Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Eastern Europe etc

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Yeah, I've found that myself too. There's a nastiness to some Irish women; most of my negative experiences have been with Irish girls.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Most of the big city's are way nicer then what we have here. They have good weather. They have prettier women.

What they dont have is our tax regime for multinationals. So the downside is they travel here. The upside is if they work for 5-10 years they will be able to build a brand new house back home with no mortgage worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Reading some posters here , Eastern Europe is improving from the point of view of wages etc so Ireland’s minimum wage isn’t as attractive as a number of years ago when you consider ireland high cost of living rent etc.
    Will there come a day when there will be not many Eastern European’s coming here to work and it will be largely Irish working all the minimum wage jobs ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Reading some posters here , Eastern Europe is improving from the point of view of wages etc so Ireland’s minimum wage isn’t as attractive as a number of years ago when you consider ireland high cost of living rent etc.
    Will there come a day when there will be not many Eastern European’s coming here to work and it will be largely Irish working all the minimum wage jobs ??

Well that's pretty much what the EU hopes to achieve. The great convergence.

It already is mostly Irish people working the minimum wage jobs, or low income groups. We have a native population which are low skilled who meet most demands for low wage positions.

It's only in the area of farming that there tends to be a lack of seasonal workers, since people are generally focused on the population centers, and not where the farming happens.

We will continue to receive reasonably large numbers from Eastern Europe because Ireland is a good place for services/technological type employment, which is what developing EU nations tend to focus their education on... just as Ireland did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Eastern Europe" is a massive place so I doubt every country east of Germany will fare the same so we will probably see a drop off from some countries. Add to it that there might be somewhere better that Ireland will pop up for people from these countries will take more away but the ratio of foreigners in low paid jobs or any job probably won't change too much

breezy1985 wrote: »
    "Eastern Europe" is a massive place so I doubt every country east of Germany will fare the same so we will probably see a drop off from some countries. Add to it that there might be somewhere better that Ireland will pop up for people from these countries will take more away but the ratio of foreigners in low paid jobs or any job probably won't change too much

Depends on how much automation is brought into effect. Many low paid jobs can be replaced easily enough, and that's likely to happen considering the rising costs of engaging a workforce (demands for increased min wages, insurance, etc). We don't really have the economy to cover a large low wage workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

True.

They are more old fashioned though. Gender roles are very defined.

I was even told there were topics as a woman i should not talk about. Like politics. Fair enough ..when in Rome.

Generally very educated. And beautiful as you say. And 'nice'. :) Good hearts.

The men always pay. But its more than that. Gender roles are very set. Behavior is set accordingly. For instance there countries labor laws there are certain jobs women shouldn't do. Partic jobs considered physical or dangerous.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2009-06-12/jobs-women-cant-do-russia

Women can't drive a train for example. This seems to me at least ...that it went down as far as meaning women should not talk about those things either.

Although a lot of Eastern European women here are westernized and may have adapted.

I was being treated by a russian doctor once ..i told him i was a bit down ..he said i should try and have a baby. That was the cure.

He was quite young and working here.

A lot of this is nonsense generalisation. What people here define as Eastern Europe is not some monolithic block that can be generalised. Nobody says those Western Europeans Dutch, Belgians and Irish are all the same.

I can't speak for Russian women but what I do know that no woman of my generation (42) where I come from would willingly become stay at home mother, lack of abortion would be considered barbaric and we would certainly expect to pay our way. We would expect to have and earn our own money and that includes those in single parent families.

I'm actually getting sick of western delusion about the women's rights. The truth is a lot of debate here or in US about reproductive rights and other rights was resolved in many 'backward' countries 50 years or more ago. Why would you protest about abortion if you can get it free no questions asked. Childcare is cheaper and available to all. Both of my parents were in paid employment, both of my grandparents on mum's side (on dad's side they were farmers) were in paid employment.

There are issues like alcoholism and both parents are expected to contribute to family finances significantly. We even don't have an expression for stay at home mum. The closest would be woman who is not in employment. I guess that brings it's own limitations. As for not having political opinion, thar's ridiculous.

Neither are all Eastern European women good-looking or better looking than any other nationality. Some are some aren't.

As for the whole Eastern European economy, it differs a lot. Countries like Czechia and Hungary did relatively well at least in cities, Slovenia had an advantage from beginning and wasted a lot of it but quality of life is not bad. Other ex Yuga countries still feel effects of war and ethnic division. A lot of of other countries had much harsher communism that destroyed any innovation in what were historically very poor and rural areas. Social roles are lot more gendered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

meeeeh wrote: »
    A lot of this is nonsense generalisation. What people here define as Eastern Europe is not some monolithic block that can be generalised. Nobody says those Western Europeans Dutch, Belgians and Irish are all the same.

I can't speak for Russian women but what I do know that no woman of my generation (42) would willingly become stay at home mother, lack of abortion would be considered barbaric and we would certainly expect to pay our way. We would expect to have and earn our own money and that includes those in single parent families.

I'm actually getting sick of western delusion about the women's rights. The truth is a lot of debate here or in US about reproductive rights and other rights was resolved in many 'backward' countries 50 years or more ago. Why would you protest about abortion if you can get it free no questions asked. Childcare is cheaper and available to all. Both of my parents were in paid employment, both of my grandparents on mum's side (on dad's side they were farmers) were in paid employment.

There are issues like alcoholism and both parents are expected to contribute to family finances significantly. We even don't have an expression for stay at home mum. The closest would be woman who is not in employment. I guess that brings it's own limitations. As for not having political opinion, thar's ridiculous.

