Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

In terms of community, if you take these GAA clubs out of the areas because they've amalgamated, you are left with nothing but a church and a school as even the country pub is becoming a thing of the past. You play with your teammates in school and the GAA club and if you progress to adult level you represent your community. It is about more than playing at a higher level even if that is the ultimate goal.

You take the GAA clubs out of Kilgobnet, Colligan, Tooranena & Modeligo or Butlerstown & Dunhill/Fenor or Tallow & Knockanore and tell them to amalgamate and you would see what reaction you would get. There are enough players to make up 2 teams in most of these clubs individually. It's not like underage when you depend on a group of the same age, these adult teams have a wide age range.

Also if clubs are amalgamated, you will see a higher dropout level as not all players will make the adult teams. B teams are all well and good but lads will stop training and playing if they are told they aren't good enough to play with the main team. If these clubs were to amalgamate, you could have 100 players using St Pat's (Kilgobnet, Colligan, Tooranena & Modeligo) as an example so do you make 4 teams, A, B, C & D teams?

I don't see the issue with the system in place, you play at the level that your club is at and if you and your team is good enough, you will progress through the levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

For me, the big performance in the third round of the county senior hurling championship last weekend was from Dungarvan in their impressive victory over Mount Sion. Admittedly, the outcome of the game wasn’t particularly important but it was still a fairly full-blooded encounter. The significance of Dungarvan’s earlier win over De La Salle was being discounted in some quarters following the latter’s subsequent abject defeat to Mount Sion. However, this win, and the manner in which it was achieved, may cause a lot more people than usual to sit up and take notice.

Such has been Dungarvan’s inconsistency in the past that two good showings in a row will raise questions as to whether they are really different this year. A key feature of these two wins has been a strong team performance, with everyone working hard to shut down the opposition and create openings for themselves.

Dungarvan started well here, but Mount Sion quickly established a dominant position, and seemed well on their way to victory by the first water break. However, whatever was said to them at the break, Dungarvan completely owned the second quarter to go in at half time six points in front. The star of this quarter, and scorer of the Dungarvan goal, was wing forward Michael Kiely, putting in possibly his best shift yet in the Old Boro colours.

Mount Sion, led by Stephen Roche and Alan Kirwan, made a big effort to get back in the game early in the second half, but with half-time substitute Gavin Crotty having a big impact, Dungarvan re-established themselves and held on to their six-point lead to the end. Colm Curran was another key figure for Dungarvan, but they also got a lot of other big performances from the likes of Colm’s brother Patrick, Kenny Moore, Jack Leacy and Kielan Daly. Former county minor Tristan Loftus also looked good when introduced late on. With county panellist Kieran Power also to return from injury, Dungarvan could still have a big say in the destination of the championship.

The other big game of the weekend was Fourmilewater’s three-point win over Tallow. As in the previous week, FMW always looked the better team here, but were unable to put a battling Tallow side away, not helped by shooting 13 wides during the course of the game. Tallow’s cause was severely dented by the loss of Jordan Henley to injury in the 23rd minute. Thomas Ryan was also clearly not nearly fully fit, with his free-taking accuracy not up to the level of previous weeks. 

It also did not help that Ian Beecher was not nearly as effective as he had been in the earlier games. However, when he put the Bridesiders ahead with a super point midway through the second half, it looked possible that we might see a shock result. However, this was the cue for Jamie Barron to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, his four points from play between the 55th and 63rd minutes seeing FMW home. Apart from Barron, FMW’s big performer here was left half back Shane Ryan, while Ryan Gray was Tallow’s stand-out player.

The most touching moment of the weekend was Ballysaggart’s first win in senior championship hurling, although it was of little use to them in the greater order of things. While the result was meaningless to Lismore in championship terms, there was always going to be a bit of edge between these near neighbours which contributed to an enjoyable contest. It looked for most of the game that Lismore’s greater spread of strength and class would see them over the line, but Stephen Bennett’s goal from a free in the 46th minute, followed by an astonishing point from the same player under pressure out on the sideline a few minutes, gave Ballysaggart the inspiration to hang on for a famous victory. That said, I don’t know how the referee allowed several Ballysaggart players to stand on the edge of the Lismore square for Bennett’s 20-metre free.

Clonea, clearly affected (like Abbeyside) by their recent football commitments in their first game against Roanmore, put in a much better performance this time against Passage. They dominated the game territorially in the first half, with Conor Dalton having a great game at centre back, but lacked punch up front, to the extent that Billy Power was their only scorer up to the 49th minute. The two goals which Passage scored in this period were very much against the run of play, with one of them coming from a bad defensive error.

