Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the left parties' unique selling points?

  • 16-09-2020 2:38pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭


    I think the other left parties are struggling in comparison to SF because they struggle to differentiate themselves.

    What do they offer that Sinn Fein don't have? What is the unique selling point of PBP, Labour and the Soc Dems? People say FF/FG are two cheeks of the same arse but the other side of the spectrum has similar problems, in my view.


«1

Comments

  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell


    There would be varying approaches to taxation and how to pay for public spending. And the Greens would probably be stronger on the environmental front.

    But the main differentiator would be Sinn Fein's links to terrorism and organised crime. Some people aren't comfortable with that and wouldn't vote for them because of that. Some have less of an issue with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.


    There would be varying approaches to taxation and how to pay for public spending. And the Greens would probably be stronger on the environmental front.

    But the main differentiator would be Sinn Fein's links to terrorism and organised crime. Some people aren't comfortable with that and wouldn't vote for them because of that. Some have less of an issue with it[\b].
    As a left of center person, I'd sooner rather another decade of Fine Gael rule than vote to put Sinn Fein into government. In fact, voting for Soc Dems or PBP probably enables SF because they'd prop them up if the numbers were there after the next election. How depressing.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus


    Opposition, it's all they're good for.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody


    The first and most obvious part of not being SF is the NI issues that may come with it. Some people will never vote SF because of what happened during the 70s etc. Second part is on how they wish the tax/funding to look like, i.e. what are you going to tax, whom etc. is something to differ on easily. Third part would be to go for is to take some social issue such as abortion, divorce, fishing, oil etc. and put your stand in a camp clearly and loudly. It may not win you majority but you can get a core that will support your party.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Potatoeman


    SF and PBP are socialists, if you want investment flight vote for them but don’t be surprised when the foreign multinationals leave.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer


    They offer realistic, achievable goals rather than Sinn Fein's pie in the sky dreams that will be paid for by the apple money and raising the corporation tax and bankrupting the country.

    Also no history of domestic terrorism or defending pedos either is a nice plus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout


    What do they offer that Sinn Fein don't have? What is the unique selling point of PBP, Labour and the Soc Dems?

    Labour & The Soc Dems are very similar and would be traditional left of centre parites. Their only real difference is historical given that 2 of their three founding members were ex-Labour party members. Labour have traditionally had close ties to the trade unions, in particular SIPTU. I can see a future where these parties merge in a way that labour merged with the Progressive Democrats.

    The Green Party are similar to the above except with a heavier emphasis on environmental matters. All 3 of these are parties that could easily be seen in coalition governments.


    PBP are an entirely different animal. They are actually further to the left than SF. SF became an anti-water charges party mainly because they were concerned with AAA-PBP eating into their vote share on their left flank if they supported the charges. They are a loose grouping of TDs more so than a party which can be seen in the way that they are constantly chopping and changing their names and affiliations. Parties that fall into this mould that I can recall include:
    • PBP
    • AAA
    • Solidarity
    • The Socialist Party
    • Independents 4 Change
    • Rise

    It would be very difficult to imagine any scenario where any of these ever go into coalition as their ideological purity is one of their selling points. Coalitions involve compromise and they don't tend to want to do that. For that reason I see them as protest parties.


    Aontu: Are basically just SF except they're pro-life and are effectively a one-man band made up of ex-SF TD Peadar Tobin.


    SF themselves then are a kind of mixed bag. First and foremost they're a nationalist party but to their credit, they're not a nativist party. They're a left-wing party that don't support property taxes - seemingly for political expediency. They would have been seen as a protest vote 20 years ago but in recent times they've become more open to actually making the compromises necessary to go into government. Unlike other left-wing parties they are not member led and have a very centralised power structure. They also maintain strong message discipline although they have been dogged by accusations of bullying and have had many members quitting the party in recent years. They have a ton of historical baggage which comes up regularly at election time although as the memories of The Troubles fade this seems to have less and less affect on the electorate. On the left-right spectrum they would be seen as somewhere between LP/SD/GP and PBP/SOL/RISE/I4C


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore


    Greens are basically FG on push bikes. A party for those comfortable enough to stomach green taxes and levies.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    I can see a future where these parties merge in a way that labour merged with the Progressive Democrats.

    Democratic Left!

    The PDs weren't on the left and basically melted away, with many going to FG but also some to FF and (very few) to Labour depending on what their personal opinions were.