Neither are all Eastern European women good-looking or better looking than any other nationality. Some are some aren't.

As for the whole Eastern European economy, it differs a lot. Countries like Czechia and Hungary did relatively well at least in cities, Slovenia had an advantage from beginning and wasted a lot of it but quality of life is not bad. Other ex Yuga countries still feel effects of war and ethnic division. A lot of of other countries had much harsher communism that destroyed any innovation in what were historically very poor and rural areas. Social roles are lot more gendered there.

It's wrong to define an entire country as they are all this or that and the "Eastern Europe" thing tries to generalise every country from east of Austria all the way over to Azerbaijan as one people which is silly.

We also have serious notions about how enlightened we are in Ireland and forget our very recent past. Moving statues, slave labour laundries and dumpster babies all existed in my lifetime and I'm only in my 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I've encountered Russians, in particular, who lump everybody from the Ukrainian border with Poland to the Shannon estuary as "the West" and make no differentiation between us, even though we are wildly different. Real closed in, us against them mentality. What is real is that every nationality defaults to convenient stereotypes in lieu of actually thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm actually getting sick of western delusion about the women's rights. The truth is a lot of debate here or in US about reproductive rights and other rights was resolved in many 'backward' countries 50 years or more ago.
    +1000 A lot of this comes from a Yank centred view of the world and we in Ireland buy into their monumental bullsh1t too bloody much. It's easily forgotten that as far as many rights and certainly women's rights many nations in the East of Europe had them before the Americans did. Hell maternity leave in the US wasn't made law until the 90's for god's sake, it's still shorter than other civilised nations and paid maternity leave still isn't mandated. It's left up to the employers. And which nation has the most women CEO's? Liberal Sweden? Capitalist America? No. Russia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I can't speak for Russian women but what I do know that no woman of my generation (42) where I come from would willingly become stay at home mother, lack of abortion would be considered barbaric and we would certainly expect to pay our way. We would expect to have and earn our own money and that includes those in single parent families.

You are probably right and its good to think of this ..

I dunno why I am saying this ...but a couple of years ago not that long ago ...a Doctor (russian) in Dublin whom i wanted to get referred to a coucillor from for anxiety told me it would be good for me to have a 'baby' and that was the best cure for emotional issues rather than counselling ..and then told me I looked like his wife and dont worry ' i have a young wife it was also the WAY he said it it was super ****ing awkward and just 'odd' the way he was looking at me he said it in front of a nurse her jaw dropped.

Not sure if this is ..'racist' of me to think him being russian had something to do with it. Or its a general thing.

But he said this as if it were totally normal...

He wasn't old or anything.

Maybe this would be something easily said by an Irish doctor.

Its possible i am just being predjudiced though...and he was just one weird guy..and an unprofessional doctor.

He had just examined me physically so for him to say right at that moment ..you look like my wife .....shivers!

But i guess he could have easily been an Irish doctor.

Its just my own internal prejudices etc.

I did think домохозяйка was the word for housewife but i don't speak russian.

Your experiences become increasingly... bizarre, as time goes by.

Your experiences become increasingly... bizarre, as time goes by.
    Im glad you think that was weird too. Because it was.

I do think its racist of me that i used to think it was to do with him being russian though.

It also excused it ..like oh its his culture

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000 A lot of this comes from a Yank centred view of the world and we in Ireland buy into their monumental bullsh1t too bloody much. It's easily forgotten that as far as many rights and certainly women's rights many nations in the East of Europe had them before the Americans did. Hell maternity leave in the US wasn't made law until the 90's for god's sake, it's still shorter than other civilised nations and paid maternity leave still isn't mandated. It's left up to the employers. And which nation has the most women CEO's? Liberal Sweden? Capitalist America? No. Russia.
    You should stop idolizing russia.

Eastern Europe is basically the documentary "Hostel".

Eastern Europe is basically the documentary "Hostel".
    Mm no.

Actually the west is...for some eastern europeans.

A lot of people get trafficked into the west into bad situations from eastern europe through no fault of their own. They get scammed ..partic young women.

western European women are not going to get trafficked into eastern europe.

TBH ..Irish people cannot be so high and mighty.

Im glad you think that was weird too. Because it was.

Oh, it's weird.. most of the stories/experiences that you use as examples are.
    I do think its racist of me that i used to think it was to do with him being russian though.

It also excused it ..like oh its his culture

You're stereotyping, so yes, you're apparently being racist. I prefer to consider people as individuals rather than painting a whole nationality a certain way. Experience has taught me that stereotypes are usually ignorant, and way out of date..

Oh, it's weird.. most of the stories/experiences that you use as examples are.

You're stereotyping, so yes, you're apparently being racist. I prefer to consider people as individuals rather than painting a whole nationality a certain way. Experience has taught me that stereotypes are usually ignorant, and way out of date..

I can accept and acknowledge I was being so. Apologies.

This is a Russian YouTuber that i love.

He often states reasons he loves russia and things he doesn't like.

Actually its not a soviet hospital ..its just a russian hospital ..the title is for clickbait

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You should stop idolizing russia.
    Here's yet another of your insane leaps of nonsense, but at least you are consistent. And now you've pulled that from the ether as a notion you'll run with it because that's all you have. QV a dump of Tube vids with eff all to do with the subject matter.

But yeah, where in god's name am I idolising* Russia? :confused: Russia is a corrupt dictatorship. I was merely agreeing with a previous poster and their irritation at the broad strokes generalisations towards European countries and cultures to the east.

*with an S not a Z, as I don't idolise America either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement