Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard from:

Lavelle Partners
    Mullany Walsh Maxwell LLP

I just had a look back at my emails and I applied for both on the 24th of February so it's been over a month and not one person has heard word at all here which I find so odd.

Nothing from either so odd I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

For competency based questions, what would people talk about when asked about a time they were analytical? I always struggle with examples for this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 curiouscat55

hey guys, wondering if anyone can give me some info. I am a second year and doing a summer internship this summer in the law firm I want to work in after college. They are only doing one intern intake this summer as far as I am aware. What is the likelihood that I would be offered a TC? Like would they offer it to most people who have an aptitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

hey guys, wondering if anyone can give me some info. I am a second year and doing a summer internship this summer in the law firm I want to work in after college. They are only doing one intern intake this summer as far as I am aware. What is the likelihood that I would be offered a TC? Like would they offer it to most people who have an aptitude?

Depends on the firm. Some places like MHC and Cox give most if not all their interns a TC offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 curiouscat55

Depends on the firm. Some places like MHC and Cox give most if not all their interns a TC offer.

Do cox give you the chance to interview or just an outright offer?

• Advertisement

Do cox give you the chance to interview or just an outright offer?

There's usually an interview at the end. From my understanding, last year they cancelled the internships and straight gave people TC offers. But there's usually an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LegalEagle21

Has anyone here contacted DAC Beachcroft and received a response about the traineeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wonderboy2010

Hi guys, although I didn't dive into summer internships or training contract applications, I had my own mini "Milkrounds" for a university student placement year. To my surprise, I got 3 interviews from 3 of the Top 5 firms and walked away with 2 offers- A&L Goodbody and Matheson. It was a tough decision, but I ultimately went with Matheson because of its culture and keen interest in Diversity and Inclusion. However, I know the game is not over it. I still have to try and impress the firm in order to gain a training contract or summer internship with them in the future. I was wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to impress firms while on a summer internship or placement? How did you get over the fear of "imposter syndrome" or messing things up? I'm well aware that the chances of obtaining a training contract or summer internship from this placement are quite slim, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes! Worst thing that can happen is just me walking away with nearly a years worth of experience in the biggest commercial law firm in Ireland. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shylawgirl

First of all, well done on getting the offer. If I were you I’d try very hard to impress during the placement by being proactive. Although it’s good to have a year of work experience, getting a university placement is far easier than a summer internship. Eg 1000 applications for summer internship vs 100 for a university placement, so it may be the case that you may not get an offer when you apply the traditional way. To my knowledge, many placement students get training contract offers. Just be proactive and ask questions

Hi guys, although I didn't dive into summer internships or training contract applications, I had my own mini "Milkrounds" for a university student placement year. To my surprise, I got 3 interviews from 3 of the Top 5 firms and walked away with 2 offers- A&L Goodbody and Matheson. It was a tough decision, but I ultimately went with Matheson because of its culture and keen interest in Diversity and Inclusion. However, I know the game is not over it. I still have to try and impress the firm in order to gain a training contract or summer internship with them in the future. I was wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to impress firms while on a summer internship or placement? How did you get over the fear of "imposter syndrome" or messing things up? I'm well aware that the chances of obtaining a training contract or summer internship from this placement are quite slim, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes! Worst thing that can happen is just me walking away with nearly a years worth of experience in the biggest commercial law firm in Ireland. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

1. Get involved
    2. Be enthusiastic
    3. Take ownership of mistakes
    4. Ask questions and show an interest

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SJ108

First and foremost, congratulations on the offers; it's no mean feat. I would like to echo the above without discrediting the achievement; it is a fact that the SIP/TC applications are far more competitive. Take solace in the fact that not everyone has the same opportunity as yourself to have an integrated placement. Remember that you are not expected to be an expert in the field or have vast experience working in corporate forms - that is what the placement is designed to cater for. All students in your intake will be in the same boat. Typically, all of the Co-Op placement students will have the opportunity to interview for a TC after the placement ends. Keep a very open mind when going in, engage with your 'buddy', team, and partner, as their feedback is relayed to graduate recruitment and, in turn, your university. Ask questions, gain experience, and if nothing comes of it, a year in a top-tier firm is indisputable. Draw on the experience in future milk round applications. If you find yourself with a lot of free time during your placement (unlikely, but it happens), maybe consider sitting an FE-1 or two, or if you have to do a dissertation/thesis in your final-year, liaise with your law school, you may be able to get a head start on that. Congratulations again, and the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 UCCME

I have a few FE1s under my belt and I am out of college, and I got an internship with a top 5 firm. I'd be hoping that at this stage they'd have taken me on as a potential trainee and I said in my interview I was applying for the internship rather than the traineeship to demonstrate my compatibility? Really hoping so because I feel like this is my best shot.

