Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

guys like ‘Hoggy’ harnedy Reid etc playing on into their mid 30’s. Why are people here querying whether some of our late 20’s guys will throw in the towel…?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Others may disagree but I think the 7 day turnaround was a big factor as we had no specific plan for Limerick. Taking them on with individual runners is crazy as they are brilliant at having the first player hold and then the others surround. Plus to a man they're huge. However even if we had the extra opportunity it's likely the result would be the same as you get the sense Limerick can always pull out a bit more if needed.

Waterford gave it a rattle all the same and have far more credit in the bank than this time last year. It will be interesting to see if Davy stays on as we've all heard the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

If limericks shooting was better it could have been a 20 point beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭Motivator

A disappointing end to a few weeks of Championship that promised an awful lot after the first day out against Cork. Ultimately, we’re just a notch below Limerick and Clare. Today was a bridge too far after the chaotic injury time incidents in our last 2 games. There was a marked improvement from the league campaign and Davy Fitzgerald will be given plenty of credit for getting the team competitive again but some of the decisions on the line, or lack of decisions in some cases, you wouldn’t expect from a man who is the most experienced manager for any county in the country now. Today I think he got an awful lot wrong, Limerick still would have found a way to win I think but the line need to be more proactive instead of reactive and reactive when it’s too late.

Small margins are how games are won and lost at inter county level and unfortunately Waterford came out the wrong side of those small margins and tight calls in two games which ultimately ended our summer for us. The square ball goal in the Tipp game was a sickener but the game should have been beyond them long before that and there’s no point dwelling on it now. Despite the round Robin giving us entertainment and more games in Munster, having our season ended before the summer really gets going is tough to take yet again.

I know your username is motivator but if u think Waterford Is just a notch below limerick with 5 all Ireland’s in 6 years and 5 Munster in a row I ll have what your drinking son

• Advertisement

you should stick to the limerick threads and stop being smug arrogant banker

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JD. 60

not a cheap shot. Just a dose of reality. Maybe find the 2011 win v limerick on YouTube if it’s there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

We all knew at the start of the championship two home games at the start were crucial , it was small margins this campaign but that’s this round robin munster championship for you . Obviously performance wise we were much better but at the end of the day it’s no dice gone in may . While the underage teams are struggling now that we have dropped down a division think we have to bring more players along and get them up to championship speed . I presume Davy will go again next season , dust ourselves down and go again that’s all we can do unfortunately that’s all we we’ve being doing for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gisele

Come off the stage re: just below Limerick.

Waterford’s only campaign win was very dubious - caught Cork on the hop big time (6 lads lost their place on cork team after that showing) and some very favourable refereeing.

Waterford might be lucky to get another win in this competition next year I would think .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

Cork will win **** all this year or next...Now PFO.…

"Come off the stage re: just below Limerick.

Waterford’s only campaign win was very dubious - caught Cork on the hop big time (6 lads lost their place on cork team after that showing) and some very favourable refereeing.

Waterford might be lucky to get another win in this competition next year I would think ."

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

Similar could be said for Cork catching Limerick on the hop. What is with your obvious delight in other counties misfortune? It's hard to comprehend

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

Because Gisele is obvs a sad and pathetic troll with **** all else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

A Waterford person calling someone scum 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Is that the best you can come up with .I think it's your bedtime 😜. You are not the brightest 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Why can the people from the other counties just leave us alone? 😭

Limerick better team today.

The last few mins against Tipp coming back to haunt us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

A few apes showing up here this evening for the first time to stick the knife in, kinda sad, don’t bite and they’ll disappear again,

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

Yeah fairly pathetic... Beat us on the pitch and then they come on here to gloat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Proof if it's needed that the limerick lads after a bit of success have turned into bigger w'n/erks than Tipp in their prime. Wasn't that long ago they were writing books about "unlimited heartbreak"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Here here. I know the majority of Waterford people were delighted to see them get over the line in 2018 as we know what it’s like to be starved of success. They have short memories some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Waterford next year with Austin Gleeson centre back , Tadgh de Burcha full back would be one formidable team

their day in the ‘doldrums’ will return……they have short memories but most of the ‘gloaters/bankers’ are probably teenagers/early 20’s and have been skulling cans since noon today…….bad winners are every bit as bad as sore losers😡😡 we shouldn’t be rising to the bait but it’s hard not to😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭siyo

Lads don't give them two clowns any oxygen and they'll soon head off.

Disappointing finish to the season but a few positives in fairness. Team has a bit of steel and resilience in it now that was missing for a while. Good to see likes of Kevin Mahony being persisted with and his last two performances were the results of that. Patrick Fitzgerald is another one who the four appearances should help with his development. Delighted to see Paddy Leavey get the start today and he done well.

Few areas of concern would be the puckouts,teams seemed to have figured that if they force us to go long we don't have the size in our half forward line to win the ball and we look uncomfortable at times going short, this is a big issue that we'll need to sort. I think the management bring Stevie out to half forward to try get him more on the ball but that has the knock on effect of our inside forwards looking bit weak. We need more from Kiely so hopefully he'll keep improving for next year.

All in all even though I'm disappointed I think we've made improvements just very frustrating that we'll have to wait till next April to see a bit of decent Waterford hurling again.

Would ye keep Davy? To be fair the man gets a lot of criticism but I'd make the case that hes the only Waterford manager to make us competitive and consistent over 4 round robin games while also putting a bit of fight back in the team, there was a lot made of the league performances but I think two things are clear now about that -

1 the league is a farce for trying to predict championship form ( Waterford in 2022 and even Limerick last year who stuttered through Munster at times)

2 I'd say we were doing a lot of heavy training throughout it as if you look at our performances we were in most games at half time but fell away in the second half.

On the other hand ya could say thanks for the two years Davy but we want to go in another direction and if we do who's available that could push us on another step?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

At least we don't have a thug like Hayes representing us or a manager who defends his behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i didnt see the game today , but waterford have been excellent this year , i give the credit to quealy but i am sure fitz deserves most of it , fitz has the potential to be one of the best coaches in the country if he is not so stubborn

but ultimately i imagine the guy beside him had a lot to say in it all year , i gave ye a huge shout before last week in ennis because of just how well prunty , de burca , calum lyons and mark Fitzgerald were playing , i regard that waterford half backline as the best in munster and its a serious starting point for next year , i dont like fitz because of his antics and potshots but he has done a serious job , bring back aussie and the bennetts fully fit and next year will be a different story ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've cleaned up the thread, banned a user and a couple of warnings, please remember the rules of Boards.ie when posting.

Advertisement