Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Eastern Europe etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Do you know how many slavs were killed in the holocaust? Or starved after?

Millions.

3 Million poles. That is just polish slavs.

Thanks, I do know. :)

My two grandfathers belonged to the two opposing sides in the WW2. One of them was summarily executed during the war, the other one used to decide on the fates of enemy elements such as that.

This was all 75 years ago, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

seenitall wrote: »
    Well, no. Not as good as or any way close to it, really. The communism was of course, a big pile of ****e, as communism usually is, but in Yugoslavia, it was a homegrown variety, as it were. The Soviets had no input, as Tito aligned Yugoslavia with the Non-aligned :D and that was the extent of its political aliances or foreign influences heeded. No Warsaw Pact, no Soviet oversight. The communism in Yugoslavia was of a ‘softer’ kind, as it were. With no Market economy, the consumer goods selection was still non-existant and it was a very drab life by any western standards; however, you could get your passport, hop into your sorry little sardine tin of a car, and pop over to Trieste or Graz for a bit of consumer decadence (i.e. shopping) if you were thus inclined. Also, if you, being a democrat at heart, hated the ideological oppression at home, or simply wanted to make a good bit of money relatively quickly in order to build a house, you went and joined all the Turks on the building sites of Germany.

A Hungarian or a Pole could legally do none of the above things (not without a large amount of difficulty, at least - having a passport was not for everyone). I think it makes a big difference to the mentality of peoples, through the generations. ...

The very fact Tito kept out of Warsaw Pact and denied Stalin making Yugoslavia a Soviet satellite state was why I specifically mentioned them separately.
    Yes they didn't have Soviet tanks on their territory, didn't have KGB or Moscow controlled homegrown secret police watching their every move, but it was still a one party state under a dictator.

The very fact the federation fell apart after his death speaks volume about how controlled it was.

Funny you mentioned Trieste, old Tito tried to nap it after WWII, that and form an alliance with Bulgaria in backing communists in Greece, all outside of Stalin's control.
    seenitall wrote: »
    Thanks, I do know. :)

My two grandfathers belonged to the two opposing sides in the WW2. One of them was summarily executed during the war, the other one used to decide on the fates of enemy elements such as that.

This was all 75 years ago, though...

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

Story of many families across the Baltic States and Poland where 2 brothers would be on the opposing sides, including my own. The history is very complicated and everyone was just trying to survive, even if it meant betraying your own family, neighbours, friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes they didn't have Soviet tanks on their territory, didn't have KGB or Moscow controlled homegrown secret police watching their every move, but it was still a one party state under a dictator.

I didn’t say it wasn’t, did I? I just feel that the ‘as good as’ expression you used falls short of the reality. An average, non-indoctrinated person living in the DDR or Czechoslovakia of the time would have bitten off your hand if you had offered them a regime swap with Yugoslavia. Consider it an issue of semantics if you will.

If you want to know more about my family history, contact me through PM. I’m not going to go into any details on an AH thread. I only mentioned it because I felt mildly amused by the question Do you have a clue how many people died..?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Extremists tend to come from working class backgrounds.

Not always but usually those who are coming for upperclass backgrounds are simply in it for personal gain.

I'll spell it out for you. A lot of extremists recruit from places like prisons ..partic in eastern europe.

Prisons are mostly populated by the working class.

Also extremists recruit from gangs ..these also tend to be from working class areas.

Lack of socio-economic opportunities are also a factor.

AND BY THE WAY I DIDNT ACTUALLY SAY WORKING CLASS PEOPLE WERE NOT NORMAL. I SAID NORMAL PEOPLE HAVE FRIENDS ACROSS THE COMMUNITY.

IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR PEOPLE TO BE SECTARIAN. ITS PSYCHOTIC. ITS WEIRD ITS SAD. BUT NOT NORMAL.

Drug addiction is also a factor.

Lack of education. Lack of respect from society in general.

They feel like victims.

They grow up in weird circumstances. that shouldn't be normal.

Unemployment provides a fertile ground etc.

Just one example here but the fascists in the Spanish civil war were middle and upper class. Many o Hitler's top men were royalists.

And as for respect for society how many of the middle and upper class who destroyed this countrys economy for personal gain or still charge extortionate insurance rates for personal gain have any respect for the society they are destroying.

It's easy blame the working class coke dealer and not the middle class buyer isn't it

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Eastern Europe is still a handy term for a group of nations that mostly all became independent or changed from communism around 1990 and still share similar issues and situations surrounding that.

But culturally as a term it is completely useless as countries like Poland and Hungary are way closer to Germany than Russia and from my limited experience I even found Estonia and Lithuania to have more of a German feel to them

Possible so, I'm not too fussed about the terms. Getting annoyed by somethibg like that is a little silly though.