    Soc Dems are Labour for people who don't like Alan Kelly - there isn't any other difference there. When the SD co-leaders retire - they're both in their late 60s - there'll be a merger with the fiscally richer party retaining the name I'd expect.


    PBP, Solidarity and RISE are much the same except for ideological nitpicking.

    PBP are explicitly anti-EU and supported Brexit in NI. PBP and Solidarity are at opposition to each other when it comes to NI, Irish nationalism and related issues but not in a way that maps to other parties

    RISE are just Solidarity but willing to work with SF in Government.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below


    Godot. wrote: »
    As a left of center person, I'd sooner rather another decade of Fine Gael rule than vote to put Sinn Fein into government. In fact, voting for Soc Dems or PBP probably enables SF because they'd prop them up if the numbers were there after the next election. How depressing.

    No centre left person would do such a thing.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View


    No centre left person would do such a thing.

    Of course they would and have done so several times in the past. Nor is that anything “abnormal”, since it has been done in several other European countries, including currently in Germany.

    It would be a very strange centre left person who would rush to put SF into power given their track record of support the frequent human rights abuses committed by the IRA in NI.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight


    Check who has moved into and out of the parties before you start pinning labels.

    Now factor in the difficulties many people have dealing with people who left their party.

    It'd be a mad diagram with lots of arrows, some only going one way and lots of "one man shows".

    Lots of "we are different because we aren't them" But check who has moved into and out of the parties.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout


    L1011 wrote: »
    Democratic Left!

    Thank you yes - brain fart by me. And of all the parties to confuse them with I pick the one on the other side of the spectrum.

    Yeah the PDs paid the price for propping up one government too many. I will forever be grateful to them though for sorting out the taxis. Queuing for 90 minutes for a taxi on a Saturday night was no joke back in 2000.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General


    No centre left person would do such a thing.

    Fine Gael are left wing. What makes them right wing in your eyes?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer


    Fine Gael are left wing. What makes them right wing in your eyes?

    They're right wing.

    If you go by the current definition that the republicans are trotting out that the very much right wing democrats are now left wing extremists then they are left wing but that out is a total fallacy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below


    Not in this, nor any alternate universe, are Fine Gael left wing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger


    Fine Gael are left wing. What makes them right wing in your eyes?


    By what ridiculous definition do you consider FG to be left wing?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below


    Fine Gael are left wing. What makes them right wing in your eyes?


    They're members the European People's Party group.

    Funny lot for lefties to be affiliated with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    Fine Gael are left wing. What makes them right wing in your eyes?


    When their leader believes that private enterprises productivity 'issues' is largely due to their unwillingness to take on debt, and that growing deficits created situations such as Hitler, you can be damn sure they ain't left leaning!

    The political left are a disaster zone!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    When their leader believes that private enterprises productivity 'issues' is largely due to their unwillingness to take on debt, and that growing deficits created situations such as Hitler, you can be damn sure they ain't left leaning!

    The political left are a disaster zone!


    Im gonna guess its something to do with said poster being way too immersed in US politics and not actually understanding where the rest of the worlds and lets be honest the real left/right divide actually lies


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor


    Fine Gael are definitely socially left compared to even 20 years ago.

    Economically they are centre right, I'd rather they were more right with their economic policies, not because I agree with it but because their current economic policies don't benefit the "lower middle class" or those who are trying to work full time and afford to buy/rent a house without any government support.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    Kilboor wrote: »
    Fine Gael are definitely socially left compared to even 20 years ago.

    Economically they are centre right, I'd rather they were more right with their economic policies, not because I agree with it but because their current economic policies don't benefit the "lower middle class" or those who are trying to work full time and afford to buy/rent a house without any government support.

    has our more recent, more conservative economic leanings, truly worked for most, baring in mind, the political left are equally to blame for these outcomes?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Potatoeman




  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General


    VinLieger wrote: »
    By what ridiculous definition do you consider FG to be left wing?

