Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭skaface

Keep refreshing the ticketmaster page at different times during the day.. Thats how i got 2.. Hopefully, they will release more today at some stage.. Keep an eye out 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Gleeson red card upheld, out for the Tipp game. No surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kept doing that and nothing, kept going back to the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

It does seem odd that tickets can’t seem to be got through the link, but yet it doesn’t appear on the link as sold out.

The Dublin Kildare game does show as sold out under the parking options after you click on the stand / pod you select but no reference to the Waterford Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I was getting that too - very annoying to click to buy a pod of 2 for a hurling game in Cork, queue and then be presented with Dublin V Kildare and parking on Clonliffe Rd as options.

• Advertisement

Yeah but later our dreams could be dashed when they put sold out up on the page

It's a balls really, are there hangers on getting tickets that missed the other 2 tickets games

Back to the match itself, going to be very difficult esp missing the suspended Connor Gleeson and Iarlaith Daly then add on the 3 weeks in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Montys return

The allocation is only 3,000. There was that many people at the MSHL game against Clare in early January 2 years ago.

Don't think you could suggest a load of glorys are getting the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JD. 60

So Iarlaith Daly is definitely out then ?

Don't forget we have Fives & McNulty available .......

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Maybe we could storm the stadium like over in Wembley.

Make sure to put on Tipp colours though and a Tipp accent in case it gets recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Surprised mcnulty dropped this year given his performances last 2 years.

Given he has a point to prove I don't think he will weaken the side....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

They say that sports teams cannot simply turn it on when they want to, that they have to develop a run of form before hitting the high spots. However, the way Waterford reproduced against Galway last Saturday the type of performance which saw them winning pulling up against Tipperary last June, with two flat performances against Clare and Laois in between, would set you wondering.

I am indeed wondering if, given the kind of high-intensity, high-energy, type of game he favours, Liam Cahill may have decided to hold things in reserve in the early stages of the championship and to go all-out over a 5/6 week period through the qualifier route. If this is the case, he hardly reckoned on coming up against Galway, the second favourites to win the All-Ireland, in the second qualifying round.

Whether or which, as if with the flick of a switch, Waterford were able, almost out of the blue, to reproduce the high-intensity, high-skill, running game which overwhelmed Tipperary in June with Waterford winning pulling up. There was a remarkable similarity in scores between the two games, with Waterford beating Tipperary 2-29 to 3-21 and Galway 1-30 to 3-20. This was the game when Peter Hogan was first tried in a midfield role for Waterford, an experiment that worked like a dream, with Hogan repeating the performance last Saturday.

The big difference, of course, was that, while Tipperary got most of their scores in the first half, Galway got most of theirs in the last quarter. Waterford started very slowly against Tipperary but got on top in the second quarter and dominated from there to the end. By contrast, they were out of the blocks like lightning against Galway, but ended up hanging on, as the strains of playing in the blazing heat a man short began to tell.

It is instructive that Tipperary also started brilliantly against Limerick in the recent Munster Final, but then faded away in the second half as they did against Waterford. Incidentally, much the same happened to their Under-20 team in their recent Munster semi-final against Cork. Expect them to go for broke in the first half against Waterford next Saturday, as they are unlikely to have the legs to survive if the teams are close at half time.

Another contrast between the two games is that, against Tipperary, Waterford repeatedly fed Dessie Hutchinson and Shane Bennett who went to town on the Tipperary corner backs. Last Saturday, Waterford tried a new approach, with players running hard from midfield and then laying the ball off sideways to players running in support who then had room to shoot from distance. In the warm-up to the game, you could see Waterford working hard on this routine. They must have done it countless times in training, as at times there were players queueing up to take the layoff pass.

And they must have also worked very hard in training at shooting from the wing which, in the first half last Saturday, was extraordinarily accurate. This ploy was almost exclusively executed on the right wing. In the first half, Waterford had 16 shots at goal from the right wing (including frees and sidelines) and only missed two of them (one going wide and one falling short). They only had six shots originating from the left wing, two of which went wide and one of which was saved.

In the second half, being a man short largely ruled this stratagem out, and it is greatly to the credit of the players that they still dug the game out in the circumstances. Despite the heroics of the first half, ultimately this game was won in the third quarter when, despite being a man short, Waterford scored four more points than Galway, which was the ultimate victory margin. Were it not for Conor Gleeson’s red card (his third, if I remember correctly, in a Waterford senior shirt), Waterford would probably have won this game pulling up, as they did against Tipperary. Instead, they had to battle right to the end, which could end up taking its toll eventually, given the road that lies ahead.

I thought that Liam Cahill could have handled the final quarter more effectively. Galway had to score goals to get back in the game. In that situation, I thought he should have brought on an extra defender and planted him in the D in front of the goal. Too many times Waterford defenders were one-on-one against Galway forwards in this area.