Never had a Pole correct me and know a few. As I said, they are connected to Russia and were on that side of the curtain.

Can't speak for Lithuania, never there and never met anyone. Only person that every said anything was a 22 year old Slovakian who said she was central European. When I explained where the east / West separation came from it was actually new information to her as her parents and grandparents don't particularly discuss that period of time (father was in the conscription army, mothers father lost a business due to being anti-communist) and obviously sure wasn't around for it.

Fascinating people to speak with if military history is of interest though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Krakow. Couldn't get any info from staff at museums, couldn't get served at restaurants and the only person I encountered who was remotely civil was the woman shilling for a stripclub.

Were you wearing a Russian soccer jersey? I want to know the details.

I've been all over Poland with 3 visits to Krakow and never experienced anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

TM2015 wrote: »
    Story of many families across the Baltic States and Poland where 2 brothers would be on the opposing sides, including my own. The history is very complicated and everyone was just trying to survive, even if it meant betraying your own family, neighbours, friends.

Actually remember being in museum in Taillinn and noticed they covered history of Russian Empire up to around 1918, then the independent years between the wars, then really hammered home about the Soviet invasion in 39 and until the Germans arrived in 41.
    There was kinda the vibe that some would have seen the Germans as liberators.
    There was very little mentioned about that period until Soviets retook the place in 44 and how awful the Soviet years were.
    The Baltic states had large enough Jewish population and it was all but wiped out.
    And it wasn't always just the Germans doing the killing.
    That period was kinda glossed over, maybe for obvious reason like how French kinda gloss over the Vichy years.

Also a lot of people don't realise some resisted the Soviets for years hiding out in the forests.
    And boy is there lots of forest in that neck of the woods. ;)

I've been all over Poland with 3 visits to Krakow and never experienced anything like that.

Maybe they just knew they are a mod here. :D

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually remember being in museum in Taillinn and noticed they covered history of Russian Empire up to around 1918, then the independent years between the wars, then really hammered home about the Soviet invasion in 39 and until the Germans arrived in 41.
    There was kinda the vibe that some would have seen the Germans as liberators.
    There was very little mentioned about that period until Soviets retook the place in 44 and how awful the Soviet years were.
    The Baltic states had large enough Jewish population and it was all but wiped out.
    And it wasn't always just the Germans doing the killing.
    That period was kinda glossed over, maybe for obvious reason like how French kinda gloss over the Vichy years.

Also a lot of people don't realise some resisted the Soviets for years hiding out in the forests.
    And boy is there lots of forest in that neck of the woods. ;)

Maybe they just knew they are a mod here. :D

I was in an antique shop in Tallinn that was full of Nazi stuff so I said to my friend "I think this guy is a Nazi" to which she replied "no its just war stuff" which i followed with "thats fair but what about the wall full of Golliwog toys" at which point he the store owned said it was closing time despite it being 2 hours before the time on the window and I know my watch wasnt wrong because it was on the same time as all the golliwog clocks.

On the bright side next door was an amazing little craft beer pub built out of what looked like the guys sitting room and hed let you smoke fags inside as long as you blew it up the chimney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There aren't really any details. I was on my own and I don't think I can add anything more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Lived in the Balkans a few years ago.
    Did a lot of travelling & have friends that I worked with from all over Europe.
    I was in, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Czech republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.
    A lot of eastern Europe, I guess!!

Really want to visit Romania, it's first on my list when I can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

There aren't really any details. I was on my own and I don't think I can add anything more.

That is strange, I have been to Krakow and we ate at local places and drank in local bars in the suburbs, everyone was perfectly friendly.

There was one bar where an incredibly rough looking guy told us we had to leave actually but he ended up drinking with us when he found out we were from Ireland.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lived in the Balkans a few years ago.
    Did a lot of travelling & have friends that I worked with from all over Europe.
    I was in, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Czech republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.
    A lot of eastern Europe, I guess!!

Really want to visit Romania, it's first on my list when I can go.

What about Moldova?

What about Moldova?

Nope, never there ! ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What about Moldova?

Moldova's worth a day. Nice spot but not much to do. Chisinau brew is nice and cheap though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Homelander wrote: »
    That is strange, I have been to Krakow and we ate at local places and drank in local bars in the suburbs, everyone was perfectly friendly.

There was one bar where an incredibly rough looking guy told us we had to leave actually but he ended up drinking with us when he found out we were from Ireland.

I can't relate to this at all. If I ever make progress on ticking off the EU capitals, I'm leaving off Warsaw.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I can't relate to this at all. If I ever make progress on ticking off the EU capitals, I'm leaving off Warsaw.