Clonea kept it going in the third quarter, and with a 51st minute James Power goal putting them five points ahead, the prospect of them securing the nine-point win they needed to qualify for the quarter-finals looked real. However, they failed to score in the last ten minutes, with Passage impressively upping their game to take complete control and Thomas Connors’s brilliant solo goal in the 57th minute sealing the issue.

There is not much to be said about Abbeyside’s facile win over Ballyduff Upper. The latter were rather unfortunate to find themselves in the same group as the Villagers and Ballygunner, but it is unlikely that they would have survived in any grouping and seem destined for relegation. Given the weakness of the opposition, one is wary about making any comments about individual Abbeyside performances, but I will make an exception of the good marking job which Darragh McGrath did on Mikey Kearney. Finally, a question: why would any outfield Abbeyside player opt for a low-percentage potshot at goal from distance, when a ball sent into Michael Kiely has a much higher probability of yielding a score?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pudz2180

Dunhill & de la salle intermediate sounds like a great game in carrick beg. Dunhill winning through 4-18 to 2-23 after extra time. They play tramore in semi final on Sunday. Erins own play ferrybank in the other semi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ballinameela and Geraldines are St Olivers up to U21. There was moves to merge them as the one club a few years back but it was doomed to failure as it had to happen over people's dead bodies or words to that effect were bandied about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will be the same argument if any of the city clubs want to merge

Roanmore/St Pauls/St Saviours and Erin's Own- team named City Rovers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

What about the biggest problem of all one club catering for a population of 30,000?

Obviously hard to look past ballygunner at the weekend. Other three games harder to call especially dungarvan vs abbeyside. Probably go with passage, lismore and just about dungarvan!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

It's a bit unfortunate for both dungarvan and abbeyside to draw each other in the quarter finals, but what a game in prospect.

for me, abbeyside have been the most impressive team so far, aside from Ballygunner, and I think they will beat dungarvan this weekend. dungarvan have been very impressive too, but the mix of physicality and quality hurlers that abbeyside have shown to date has been very impressive and I think they might shade this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Yea, I think they're the two teams that would have the best chance of beating Ballygunner - if anyone is going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

some absolute tripe being spoken on here. Clubs that can currently field 2 teams are being suggested as should be disbanded and amalgamate with other clubs? Sure, Less players playing the game is what will bring hurling on in the county……

DLS so called bigger club that has players from all over, in a relegation final again….. versus a parish that probably has a lower living population than DLS has club members

theres your amalgamated team if you want it

• Advertisement

Yes I agree, they look best positioned to have a right cut at Ballygunner. I was very impressed how abbeyside got stuck into Ballygunner, in kiely and Montgomery they have 2 outstanding young forwards who can take a score which is vital.

it's a fascinating game this weekend, dungarvan have serious scoring potential in their forwards this season, could go either way, but I have a slight fancy for abbeyside.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

Could see Gavin Crotty start this weekend after his impact last weekend when he came on and Tristan Loftus also had an impact. Be interesting to see if Kieran Power is fit and who would he replace as Kenny Moore was very good the last day who probably got in instead but all the backs were good but I particularly thought Jack Lacey had a good game on Austin Gleeson. In the Currans, Gavin Crotty & Michael Kiely, they have scorers & Joe Allen (as Abbeyside will well know from 2 years ago) and Johnny Burke are well capable of a few scores. Abbeyside probably have the physical advantage and have good man markers to pick up Dungarvan's danger men as Prunty will probably pick up Patrick Curran and Darragh McGrath will possible go on Crotty but Looby is also well able to keep top class forwards quiet. In Ferncombe & Kiely in particular, Abbeyside are dangerous inside while Willie Beresford has chipped in with a few scores in his debut year while Michael O'Halloran and Montgomery have scores in them. Having seen both teams twice, I've been slightly more impressed by Dungarvan and I think they have more scores in their forward line and may get over the line.

Ballygunner should have too much for Fourmile who were very dependent on Jamie Barron last weekend to pull them through against Tallow, scoring 7 points including 4 in a row in the last quarter. Whether it's Paddy Leavy or Conor Sheehan, they should reduce the influence of Barron, although Ian Kenny has picked up Barron in the past and done an excellent job on him. There just isn't enough scores in the Fourmile forward line to threaten Ballygunner. I don't think Philip Mahony will play this weekend but such is the strength in depth of Ballygunner, that shouldn't be an issue. I expect a tough battle physically for the Gunners but them to be winners comfortably enough in the end.