Did anyone complete virtual internships last year and get a TC out of it? Or know anyone who did, I'd love some reassurance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roofus22

Anybody heard from Fieldfisher interview

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lawstudent2020

Does anybody know generally when applications for Judicial Assistant roles open? What's the general application process like?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Does anybody know generally when applications for Judicial Assistant roles open? What's the general application process like?

It was around October last year you'll have a bit of a wait!

Pre-covid time:
    Application Form
    Multi hour long law exams
    Additional application form + interview

Covid time:
    Application form (the longer one from pre-covid time)
    Timed online research q and email drafting
    Interview

You'd be hoping the vaccine schedule will be way behind when you can see the difference ;) If you're interested in Civil Service legal jobs I'd keep an eye out on the CCPC's website I saw they were looking for people a few months back they could be looking again. Look back through my old posts I've talked about it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

How exactly would one phrase the awkward question of how much a trainee role pays in an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

How exactly would one phrase the awkward question of how much a trainee role pays in an interview?

I wouldn't ask unless I had the offer. You can always turn it down if you think its too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

From what I've seen the going rate at smaller rural firms is €12.30 p/h especially when they're applying for the small firm trainee grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

My advice would be don't apply unless you are going to do it for the 3 year duration.

I had some fe1's under my belt and they asked more that once will you complete the full 3 year contract? The interview was quite awkward tbh - not challenging but awkward.

Having said that I saw many people's profiles in LI who only partially completed the contract.

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    My advice would be don't apply unless you are going to do it for the 3 year duration.

I had some fe1's under my belt and they asked more that once will you complete the full 3 year contract? The interview was quite awkward tbh - not challenging but awkward.

Having said that I saw many people's profiles in LI who only partially completed the contract.

I'm going to apply for JA role with the intention of completing one year only as my TC will start soon

• Advertisement

From what I've seen the going rate at smaller rural firms is €12.30 p/h especially when they're applying for the small firm trainee grant.

This is very good considering that you'll be working fewer hours in a rural place. I would also factor in whether they would be willing to cover Blackhall fees.

Do most firms cover Fe1 fees when you've completed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I'm not sure to be honest. I checked my offer letter and there is nothing there about FE1s only Law Society exams and PPC fees. I had heard from a few people most don't. Haha personally I have written the fees off and if they say they will pay them back its a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, have many people been applying to small/medium firms in Dublin lately?
    Just sat my last 2 FE-1s so going to get cracking soon but just wanted to get a feel for what's its like out there and do I have my work cut out for me! Looking at trying to get something commercial orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SJ108

Not necessarily most firms, but some of the larger ones do it as an incentive. For example, I know that Arthur Cox, McCann and William Fry offer FE1 fee reimbursement (to a maximum of €840). Matheson and MHC make no reference to it on their websites/contracts, and A&L Goodbody does not offer a rebate but offer an incremental salary over your three years that will more than cover it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shylawgirl

How manageable is working a full time summer internship all summer, alongside a part time weekend job while studying for an FE1 in October? Do you think it’s possible to balance all three and still pass the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Shylawgirl wrote: »
    How manageable is working a full time summer internship all summer, alongside a part time weekend job while studying for an FE1 in October? Do you think it’s possible to balance all three and still pass the exam?

Yes I work full time in a busy law firm and have passed 4 FE1s the first go and am doing a masters. You just have to structure. You have 6 months until the exam. Start your study and notes so you don't get overwelmed. You can do it but only do what you can. I only took 2 this March sitting as it was all I could take. Plan your time and chip away at the study and you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Walkers second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mint195

Does anyone know what to expect for walkers second round interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FE1_2020_

is that grant part of the law access programme ? I was under impression that it would be possible to negotiate better terms of pay considering they're receiving a grant of €17,000 could be mistaken on the figure there.

Where have you come across €12.30 per hour ?

Advertisement