Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We had this model before, right? Or am I going insane?

Sky with FTA picking up whatever they don't cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The rumour was that S4C would still have matches. If that is the case TG4 will probably continue to have games too.

Sky will probably only show 2 or 3 games per week.

Back to the bad old days of Connacht matches being shown once a month, usually when they're playing an interpro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Bazzo wrote: »
    Back to the bad old days of Connacht matches being shown once a month, usually when they're playing an interpro...

Every cloud

:D

OldRio wrote: »
    And Sky are different?

At least with Sky if I subscribe to Sky Sports I can be sure I'll get to watch all of Sky Sports' content!

And Sky Sports is a bit more expensive than Eir but without about 10 times the content. Far better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The rumour was that S4C would still have matches. If that is the case TG4 will probably continue to have games too.

Sky will probably only show 2 or 3 games per week.

No matter what happens, I think Irish fans are about to realise quite how good the current setup is.

Liam Toland notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.eirsport.ie/

It's amazing what little content they have. Advertising GOLD content as if it's worth anything takes some cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No matter what happens, I think Irish fans are about to realise quite how good the current setup is.

I fear this too tbh. Unless Sky are able to spread matches over 3 channels as Premier Sports do (Freesports as well as PS) I think we'll get only a few matches live. Remember with 16 teams there will now be more matches every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's not good at all, in any way. Eir wasn't available at all on Virgin Media for a significant time (pre-spat) so rugby viewers were locked out of the Pro14 regardless of how much they were willing to spend unless they switched television provider. And those who didn't have broadband with eir were further locked out.

We're talking about Sky showing at most, eight games a week somewhere over their ten channels, some of which are general channels.

Sky have the power to ensure that scheduling works to their schedule if the money is right.

It's not good at all, in any way. Eir wasn't available at all on Virgin Media for a significant time (pre-spat) so rugby viewers were locked out of the Pro14 regardless of how much they were willing to spend unless they switched television provider. And those who didn't have broadband with eir were further locked out.

We're talking about Sky showing at most, eight games a week somewhere over their ten channels, some of which are general channels.

Sky have the power to ensure that scheduling works to their schedule if the money is right.

Only way you will get 8 separate slots over a weekend is 2 on a Friday night or at least one on a Monday night. Possible with S.African teams being on board to have 2 on a Friday night with a S.African team being at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I think Bowe, Stringer and Darcy are a great combination.

Great analysis and a bit of genuine chemistry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On the flip side, they have every provincial game live and hundreds of thousands of people get Eir Sport for no extra cost - even more will do so if they get the Virgin deal back on track - plus selected games live on TG4, with deferred coverage or highlights for the remainder.

While Eir isn't perfect, whatever deal replaces it will see fewer live games going to fewer people at greater cost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Every cloud

:D

Would you like your 6 month ban upgraded to lifetime with a free subscription to eir?

https://www.eirsport.ie/

It's amazing what little content they have. Advertising GOLD content as if it's worth anything takes some cheek.

It's so bad it drove my 77yo uncle to forego a lifetime of law-abiding tv-licence-paying
    conformity and become an expert on vpns and dodgy streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I hope the kicks offs are staggered going forward.
    Too many games start at the same time.
    Hopefully some of the S African games will start earlier. A lot of their games tend to start in the afternoon with few night games so we might get to see more games.

On the flip side, they have every provincial game live and hundreds of thousands of people get Eir Sport for no extra cost - even more will do so if they get the Virgin deal back on track - plus selected games live on TG4, with deferred coverage or highlights for the remainder.

While Eir isn't perfect, whatever deal replaces it will see fewer live games going to fewer people at greater cost.

I doubt this.

Sky + FTA will likely see a viewership bump.

In the UK it is likely to be many, many multiples higher. I believe viewing figures on Premier Sports have been pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

What is Premier Sports Subscriber Numbers like in Ireland

roadmaster wrote: »
    What is Premier Sports Subscriber Numbers like in Ireland

You get it for free with Sky Sports Extra (i.e. BT Sport).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

awec wrote: »
    You get it for free with Sky Sports Extra (i.e. BT Sport).
    Or rather you get it as part of the €34 per month Sky Sports Extra package along with BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

awec wrote: »
    I doubt this.

Sky + FTA will likely see a viewership bump.

In the UK it is likely to be many, many multiples higher. I believe viewing figures on Premier Sports have been pitiful.

Yeah i was thinking going to Sky will be much better for viewing figures. Especially casual viewers in GB. I've started watching more of the Prem Rugby as I have BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement

Risking contradicting myself but Sky could spread Pro 16 matches over the weekend the way they used to with the then Heineken Cup.
    With S. African teams participating you could have 2 Friday evening KOs with earlier one in S.Africa c5.00pm UK/Irish time and then a later KO c7.35pm as at present in UK/Irish time.
    3 staggered matches on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. This would ensure all matches are covered live. Also only 1 channel would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

tenor.gif

Top seed baby!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Top seed baby!

tumblr_lz9qcqIn2W1r9prsfo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I read online a couple of days ago that Dublin or London may be the base for the 4 S African sides with all the teams in the same hotel.
    They will quarantine when they come in and then you have to hope there will be no cases in that time.

I would say London is the likeliest given they are further ahead with their vaccinations plus connections would be easier.

PMC83 wrote: »

Feel sorry for the eir sports staff but the station was so poorly managed it was a matter of time.

Hopefully it ends up with Sky with some FTA games on the side. Will be delighted to see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst Eir was a very poor product, I think we're going to realise how good we had it as provincial fans with them on board. Almost every Pro14 game was televised including plenty not even involving the provinces.

If Sky come on board, there's a very decent chance that we'll have a handful of games for each province not televised each season just as it used be when they were previously involved. It's going to heavily rely on TG4 to pick up the slack again (hopefully). But I think it's quite unlikely we'll be seeing games like a province playing away in Italy line too regularly as well as the odd game in Wales/Scotland.

Buer wrote: »
    Whilst Eir was a very poor product, I think we're going to realise how good we had it as provincial fans with them on board. Almost every Pro14 game was televised including plenty not even involving the provinces.

If Sky come on board, there's a very decent chance that we'll have a handful of games for each province not televised each season just as it used be when they were previously involved. It's going to heavily rely on TG4 to pick up the slack again (hopefully). But I think it's quite unlikely we'll be seeing games like a province playing away in Italy line too regularly as well as the odd game in Wales/Scotland.

They didn't serve Virgin Media at all for a long period (and then another period where they decided not to pay their bills) so it may have been a good deal for SOME provincial fans but it was appalling/non-existent for others. To entirely shut out one of the largest television providers in the country is not good business. So some didn't have it good at all.

At least if it's on Sky, the package will be available to every one at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They didn't serve Virgin Media at all for a long period (and then another period where they decided not to pay their bills) so it may have been a good deal for SOME provincial fans but it was appalling/non-existent for others. To entirely shut out one of the largest television providers in the country is not good business. So some didn't have it good at all.

At least if it's on Sky, the package will be available to every one at least.

Yep. As I was in my contract period with VM I had no legal way to watch most league games. Good riddance.

Advertisement