I have seen Mount Sion twice and it was really was like watching 2 different teams. Against De La Salle, their forwards, in particular Alan Kirwan impressed me but the half backline of Penkert, O'Brien and Whelan were who impressed me the most. Last week, Whelan was missing and Perkert was moved around to man mark and the team failed to function properly. There is also a lot more in Austin Gleeson who hasn't been at his best yet. I haven't seen Passage so far this year so can't comment on them personally but they seemed to struggle over Clonea last weekend. I think Mount Sion, playing to their potential, can get over the line.

Another team I haven't seen is Roanmore. Usually Queally's teams and Roanmore in general bring a good work ethic so I'd expect the same. However I don't see who they will have to mark Maurice Shanahan who can be unmarkable on his day and punishes 90% of fouls from his own 45 out. I don't know if Iarlaith Daly will be fit but even so, I think Lismore will have too much for Roanmore.

Beo Sport are doing all games for €20 as well if people are interested or €5.99 each.

great post, hard to disagree with most of what you say. I was at the Ballygunner v abbeyside game and for most of the game the speed and intensity was way above what I'm used to seeing in the local club scene, I felt it was a very high standard and I believe abbeyside have the capability to reproduce that this weekend, and they will need to do so against dungarvan.

I watched the passage v clonea game and for large parts clonea were the better team, but apart from Billy power who was excellent, they lacked scoring forwards. passage on the other hand were fairly pedestrian for long periods of the game but were able to get scores when they needed them, Thomas Connors in particular delivered in this regard.

Passage would need to up their level considerably but they can do that, it's a hard one to call but if mount sion can get Aussie into the game more, he was largely out of the game and being moved all around the field against dungarvan, I think they will have too much for passage.

I'd fancy clonea to beat ballyduff upper in the relegation game, ballyduff were easily the poorest team I saw in the group games.

I see kevin Ryan tweeted that he had been appointed to lead the implementation of the Waterford GAA 10 year strategic plan ‘Waterford rising’ on a professional basis.

wont allow me post the link but Liam Cahill interview on WLR’s i lar na pairce yesterday evening

Fourmilewater gave them a great challenge and no doubt it will spur Ballygunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

level 10 times some going, dessie only had the one score what i can see on thw tweety, assuming bng go into the all ireland series great for them ot get tested and put to the sword remind them to keep thier game up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Are they slipping a bit?

level 10 times some going, dessie only had the one score what i can see on thw tweety, assuming bng go into the all ireland series great for them ot get tested and put to the sword remind them to keep thier game up

• Advertisement

https://www.wlrfm.com/sport/41-games-unbeaten-for-ballygunner-210061

Kevin Mahony (1-3), Peter Hogan (0-3) and full back Barry Coughlan were their top performers. Dessie Hutchinson hit three second half efforts after a tough battle with Thomas O’Gorman. Pauric Mahony started but his brother Philip was on crutches and will miss the rest of the season with a broken leg.

balls didnt see this reported before, as a distant cousin can confirm there is some genetic deficency in lower limbs (hips knees ankles) that affect the o'sullivan line shame it hasnt been bred out in the generation below me

Good win for Mount Sion and it sounded a great game. High scoring which is good to see

modeligo through to the Western Intermediate Final

Cracking game this evening in the Fraher field, roanmore beat lismore 4-14 to 4-13.

Another cracker of a QF

A little bit of a shock, Lismore once again not living up to the hype but Roanmore deserve some credit

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Great game of hurling. Lismore very naive at the back. Maurice and Jack Prendergast very quiet for Lismore. Gavin O'Brien brilliant for Roanmore. Carthach Daly and Ray Barry brilliant for Lismore. Barry with 3-1.

Wouldn't of expected Dungarvan to win by that much massive win for them and no doubt supporters will be buzzing, some high scores this weekend in the Senior championship.

Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Roanmore and Dungarvan the final 4 in the semi finals. I imagine Mount Sion cant play Dungarvan again

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭optiplex780

Ballygunner v Mount Sion

Dungarvan v Roanmore

Really excellent performance from dungarvan today, massive scoring from them again, the dungarvan Michael kiely scoring 3-2 and Patrick Curran 2-10. Really impressive win, they have now beaten DLS, mount sion and abbeyside by minimum margins of 7 points, they are the form team right now.

Semi finals on next weekend.

Ballygunner vs Dungarvan final I think but never know esp given some of the results in the QFs

I imagine they will be on the first weekend of October with the final the weekend after but no rush really given the Munster club championships are not due to start til 27th/28th November with the semis in December and finals not til 8th/9th Jan 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dunhill and ferrybank in Eastern Intermediate semi final after beating tramore and Erin's own today

Advertisement