Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Didn't get the TC after getting to the second round of interviews. Gutted to say the least. I got down to the final 3 apparently but didn't get an offer. Hoping something crops up on legal vacancies because there has been so little to apply for in the last 2 months and emailing around to random firms has proven to be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Didn't get the TC after getting to the second round of interviews. Gutted to say the least. I got down to the final 3 apparently but didn't get an offer. Hoping something crops up on legal vacancies because there has been so little to apply for in the last 2 months and emailing around to random firms has proven to be pointless.

Sorry to be hear about this mate. But the fact that you got so far shows your application is strong enough and all you need is a lucky break. Keep the faith!

Yeah I'm disappointed as I felt like myself and the partner got on well both times and he was highly, highly complementary of me as a person and did not care about academics at all. (I never even got asked).

One thing I would say is he told me that 1 person who interviewed the best in the first round was immediately ruled out due to their "social media presence" so I'd be careful what you choose to post as places do background checks.

He also knew that I had applied to other firms and had seen my applications. I don't think he should have access to that but he obviously was thorough in his background check of me and had connections in the firms I had emailed. Felt like that somehow bit me on the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Gutted for you but fingers crossed something will pop up. You can at least have an idea as to where you could improve maybe? Well done though on getting as far as you have. It's very competitive out there

I'm feeling a bit hopeless at the moment that I'll even get a TC tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Yeah I'm disappointed as I felt like myself and the partner got on well both times and he was highly, highly complementary of me as a person and did not care about academics at all. (I never even got asked).

One thing I would say is he told me that 1 person who interviewed the best in the first round was immediately ruled out due to their "social media presence" so I'd be careful what you choose to post as places do background checks.

He also knew that I had applied to other firms and had seen my applications. I don't think he should have access to that but he obviously was thorough in his background check of me and had connections in the firms I had emailed. Felt like that somehow bit me on the bum.

Something similar happened to me, went through 3 rounds and thought the final round interview went really well, I was quite confident coming out of it. I do think a lot of times they have people pegged as their favourites and they have their eye on them and it's theirs to lose. I know it's awful now but you will get something.

Bizarre that he somehow had your other applications? Not as if firms could even share them even if they wanted to with GDPR.

On a lighter note I reckon I know who they're talking about with the social media presence 😂 if you're worried just lock your accounts

• Advertisement

I always lock my twitter come application season. Too many political posts to be safe :/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Would the Law Society vacancies page be the best way to find out about available TC's? Been perusing it for a few months now and don't think I've seen one been listed, at least in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

neon123 wrote: »
    Would the Law Society vacancies page be the best way to find out about available TC's? Been perusing it for a few months now and don't think I've seen one been listed, at least in Dublin anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way - it is good alright but there are lots of other sources too and bear in mind many of the larger firms wouldn't necessarily advertise there.

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way - it is good alright but there are lots of other sources too and bear in mind many of the larger firms wouldn't necessarily advertise there.

Thanks for the advise, could you suggest any other ways of finding opportunities as at the moment I'm just sending out speculative applications, but as someone said in another post it's probably not the best way of approaching the task! You mentioned the larger firms, I take it you mean the milkrounds?

lawgrad15 wrote: »

Where else are they advertised? LinkedIn, Indeed, and Jobs are absolutely dead when it comes to TCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bigchungus

Potentially silly question but I'm an FE1 newbie, when is the best time of year to be sending out applications for TCs? I did send out a few speculative apps recently but figured it's not the right time of year. It's pretty nerve-wracking too to see how much demand for them there is compared to availability

bigchungus wrote: »
    Potentially silly question but I'm an FE1 newbie, when is the best time of year to be sending out applications for TCs? I did send out a few speculative apps recently but figured it's not the right time of year. It's pretty nerve-wracking too to see how much demand for them there is compared to availability

Milkrounds. It's gotten worse. This year most firms say they've received the most applications out of any year before.

bigchungus wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, just sat my last 2 FE1's so looking around at the moment. I would have thought now would be a good time for small/medium firms as they could look to start me in September when Black Hall commences. I'm going to keep ploughing on sending speculative applications but I'm also keeping an eye out for legal executive work, but that area seems difficult to get into as most places want experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

That's poor form.