I also thought that he should have got fresh, and quick, legs on the field to mark Jason Flynn when he came on. It should be remembered that Flynn also did fatal damage to Waterford in the closing stages of the 2017 All-Ireland Final.

Waterford also needed a different puckout strategy in the closing quarter. Time after time, Shaun O’Brien’s high puckouts into the wind were gobbled up by the Galway defence with the ball coming back right away. Waterford desperately needed some kind of short puckout strategy, allowing the ball to be played in over the Galway half back line.

I had to laugh when assistant TV commentator Anthony Nash stated that Calum Lyons and Jamie Barron were rival candidates for the award of player of the match. With his 15 possessions, four points from play and key contributions to other scores, Barron was clearly the best player on the pitch. However, despite a couple of spectacular plays, Lyons actually had a rather quiet game with just six possessions, of which five came in the first half.

Much more meritorious were the performances of Peter Hogan (14 possessions in what were, effectively, 55 minutes of playing time) and Shane Bennett (13 possessions). I thought the experiment of playing Bennett at centre back worked quite well. While the man he was supposed to be marking, Conor Whelan, shot three points and won a couple of other key balls, I thought Bennett covered very well across the half back line and won a couple of great balls himself. He is inclined to take risks, which is fine when one is playing up front, but not to be encouraged when defending at this level.

An interesting fact from this game is that Joe Canning did not get his hand on the ball in open play until the 65th minute, when he scored his record-breaking point. He managed two further possessions which, unfortunately for Waterford, were the super passes for Jason Flynn’s two goals. It is a pity to see him retiring, as he has adorned the game of hurling for the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Anyone 3 tickets spare for tomorrow

Finally, Peter Hogan is getting the recognition he deserves ! I think credit can go to Cahill & the management team ; they must have the ability to push and encourage players to express themselves ; it seems to have worked with Jack Fagan too. Maybe some of the 'lesser lights' might make similar improvement ; to get beyond tomorrow (and further), the extended panel have to be utilised to its maximum as physical and mental fatigue sets in. Maybe, as you suggest, Cahill is trying to 'time his run', so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

There doesn’t seem to be a ticket available anywhere in the county for tomorrow. It’s strange that the ticketing website doesn’t have the match marked as sold out and the option is still there. I’m living about 20 minutes from the Pairc I’m going to walk down tomorrow on the off chance someone has a ticket for sale but I think those days are gone now.

Tickets for Cork/Dublin match are up now on Ticketmaster. No mention of Waterford match ..... sure what's the hurry, there's about 24 hours to throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Lads i just checked ticketmaster and can't see any tickets up or even a link to click on like for the Galway match. Déise exile here in Laois. Go to as many matches as I can but not a member of a club in Waterford. Hurled til u21 and then drink and college took over.

Would be really disappointed like so many others not to get a ticket to the Tipp match. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

That's a good idea Motivator, I might try the same myself.

• Advertisement

I imagine it’s because the link was never made public as club members took up the full allocation for Waterford.

I don’t mean to seem harsh, apologies if it comes across this way, but if you are only looking for the tickets 26 hours before the throw in, I wonder how many games you have been to. It’s an All Ireland Quarter Final with only 6,000 spectators allowed. Demand was going to be huge & that proved to be the case. Many who tried to get tickets on the morning it was released to club members couldn’t get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

It's annoying when the clubs get all the tickets. It sounds fine, but how many Waterford people are based on Dublin? I'm active with a club up here, but that's no good getting tickets for Waterford games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

Tickets were only issued Wednesday evening or even yesterday morning. I’m involved in a club in Cork having not lived in Waterford in 9 years I couldn’t commit to anything in my own club. So to be fair, everyone is looking for tickets 26 hours before the game. That’s just the way it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Montys return

Shefflin wasn't the only fella pipped in the scoring charts on Saturday. Cannings solitary point from play means he moved to 4th in the all time list, 1 point ahead of John Mullane based on stats I saw.

But Mullane played 15 less championship games. Just goes to show what a hurler Mullane was, and I know he's 5 all stars so hardly under rated but he'd too often be dismissed in conversations about the best forwards of all time when he deserves his place in the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

See there's a job going over in Wexford. Where to for Fitzy now, & who'll be taking over the reins there?

http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2021/07/wexford-gaa-statement-re-senior-hurling-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

And I've never seen someone who earned as many scoreable frees as mullane. He was so quick out to the ball and on the turn.

I'd say if you added points score by a player and from frees won by him mullane would be out on his own. I've nothing to hack that up, but I'd be amazed if he wasn't on his own up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

For the Cahill obsessed, it's not a one-man show:

• Advertisement

Christ id love to stuff this Tipp lads

Been done by one of the own would make it even sweeter

Advertisement