Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Premier was a mistake going with such an obscure provider, it seems like they’ve learnt their lesson on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bollix. I've just changed to virgin and declined the introductory offer of an extra 20 quid per month for sky sports and a 49" 4k TV. Might ring them tomorrow and see if I can wrangle something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Bazzo wrote: »
    Bollix. I've just changed to virgin and declined the introductory offer of an extra 20 quid per month for sky sports and a 49" 4k TV. Might ring them tomorrow and see if I can wrangle something...

Change of mind is 14 day's, no issues doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Find a friend to split the cost of NowTV. They have offers all the time. It's not too bad.

Currently have BT through NowTV on a 17pm deal. Normally would just get it in for the months that have European Rugby

Would need sky for 9months of the year even on a deal still going to be ~€150+

• Advertisement

Change of mind is 14 day's, no issues doing it.

Too bad it was about 3 weeks ago, I set it up just over a month before my current contract ended :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'll be glad to see the back of Eir anyways their coverage is absolutely shíte, as is their mobile app/web player and I feel bad for anyone who had to actually pay for it other than those who got it free with their BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'll be glad to see the back of Eir anyways their coverage is absolutely shíte, as is their mobile app/web player and I feel bad for anyone who had to actually pay for it other than those who got it free with their BB.

Agreed. I found Eir sports cråp with the Pro14 the only viable product on it. Wishful thinking but hopefully if it ends up on Sky and if the 6N does go behind a pay wall, it's on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would be delighted to have it on Sky, Eir is a **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Eir Sport must be on the verge of being wound up. There's feck all (regular) live sport on it when you take out the Pro14.

• Advertisement

Eir Sport must be on the verge of being wound up. There's feck all (regular) live sport on it when you take out the Pro14.

They advertise "classic" International football games quite heavily which just shows the lack of depth in choice/live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They advertise "classic" International football games quite heavily which just shows the lack of depth in choice/live action.

There's no market in that anymore surely. Half of those are on Youtube.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They have the Saturday night GAA Allianz League games which is attractive but only lasts two months and is all but cancelled this year due to Covid. And FA Cup 3pms and some other non U.K. TV fixtures. Most of the rest of what they have (The Masters, Wimbledon, Rolland Garros) is non exclusive. They appear to have lost the League of Ireland. I suspect that if they have indeed lost the Pro14 and if a good offer is made they will sell the whole lot back to Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess it's probably some time this week that kick off will be confirmed for the final?

It can't be played at the Aviva I think?
    Any chance of Thomond being selected over the RDS... just because I think the camera work is better there. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bazzo wrote: »
    Too bad it was about 3 weeks ago, I set it up just over a month before my current contract ended :pac:

Did you just cancel the old contract and setup a new contract? I considered the same as mine just got bumped up to 89 (form 55). When I phoned up, they said best they could do is 74. While the same offer for new Customers seems to be 62. Ridiculous, really, just p*ssing off your existing customers...

Haven't changed anything yet, as I dunno what to do now with this Sky deal... any suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Agreed. I found Eir sports cråp with the Pro14 the only viable product on it. Wishful thinking but hopefully if it ends up on Sky and if the 6N does go behind a pay wall, it's on Sky.

The Pro14 and the Masters were the only things I watched on eir. Got the app free with my phone contract (or paid for it as part of my phone contract depending on how you look at it). I thought the Pro14 coverage had improved a lot considering the product. It was the first broadcaster to have a one stop shop for all the games - remember the **** show before where you had to have S4C, BBC Alba et al? The Pro14 hour was actually a pretty good highlights show with good analysis from Murray Kinsella. I think they did a lot well with a tiny budget. I don't have Sky and don't really want to pay for it so I don't consider this good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I'd be amazed if they survived losing the Pro14. All the advertising on eir is for.... eir!

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I remember when they first got it they promised "every game live". Turned out to be bullshit.

Then they made changes so that of the games they did show live you could only actually be sure you would be able to watch them if you had Eir TV. Eir Sports subscribers on other platforms like Sky, paying 30 quid for the privilege, were given 1 of 2 channels. If the game was on the second channel tough luck.