I have heard that the legal salaries are different than the accounting ones. Does anyone have confirmation of what the salary is for the KPMG though?

Handy to know in advance before going through the process.

Has anyone heard back with a date for Walkers second round? The start date for the position is quite soon.

Has KPMG already interviewed for this years TC's? Had a look on Google but I just get an error when I go on the page.

Has KPMG already interviewed for this years TC's? Had a look on Google but I just get an error when I go on the page.

I’m hoping not as I haven’t heard back from them. I get the same error on the page when I view it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

I have heard that the legal salaries are different than the accounting ones. Does anyone have confirmation of what the salary is for the KPMG though?

Has anyone heard back with a date for Walkers second round? The start date for the position is quite soon.

I haven’t heard back from Walkers yet but was under the impression they wanted to start second round interviews next week ...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

KPMG accounting salary first year for September is €28,000

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but does anyone know where is the best place to look for paralegal / legal admin jobs? Thanks!

SKLaw wrote: »
    I’m hoping not as I haven’t heard back from them. I get the same error on the page when I view it

I got a PFO off them a few days back

• Advertisement

I got a PFO off them a few days back

Oh. Sorry to hear that. I haven’t heard from them at all so I’m just gonna assume it’s a PFO for me too

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but does anyone know where is the best place to look for paralegal / legal admin jobs? Thanks!

LinkedIn and the LawSoc vacancies page I would say

Anyone see the Grad Project Assistant role at A&L? Is that geared towards someone from a legal background or business/finance? A bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ilovelaw1999

Has anyone heard back from Dechert for the summer internship? Someone I know got a rejection last week but I haven't received anything since the initial email a month ago saying they'd be in touch soon

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Are small/ a small sized medium firm paying minimum wage and not paying fees kinda the norm in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

jus_me wrote: »
    Are small/ a small sized medium firm paying minimum wage and not paying fees kinda the norm in Dublin?

That has been my experience, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Do people reckon there will be many TC to start in sept or December going over the next 4 months? Current situation is working as a legal secretary but really want to get a TC for this coming year, have fe1s complete. Any advice

channing90 wrote: »
    Do people reckon there will be many TC to start in sept or December going over the next 4 months? Current situation is working as a legal secretary but really want to get a TC for this coming year, have fe1s complete. Any advice

I’m wondering the same as I’m in the same situation. It’s looking somewhat bleak at the moment not gonna lie. There hasn’t been much up on TCs recently

SKLaw wrote: »
    I’m wondering the same as I’m in the same situation. It’s looking somewhat bleak at the moment not gonna lie. There hasn’t been much up on TCs recently

Same for myself , just sending out speculative apps at the moment but it does seem bleak indeed. I wouldn’t even get that excited if a TC opportunity came up on the LS website as a couple of hundred applicants would probably jump on it instantly. Does anyone have much experience with applying for legal exec roles? This is something I’d like to do while things improve and to boost my legal experience but it seems difficult to get a foot in the door and having FE1s on my CV probably means my application goes straight in the bin for many!

• Advertisement

Same for myself , just sending out speculative apps at the moment but it does seem bleak indeed. I wouldn’t even get that excited if a TC opportunity came up on the LS website as a couple of hundred applicants would probably jump on it instantly. Does anyone have much experience with applying for legal exec roles? This is something I’d like to do while things improve and to boost my legal experience but it seems difficult to get a foot in the door and having FE1s on my CV probably means my application goes straight in the bin for many!

Tried to apply to some legal exec roles as I was also thinking I might as well build more experience until TC applications come up again. Haven't been too successful as they're looking for people who has more experience as a legal exec than a legal sec. role. Having completed all my FE1s seems to throw some them off too

Will keep trying though to apply TCs, paralegal/legal exec roles. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us

Advertisement