Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully we get a big Waterford crowd travelling on Sunday, the team deserve it on their displays so far in this year's Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JD. 60

The standard of refereeing in GAA has always been controversial and mixed. Some refs are clearly better than others though. You'll often find a ref will let things go but blow up for a similar offence/tackle 5 minutes later …. it's too inconsistent. If I'm not mistaken Cork suffered last year with some wrong decisions (in the Limerick match) where the final margin was paper thin. As regards the 'hand pass' ! In every game now the ball is being thrown around the place wily nilly and nobody is being pulled up, apart from maybe a token foul being called occasionally.

A TMO would be ideal for the big decisions (penalty shouts ; square ball ; red cards) but that would slow up the game and anyway, hell will freeze over before the GAA goes down that route.

I anticipated a close game yesterday but that was a real body blow at the end. There was a long delay before Kelly's free and taking the 65 that I'm surprised that another play wasn't allowed but that's GAA refs for you. I'm not optimistic about next Sunday but it's not impossible ; however, if the defence is as wide open as yesterday, we'll be punished again. As commented already, Kevin Mahoney did really well yesterday and what about Ian Kenny's solo/point. Would be great to have Prunty and Monty available. Maybe start Shane Bennett and the 2 Fitzgeralds as opposed to bringing them on as subs. I'm still surprised that Leavy & Sheehan haven't featured. Also commented already, these lads have experience of winning in Limerick (albeit in club championship).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JD. 60

BTW ... are we ever going to get an ultra reliable freetaker. Interesting that Tadgh landed his one free yesterday ; maybe use him on the long distance ones. It was noticeable that Tadgh was out on his feet at the end ; let's hope he's fighting fit for Sunday (or will Davy pull a surprise by starting Billy Nolan in a holding 6 position).

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I’m pretty sure Tadhg missed a long range one as well as the one he scored. It was from a very similar position. Freetaking could well be what costs us ultimately. Stephen Bennett seems to be fully fit now, personally I would prefer that he took them over Dessie.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cbwfd

Stephen Bennett should be left on the frees at this stage. Dessie is visibly not comfortable or natural in taking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭deise man

I wonder if the free taking is actually taking from dessies game in open play. He might be better if he had nothing to do with frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Anyone not taking frees for their club shouldnt be taking the frees at intercounty, my heart skips a beat when i see Dessie taking them to be fair he's accurate enough as long as he connects with the ball, not Dessie's fault but what's Davy thinking putting him in that position, of course its going to affect him if he's missing frees it sucks the confidence out of a player he's mind is on the last free missed rather than the next play..Stephen isnt perfect and misses a few but he's been taking frees since he could hold a hurl and has learned just to get on with it and can still play well and not let it affect him..Time Davy put a stop to this if he has no faith in Bennet then Patrick Curran is a good freetaker and is worth his spot in the team just to take frees

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Minor hurlers will face Galway in the All Ireland Preliminary QF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Without exaggerating but I genuinely felt like vomiting as that 65 went over yesterday. I didn't even see or know of any scenes afterwards as I had to turn it off in disgust, I couldn't bear to watch anymore. Sick to the pit of my **** stomach.

Our championship has essentially boiled down to three pucks of a ball - Tipp's (soft) free at the end to tie up the game, Horgan's late penalty last week and that 65 in Ennis. If even any one of those doesn't happen we're home and hosed. Sickeningly small margins.

Not only is it now a huge ask to go to Limerick and get something, we've to face them while they themselves know they can't lose. Not the situation I imagined, I really thought they'd be qualified by now and could afford to rest players with one eye on a Munster final.

In saying that, hopefully the lads can take the hurt from yesterday and unleash it next weekend. All we simply have to do it just not lose (easier said than done, I know) but it's also a big carrot knowing that a win will not only guarantee progress to an AI series and Munster final, they will go down as the team that ended the 5-in-a-row. That's a massive prize on offer - a chance to put their names in the history books. Davy should be drilling that into them as well as, as others have said, using the pain from yesterday. It's just as well it's still in our own hands, even if it's a big ask as it would've been even worse yesterday if the season ended that way with no opportunity to try put things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

No the square ball rule has nothing to do with when the ball is struck. That's the offside rule in soccer you are thinking of there. You've revealed yourself as being clueless.

Next time, maybe try trolling on a subject you know something about Gisele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

my big fear this weekend is that Davy will revert to type with a sweeper or come up with something mad to try and nullify Limerick that will ultimately backfire. He will look at it that Waterford pushed Limerick all the way last year in fact we should have beaten them had we been able to puck the ball over the bar

We need to trust what has worked for us so far this year and as cake man said at least finish the year on a better note than had it ended like it did last Sunday. It will be another absolute dogfight and won’t be a puck of the ball in it again. I’m certain of that

On the frees, agree totally time to take Dessie off them, unfortunately since Pairic Mahony we haven’t had a consistent free taker and while Bennett isn’t the most orthodox either it’s the best option to leave him on them. Yes he’s going to miss a few but he’ll score more than he’ll miss at least.

