Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Apart from Abbeyside, is that the other three teams 1st teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep think so

A bit of drama with the final table of Group 1 in the Western Intermediate championship. Top 3 teams finished level on 6pts with point difference deciding the Top 2 teams who advanced to the semi finals. An Rinn and Ballinameela advancing with Clashmore missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

a big win for Ballinameela indeed, winning by 10 to pip Clashmore by one point in scoring difference. I know there is a shortage of referees, but to appoint a Modeligo player as referee in a do or die game that directly impacts who they could face in a western semi is surely questionable. Puts the referee is a very dodgy position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dungarvan the form team in the county after Ballygunner, Abbeyside going well too..

Ballysaggart Dé lá Salle the game though, most would go to..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

That dls v ballysaggart game is fascinating, huge game for both clubs. This is a very tricky game for DLS, ballysaggart beat lismore the last day and led their other games in injury time but conceded late goals, they could have easily progressed from That group. All doesn't seem right with dls this season but they need to come together in a big way or they are in real danger of dropping down to intermediate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Are the quarter finals and relegation games on this weekend coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Fourmilewater vs Ballygunner 2pm Saturday 18th in Fraher

Passage vs Mount Sion 4:30pm Saturday 18th in Walsh Park

Lismore vs Roanmore 7:30pm Saturday 18th in Fraher

Dungarvan vs Abbeyside 2pm Sunday 19th in Fraher

Relegation Finals on the weekend of the 25th/26th of September then

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Seems odd to not have the Passage Mt Sion game in Walsh Park Sunday at 2 and then Dungarvan Abbeyside in Fraher at 5 or 6 and facilitate anyone who wanted to go see all 4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

I'd say this is the weakest intermediate semi finals from the west in a while.

Ballygunner beat in the east has opened up the whole intermediate grade. Dunhill the strongest team in the east while any of the 4 teams could win it up west.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Montys return

What happens if De La Salles Senior team is relegated and their Intermediate team wins the County? :D

• Advertisement

Watched an intermediate game yesterday. Standard was brutal.. What happened Ballyduff lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

agree, anyone who comes up from Intermediate this year will go straight back down. certain clubs (junior and intermediate) particularly in the City need to amalgamate in my opinion. same goes for teams up in the sticks up west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Or what happens if De La Salle are relegated from senior and not promoted from intermediate which seems likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I've always wondered would players from small junior clubs not prefer to join with another club or two and play at a higher level, and I don't mean those divisional teams, I mean a new club altogether.

For me, playing at a higher level would be more enjoyable than a notion of pride for your parish so to speak.

There is nothing stopping them from joining other clubs , but the club means alot to most players not what level they play at, your friends your family that's what a club is,

I know there's nothing stopping them from joining other clubs but that's somewhat taboo in GAA. Clubs amalgamating means people can still play for their club and area so to speak

• Advertisement

That is complete rubbish talk.. You play with your club through thick and thin.. I'd have more admiration for the likes of Prendergasts of Ardmore still slogging it out in their forties rather than as you say join with another club..

That's fine for the Prendergasts who had the outlet of intercounty level to play at a higher level but what about players who are not intercounty level but good enough for senior club. I'm assuming this is why divisional teams exist in other but they never worked in Waterford.

That's just my opinion but I played for a big club so had the best of both worlds, so to speak, of being able to play for my club and at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The reason why the Prendergast's are slogging it out still is basically because Ardmore cant do without them. If they were made amalgamate with Clashmore /Kinsale Beg they would be playing Senior hurling and it would benefit the West division at underage level and Waterford hurling in it's totality. It makes Waterford hurling at the highest level stronger and more competitive.

As for others, there is no reason why a club like St Paul's should be operating within the City. They should be made join up with St Saviour's or maybe Roanmore. Erin's Own , Ferrybank and St Saviour's are another prime example. All haven't played Senior Hurling since the 80 / 90's. About 20 years ago Erin's Own and Saviour's amalgamated at underage level for a few seasons, I believe they won a Minor and Under 21 B championship. Erin's Own and Ferrybank amalgamated about 6/7 years ago and did very well again.

This playing for your local area / parish / club thing is typical pure GAA horse ****. Players want to play at the highest level and if that means 6 from one club and 9 from another club are playing A underage hurling instead of slogging it out in a B or C division and basically making up numbers then that's the way it has to be to drive on Waterford underage and adult hurling.

Most of these clubs are amalgamated at underage level already so why not just extend that to the adult. Players coming through won't notice a difference.

Lismore/Ballysaggart could have a great senior team if they joined up like they do at Minor level

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

You are from the club you are from and people speaking about the Prendergast's is irrelevant as they played senior hurling for their club and senior football and they have 2 County minor A football titles as well as a junior All-Ireland. You can be sure that these club titles mean as much if not more to those men as any Munster or National League title.

The likes of the Bennetts the same, they are driving their club's standards up and I'm sure they take great pride in it. In Waterford, in recent years, we have had plenty of players from junior and intermediate clubs who have excelled for the county: Callum Lyons, Brick Walsh, Tadhg de Burca, Shane Fives, Darragh Fives, Colin Dunford, Tom Devine etc Those lads playing intermediate hurling certainly hasn't damaged their intercounty careers but I do accept the development squads and schools systems has helped their development.

The talk of the like of St Pat's, Cois Bríd, St Mary's, Cappoquin-Tourin, St Carthages etc playing adult together is unrealistic. These underage players grow up to represent their clubs with pride at adult level as seen at the weekend when Ballysaggart took great pride in beating their former teammates in Lismore. If junior/intermediate clubs were to amalgamate, the respective championships would be impossible to complete as the senior matches would class with their own club matches. It's grand in Kerry where they play it off when the senior club championship, intermediate and junior championships are over and they have very few dual clubs. I couldn't see it working in Waterford.

I mean permanently joining, to form a new club. The divisional team idea doesn't work in Waterford. And I'm not really talking about junior or intermediate players not being able to to play intercounty. It's the players that aren't quite good enough to play intercounty that would get exposed to a higher level. Having played both junior and senior, albeit via a second team and then a first team, it so much more enjoyable to play at a higher level. That's how I think I would feel if I was a player for a junior club

• Advertisement

I'm amazed how so many clubs can Field so many teams

Wouldn't have a clue where the likes of Ballydurn, Ballinameela,Tourin, Geraldine's etc are situated or if there towns

Advertisement