    Fine Gael have been in government For the past 9 years and advocated for, and are

    Pro abortion
    Pro LGBT
    Strong supporters of the EU and are critical of the UK’s Brexit process
    Have kept keeping Ireland’s income tax levels high so that middle income earners subsidise those outside that bracket - redistribution of wealth
    Consumption/sales tax at 23% - only recently reduced to 21%. Excise, carbon taxes Etc usually increase with each budget
    Of €77 billion spent in 2019, €20.9 billion was spent on social protection and €17.5 on the public health system https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/socialprotection/2019/
    That's almost 50% of government spending on a health system that is not fit for purpose and a generous social welfare system. No real effort to tackle lifer welfare cases. An additional €4 billion was spent on public housing.
    Less than €2 billion allocated to the Gardaí in 2019
    Slave wages paid to military personnel
    Direct Provision system that accommodates economic migrants yet leaves many genuine asylum seekers in limbo - no effort to return those Asylum seekers Who arrived here from "safe" countries to the first safe country that they arrived in
    Crime levels that are just ignored. A penal system that's a joke. The punishment is not commensurate with the crime in so many cases.

    I don't see any right wing parties except for the lunatics on the fringes who will not be taken seriously by an electorate. I just don't see how Fine Gael can be classed as right wing - they're just as populist as the rest and have continued the trend of taxing labour to fund social programs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger


    Fine Gael have been in government For the past 9 years and advocated for, and are

    Pro abortion
    Pro LGBT
    Strong supporters of the EU and are critical of the UK’s Brexit process
    Have kept keeping Ireland’s income tax levels high so that middle income earners subsidise those outside that bracket - redistribution of wealth
    Consumption/sales tax at 23% - only recently reduced to 21%. Excise, carbon taxes Etc usually increase with each budget
    Of €77 billion spent in 2019, €20.9 billion was spent on social protection and €17.5 on the public health system https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/socialprotection/2019/
    That's almost 50% of government spending on a health system that is not fit for purpose and a generous social welfare system. No real effort to tackle lifer welfare cases. An additional €4 billion was spent on public housing.
    Less than €2 billion allocated to the Gardaí in 2019
    Slave wages paid to military personnel
    Direct Provision system that accommodates economic migrants yet leaves many genuine asylum seekers in limbo - no effort to return those Asylum seekers Who arrived here from "safe" countries to the first safe country that they arrived in
    Crime levels that are just ignored. A penal system that's a joke. The punishment is not commensurate with the crime in so many cases.

    I don't see any right wing parties except for the lunatics on the fringes who will not be taken seriously by an electorate. I just don't see how Fine Gael can be classed as right wing - they're just as populist as the rest and have continued the trend of taxing labour to fund social programs.


    You are confusing Right wing with Authoritarian vs Libertarian. Socially they are centre or slightly left of centre which they are dragged to by the majority centre left electorate so in this case yes they are populists as you say. However this could also be more correctly described as being more liberal than authoritarian/conservative. Economically they are very much right wing or more specifically neo liberalists


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    VinLieger wrote: »
    You are confusing Right wing with Authoritarian vs Libertarian. Socially they are centre or slightly left of centre which they are dragged to by the majority centre left electorate so in this case yes they are populists as you say. However this could also be more correctly described as being more liberal than authoritarian/conservative. Economically they are very much right wing or more specifically neo liberalists

    ..and to be more precise, economically, firmly in the neoclassical camp!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate


    Opposition, it's all they're good for.

    No, it’s all they are fit for. Big difference.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown


    The left generally would put the public intetest over private profit.
    There's a balance to be made of course but FF/FG are unwilling or unable to create it.
    Thats why we have the many crises and occasional complete financial melt down.


  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell


    Greens are basically FG on push bikes. A party for those comfortable enough to stomach green taxes and levies.

    Kind of polar opposites in many respects. FG sell themselves as a tax cutting party, whereas the Greens are unafraid to propose increasing taxes. A lot of FG core support, such as big business and agriculture wouldn't be that keen on the Greens.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    Bowie wrote: »
    The left generally would put the public intetest over private profit.
    There's a balance to be made of course but FF/FG are unwilling or unable to create it.
    Thats why we have the many crises and occasional complete financial melt down.

    traditionally yes, but in recent times, kinna no. the political left abandoned its base, particularly during the neoliberial/neoclassical era, this is very evident in the uk and us, but is somewhat also evident here

    Kind of polar opposites in many respects. FG sell themselves as a tax cutting party, whereas the Greens are unafraid to propose increasing taxes. A lot of FG core support, such as big business and agriculture wouldn't be that keen on the Greens.

    funnily enough, you ll find when a conservative finance minister goes to balance his/her books, they ll generally default to the only place theyre willing to, you, the tax payer!


Advertisement