We’ve been hitting big scores regardless and another 26/27 point will be needed at least next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How good are Galway…..? From a quick search kk beat them easily, can’t see any others….given the mostly poor results from waterford at this level ie 3 losses out of 4 Galway probably won’t be easy but who ‘nose’ they could pull a performance out of the hat…..🎩 and surprise us all…?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

It's not a great group from Galway. Results for this group U15 U16 etc was poor. This has followed through into this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Absolutely.

Every match has debatable refereeing decisions, which is of course frustrating for players and managers.

But Davy is the only one who is consistently highly abusive towards match officials. Other managers seem to be able to get by without it. Is Davy the only one who can be "passionate" about hurling, are the likes of John Kiely, Sheedy, Pat Ryan etc. not passionate about hurling?

What makes it worse is Davy going on the media, talking about respect for referees or complaining about abuse that he gets. Total hypocrite. We don't exactly have a long queue of referees at any level but yet he's happy to abuse them when he wants.

I don't know if he really has such anger issues, or if it's some sort of an act to get his players going - but either way it's not a good look.

I remember when he was Clare manager, you wouldn't bring your kids into the stands behind the coaching, he'd be bawling people out of it for the whole 70 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Total neutral here, but i actually think the media play a big part in how Davy is portrayed. I have watched and been to enough matches to see managers lose the plot on the sidelines but somehow Davy always seems to be shown on camera and then all over social media.

He hadnt touched anyone on sunday when Corbett (i think) came in and pushed him. No reason whatsoever for him to get involved.

Then in the interview afterwards being asked about himself and lohan, again keep it to the game but it always seems as if they are looking to get a reaction from him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will Dessie Start the next day, his form has been so poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some heartbreaking scenario's for us there esp the 2nd last one in which we'd go out on 'scoring difference'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

That scenario looks incorrect on that table to me?

In the event of Cork, Clare and Waterford finishing on 4 points

Current scoring diff = Cork +15 (into final regardless). However Clare currently on 0 and Waterford on +2. Clare's zero would only get worse with a defeat, whereas Waterford would remain on +2 and therefore take third place.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

4 PTS .Clare would go out

• Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Gisele

Not trolling at all, just don't buy into or get the slamming of officials by Waterford, it is not fair and makes no sense when clearly Waterford had the benefit of very poor officiating in their opening two games. That is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

Very proud of this group of lads and how they've played this munster championship. Hope to god we play with no fear on Sunday and just go at Limerick. Tighten it up at the back - mark both gillane & Flanagan out of it and we will have a right chance. Davy will no doubt have the lads fired up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭seananigans

i suppose if you want to be munster or ai champs you have to beat not just the teams but the officials too, destiny is in their own hands

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

On officials. I honestly thought we got a fair few dubious frees to be fair and Shane o Donnell should have got a few. 65 was correct but not where it was taken. I’m a complete anti Davy man but credit where it’s due. We’re back playing hurling like it should be played whatever changed that but I’ll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

My own team Cork have had a few questionable calls too with sending offs especially the Cahalane one against Waterford which seemed very harsh. I can understand the frustration over the 65 call as do close to being virtually guaranteed 3rd with it. I'd be the same if it happened to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭914

What's not to get, Waterford management and officials have no replay so at that moment in time they surely honestly felt the ref made the call on a hunch as the umpire couldn't see it.

I was watching it and at the time I was thinking no way any of them saw that (I hadn't a clue if it was a 65 or not), I had the advantage later on in the day of seeing a reply and then it was clear it was a 65 and the right call was made.

You then have the 65 taking a good few feet ahead of the 65 yard line and despite telling the linesman and fourth official no action was taking.

They were within a few seconds of qualifying for the first time out of the round robin despite being out of the game on 3 or 4 occasions, it is very easy to see how emotions would spill over there.

I have yet to re watch it and see how much time was taken up for the penalty when the free was awarded how much time was taken and when the 65 was awarded how much time was taken.

So based on the above

1. Everyone on the sideline didn't know if it genuinely was a 65 or not

2. Based on the above they felt a guess was made

3. The ball was place ahead of the 65 and by the time it was struck well ahead of the 65 despite telling the linesman and fourth offical

4. Unsure if more time should have been added due to the penalty, free and 65

Very easy to see how emotions would spill over there.

I do feel it was clear Davy was gonna have a pop and someone should have just walked him in and had that conversation in referees room.

Also Davy's outburst was tame enough, it wasn't until the clare backroom member got involved by pushing Davy and telling him to f*** off where things went from Davy blowing off some steam to more than one arguing, pushing and shoving.

The RTE and media have bothered me a bit saying this shouldn't happen as the right call was made, at that moment on the field no one knew if the right call was made.

Hurling is an emotional sport, it's tough, it's physical, it's hard and emotional.

I'm not excusing the outburst just saying why it might have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Advertisement

Great response, give yourself a pat on the back.

Advertisement