I thought Warsaw was ok for a 2/3 day visit. I had loads of annual leave I had to use up last year so went to Warsaw by myself for a few days. The place was flattened during WW2 so there isn't much of an old town. There's a bit of a rebuilt one. Some of the newer buildings wouldn't be out of place in Manhattan. It was a bit odd seeing the newer buildings side by side with 1950s examples of communist architecture. It was really cheap too for eating out, public transport, accommodation etc. I stayed in the Westin when I was there. Out of interest I priced the Travelodge down the road from my house for the same nights and the Westin in Warsaw was only €20 more expensive. Now this was February so a quiet time for visitors but is was nearly as cheap to stay in a fancy hotel in Warsaw as a no frills hotel chain in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Oh I know all about the basketball, and their love for it.. Lithuania hosted Eurobasket when I was there, and it was HUGE!! as in everywhere.., and again, luckily for the Spanish lads I was working with, Spain won it ,and they got to party with the Spanish team after the final..

Don't usually see a whole lot of stag weekenders there, though I did see a few the odd time, but they were always reasonably well behaved. The Police in Lithuania take no sh1t, and are not to be trifled with...

We always try to get to Palanga at least every 2 years for summer holidays, it's a great seaside resort type town, full of touristy stuff.. The beach has a bar/restaurant every 200 meters or so, actually on the beach. The last time we were there we stayed in a famous basketballs hotel (he's ex NBA and is son is currently in the NBA, and apparently he was there the same time as us).

Maybe they can send the Gardai to Lithuania for proper training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

we do seem grim and serious, but that's just the way we look, we're fun really :)

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    we do seem grim and serious, but that's just the way we look, we're fun really :)

Love this!

Made a mess of the quoting though! Sorry 😕

Maybe they can send the Gardai to Lithuania for proper training.

You think the gardai are incapable of taking no ****e from messy drunks or that messy drunks is what Ireland considers normal?

I assure you, Gardai could become no craic / no compassion robots but in reality, no one wants that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Never judge the country after visiting one, possible capital or tourist orientated city (Warsaw , Krakow). Go to some smaller town where people are poorer and less familiar with foreigners - you will experience real feel of local life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

zom wrote: »
    Never judge the country after visiting one, possible capital or tourist orientated city (Warsaw , Krakow). Go to some smaller town where people are poorer and less familiar with foreigners - you will experience real feel of local life.
    This is true and not true.

I have done this ....yes life is different. But moscow or warsaw are no less part of russia or poland than anywhere else.

Its like Ireland ..Dublin is as much a part of it as laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Not anymore
    Ireland is not dream country anymore and many them coming back home
    Brazilians replacing eastern europeans
    For example average salary in Lithuania at factory for unqvalified is 750 home per month and growing
    Minimum wage in Ireland is 350 per week or 1400 per month
    Rent are 1200 in small towns in Ireland
    Couple earnings per month is 2800 minus rent is 1600 or 800 for each
    Rent in Lithuania is about 200 in small towns
    Mostly who came to Ireland has own/family members property in Lithuania
    Not worth come to Ireland for couple hundreds difference
    At the moment only bulgarians,moldavians ,albanians coming to Ireland
    Lithuanians,polish,others go home
    Due with Covid and jobs shortage/high rents in Ireland even more will leave country same as in 2009/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

For example average salary in Lithuania at factory for unqvalified is 750 home per month and growing
    Its about 500 per month. The average salary in big cities is about 900 per month which is less than the min wage of 1400 per month in Ireland.

Meaning the average wage there is 500 less per month than the min wage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's a bit like us and Norway/Switzerland. The wages in those countries are great, big money. But you're only getting coins back from your €10 after you buy a coffee.

I was in Ukraine recently and was getting an espresso for something like 30c. You'll be getting it for €3 here. I went to a Dynamo Kiev game and got a ticket for about €1.50,its about €15 for LOI game here. But likewise wages are only about a 10th of what they are here. T

The only difference really is that your branded goods, clothes, phones, McDonald's will still cost pretty much the same around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do people put Ireland down at every opportunity?

Do you really think that Eastern European countries are utopias

Why mention one failed project Ballymun, that is now regenerated but not mention all the awful communist era tower blocks that you see all over?

A few incidents here of kids with fireworks and now the whole country is sh1t?

I actually think that Ireland is one of the best countries to live in with great scenery, attractions and normally a thriving social scene. I've lived abroad and I'm very happy to back here.

It's positives far outweigh the negatives. Plenty of foreigners like living here too

Ireland was an amazing country but has lost some of its charm. Its turning into a small American state really.

Social media is basically ruining the new generation and switch on 2fm in the mornings.

The boom that has passed has ruined countrysides and villages with big one off houses and ugly estates.

There is still some beauty but you need to travel to rural areas to get it. Cost is living is atrocious, we are taxed to the hilt, capital gains is the second highest in the world.

Positives are we have more skilled employees, gender equality is improving and road infrastructure is decent now. Motorway network.

There is pros and cons really

Advertisement