Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

I'm starting my training contract before I get my results from the March sitting. The firm are aware of this and understand it's out of my control (it's because of the exams being pushed back to end of March). I don't particularly want to ask the firm this so does anyone know what would happen if I fail one but have already started my training contract? Will they cancel my contract or will they defer me a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I'm starting my training contract before I get my results from the March sitting. The firm are aware of this and understand it's out of my control (it's because of the exams being pushed back to end of March). I don't particularly want to ask the firm this so does anyone know what would happen if I fail one but have already started my training contract? Will they cancel my contract or will they defer me a year?

Do you mind me asking if this is a big 6 firm?

It seems the policy varies firm to firm!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

NewFe1 wrote: »

Really depends on the firm - the best thing to do is just ask now tbh just to be sure it’s be worse having started and worrying about the results for the worst to happen and then the firm not having the warning

It’ll be an uncomfortable situation but would be much worse if you wait and do fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

I wonder if its a pre seat

I wonder if its a pre seat

I would say it's a top 10 firm, it is mentioned frequently on this thread. There are a few trainees in the intake in the same situation. We have been scheduled to start at the start of May for a while now. Given the exams were pushed back, we won't have results by then. We are starting regardless. It's an odd enough situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

channing90 wrote: »
    Many people here willing to do a TC in a rural area or are people holding out for a large town or city?

I don't mind myself. I'd absolutely love to get somewhere like Galway but there's zero TCs going there atm. It would definitely take some adjusting but I wouldn't mind training in a really rural area as its only a stepping stone to qualifying and you can go elsewhere then

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Did anyone email to follow up with Lavelles?

Ah jesus I have no luck haha. Just got my 1st TC interview and it's scheduled on a day I have a FE1 exam. Hopefully they can move it and don't move on from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Did anyone email to follow up with Lavelles?

I sent an email yesterday but haven’t heard back

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Ah jesus I have no luck haha. Just got my 1st TC interview and it's scheduled on a day I have a FE1 exam. Hopefully they can move it and don't move on from me!

Great going Lallers96! I know you've made posts previously about worries that your college grades would damage your chances of getting interviews/a training contract. Getting an interview with any firm is a huge achievement. Just email them ASAP and explain that their scheduled interview clashes with your FE1 exam and if they can change the date to one that suits you.

• Advertisement

Congrats! I think sometimes places do it on purpose to see if you can balance! If it's a small firm they're generally sound and will reschedule for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Thats amazing! Congrats, getting an interview is brilliant. Do email them and I would honestly say they will move it. I have some interview prep stuff if you want anything at all just PM me.

I got an interview offer in November and it clashed with an Fe1 exam. I rang them up and they changed the interview time, shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Fair play, do you mind me asking if it's one of the firms discussed on here?

Great going Lallers96! I know you've made posts previously about worries that your college grades would damage your chances of getting interviews/a training contract. Getting an interview with any firm is a huge achievement. Just email them ASAP and explain that their scheduled interview clashes with your FE1 exam and if they can change the date to one that suits you.

Yes I got onto them straight away to ask if they could accommodate me. Thanks to all who've passed on their congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, I did a trainsiship interview for a firm and got the dreaded rejection email last week from the HR person. I asked for feedback on how I could improve for any future applications but never got a reply. Is this normal and should I send another follow up or is that their way of saying they don't give feedback. They might have missed the mail but they were quick to reply to my emails leading up to the interview. Also, if anyone has any tips for these types of interviews they would be much appreciated as I thought the two separate chats with HR person and the parter went very well so I've been left scratching my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I did a trainsiship interview for a firm and got the dreaded rejection email last week from the HR person. I asked for feedback on how I could improve for any future applications but never got a reply. Is this normal and should I send another follow up or is that their way of saying they don't give feedback. They might have missed the mail but they were quick to reply to my emails leading up to the interview. Also, if anyone has any tips for these types of interviews they would be much appreciated as I thought the two separate chats with HR person and the parter went very well so I've been left scratching my head.

I had four traineeship interviews last milkrounds. I emailed all for feedback and none of them replied. Unfortunately it just seems to be the way firms interact. They obviously get a house he amount of applications but also know they can't get in trouble for not replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Clifford Chance PFOs out!

Congratulations and best of luck!

I had four traineeship interviews last milkrounds. I emailed all for feedback and none of them replied. Unfortunately it just seems to be the way firms interact. They obviously get a house he amount of applications but also know they can't get in trouble for not replying.

Ah ok, guess I'll leave it at that so. Very annoying because I'm obviously not doing something right and some simple pointers would probably go along way!

• Advertisement

Clifford Chance PFOs out!

LOL if someone manages to get a Clifford Chance TC here we should hold a celebratory party.

Ah ok, guess I'll leave it at that so. Very annoying because I'm obviously not doing something right and some simple pointers would probably go along way!

I feel you! A small bit of pointers would be very helpful so I can at least work on it and be aware of it

Some places are very good for feedback, AC did calls for their TC feedbacks. I've done others and they're the biggest load of crap, you were good, nothing was wrong. Ok? And? What can I take from this and do better next time?
    I think a lot of times, particularly for smaller places or firms with fewer spots they have their eye on someone particular, so really it's theirs to lose and they interview others just in case?
    I know it's not helpful but don't fret too much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 blondie8856

I would send another email and politely remind them that you would appreciate a reply. Make sure to include your phone number too as I've found that speaking with HR directly on the phone means that they generally give you better feedback.

I've had quite a few rejections and it's not uncommon that you don't receive a reply to the first email you send. When I was rejected from a top 5 firm I waited a week after the first email and then sent a second. I had a nice chat with HR on the phone and they were impressed that I followed up from my interview and re-interviewed me the next round!

Best of luck :)

It's difficult to accept but sometimes you didn't do anything particularly wrong to be rejected in the TC interview. You were attentive, answered the questions the right way, and your interview went perfectly fine. It's just that when you have a 100 people interviewed for 10 places, it's oftentimes things outside your control that went wrong. Perhaps the Partner was a bit grumpy after a difficult client call, or you were competing against perfect candidates, or it may be superficial characteristics like a slow Internet connection, and if in person, things like posture, demeanour and accent. It's impossible to say and feedback given by most firms really aren't great. Just remember not to second guess yourself, and put the best version of yourself forward. You can't do much more than that.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I knew it would be an arduous process in my head so just have to accept the fact that it's going to take time until the right oppurtunity comes my way. This seems to have become the de facto thread for people looking to get a TC so would people be interested in getting a dedicated thread set up similar to the FE-1 thread? I can set it up later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 livelaughlaw

AC offers out?

Yeah I got my offer last friday

• Registered Users Posts: 14 livelaughlaw

I was told by a Maples trainee at a drinks reception a couple years back that they have an informal policy of usually rejecting applicants below either 500 or 450 points. I would be happy to be corrected about this, but I think some other places have similar policies in place. I don't agree with it of course.

My friend was praised for his LC results in an interview for big 4 recently and I just thought it was super weird like everyone in tcd law has a good leaving cert it’s strange that they would bring it up when most of us have such strong experiences that deserve more attention than that yknow ?

My friend was praised for his LC results in an interview for big 4 recently and I just thought it was super weird like everyone in tcd law has a good leaving cert it’s strange that they would bring it up when most of us have such strong experiences that deserve more attention than that yknow ?

Same thing happened to me! Partners mentioned my LC results too even though I don't have an amazing LC (low 500). I suppose they're very traditional having sat the exams themselves so they unduly focus on LC instead of really important things like background and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Any word from fieldfisher does anybody know?

Advertisement