadcaster.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

About time ads like this are shown on mainstream TV. However it would be better coming from an independent body or some sort of regulator.

We are at a point in history where there is some seriously dangerous unverified and false material posted online which people seem to be hoovering up.

Personally I would love to see Facebook for example obliterated and confined to the dustbins of history.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    About time ads like this are shown on mainstream TV. However it would be better coming from an independent body or some sort of regulator.

We are at a point in history where there is some seriously dangerous unverified and false material posted online which people seem to be hoovering up.

Personally I would love to see Facebook for example obliterated and confined to the dustbins of history.

I vividly remember people discussing unverified rumours of Church Sex Abuse scandals and unverified rumours of Political Corruption way back in the 80s long before the internet let alone Facebook....there will always be unverified rumours...they are not always wrong, a person has to develop the ability to discern what is believable and what is not, a person also needs to understand that just because a media organisation has existed for a long time it is trustworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps the biggest TV doc in recent years/decades about the Church Sex Abuse scandals on the Island, came from the (also not perfect) BBC NI (Spotlight Team).

Don't recall RTE doing anything on a similar scale, including follow ups on TV chat and radio shows and text in shows for week(s) following.
    Following which lead to an immediate raft of resignations and traditional print media pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,270 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another example of them burying the truth, this story broke today around 3pm, they report it at 22:28 at night so as not to cause complete rage.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0920/1166398-rave-covid-restrictions/
    There also appeared to be a large number of empty nitrous oxide canisters.
    001553a4-614.jpg?ratio=0.75

Yes it could have been 500,000 cyclists went past last night and some had to inflate their tyres as they got punctures and left the CO2 cannisters behind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

There was another protest this weekend with the "RTE is the Virus" banners.

Looks like there was 56 of them in this photo. 526980.jpg

At least they were socially distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Regarding the new RTE - Truth Matters advert, I notice that when RTE is playing the TV Licence advert that the actors are very diverse, however in the Truth Matters advert the absence of diverse actors is very notable. Bordering on painting a particular race as the only ones capable of holding "far-right" views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Danno wrote: »
    Regarding the new RTE - Truth Matters advert, I notice that when RTE is playing the TV Licence advert that the actors are very diverse, however in the Truth Matters advert the absence of diverse actors is very notable. Bordering on painting a particular race as the only ones capable of holding "far-right" views.
    I don't know if it's just early in the morning, but on RTE Radio one, their advertisements are usually the TV license warning us that inspectors will be knocking on our doors .......... knocking during a worldwide pandemic, threatening us with a €1,000 fine (if we do not continue to pay them huge salaries). The second ad is usually the Truth Matters ad (but not for RTE obviously), and then the 3rd ad is for a multitude of various charities looking for more money off us.
    What a great time to be alive listening to RTE.
    And then George Lee comes on .......

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

I'm no fan of RTE but I'd prefer them as a source to DisaffectedWingnut.com tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

If you just went off boards, you'd swear Donald Trump was the most popular man in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of RTE but I'd prefer them as a source to DisaffectedWingnut.com tbh

Ssssshhhhhh don't disturb the brigade having their wee circle ****.

Advertisement