Good riddance to this crowd of absolute chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

awec wrote: »

Good riddance to this crowd of absolute chancers.

And Sky are different?

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Did you just cancel the old contract and setup a new contract? I considered the same as mine just got bumped up to 89 (form 55). When I phoned up, they said best they could do is 74. While the same offer for new Customers seems to be 62. Ridiculous, really, just p*ssing off your existing customers...

Haven't changed anything yet, as I dunno what to do now with this Sky deal... any suggestions welcome!

Nah, I was with BT(who are absolutely ****e) so I'm a new customer. Think you have to have left them for 3 months or something before you can be considered a new customer?

Got on web chat today and they let me alter to the £65/month package that includes sky sports. No free 4K TV though despite my attempted wrangling as the offer has ended now :pac:

They tried to charge me £74 per month but when I asked them if I was within my rights to cancel the whole deal they said they'd give it to me at the £65.

An extra £16/month for sky sports is not bad at all. And I also have BT sport and Amazon prime(UK) so should be well covered for any sport

If you have eir broadband it was a lovely free extra, so if they do lose the games I'll miss them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

If you have eir broadband it was a lovely fee extra, so if they do lose the games I'll miss them

Agreed. I'm with Eir and could watch all the matches. I'd have to pay sky for the basic package (Which I do not require as I use freesat) and then pay for the Sports and Sports extra to watch the Rugby) Bollox to that.

I'll use my 'alternative' means to watch the rugby.

OldRio wrote: »
    And Sky are different?

At least if Sky promise to show all Pro14 games to all subscribers, they won't squirrel away the games out of reach of a huge chunk of subscribers. Sure, it might be on some weird Sky channel but if you have the Sports package, you'll get it.

For a channel that shows sweet fúck all, they advertised the hell of out having "every Pro14 game live"; one of their only USPs and then proceeded to fudge the hell out of it.

I had eir through Virgin Media last year and even before they had their lovers tiff, not all the games were on eir Sports despite them advertising that by having eir Sports, I'd be able to see all games.

I like Tommy Bowe and I like the program they present (relative to what it is a league that can't maintain stable participants rather than the World Cup) but I feel Sky would do a better job on the production side - and hopefully they keep the team in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

OldRio wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm with Eir and could watch all the matches. I'd have to pay sky for the basic package (Which I do not require as I use freesat) and then pay for the Sports and Sports extra to watch the Rugby) Bollox to that.

I'll use my 'alternative' means to watch the rugby.
    Use Now TV. No need for the basic Sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

At least if Sky promise to show all Pro14 games to all subscribers, they won't squirrel away the games out of reach of a huge chunk of subscribers. Sure, it might be on some weird Sky channel but if you have the Sports package, you'll get it.

For a channel that shows sweet fúck all, they advertised the hell of out having "every Pro14 game live"; one of their only USPs and then proceeded to fudge the hell out of it.

I had eir through Virgin Media last year and even before they had their lovers tiff, not all the games were on eir Sports despite them advertising that by having eir Sports, I'd be able to see all games.

I like Tommy Bowe and I like the program they present (relative to what it is a league that can't maintain stable participants rather than the World Cup) but I feel Sky would do a better job on the production side - and hopefully they keep the team in place.

What channel can Sky put Pro 16 rugby on apart from a dedicated rugby channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mix and Arena probably

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky Sports Action, Arena, and Mix are their general sports channels, although Action is now semi-dedicated to NFL (and solely dedicated during the NFL season), while Mix is basic cable (not premium) and so tends to be neglected (though GAA was shown on it last summer and rugby league tends to end up there a lot too these days).

For me, I’d be taking Sky Sports and BT/Premier anyway. The Pro14 being on eir effectively ties you to eir broadband (well, unless you want to pay the ridiculous standalone sub price) and limits your switching options. Although you also get eir Sport 1 with Vodafone TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Sky pick up the Pro 16 plus the 6Ns, as well as having the Lions Tour they may not that far away from a dedicated Rugby channel anyway. Obviously the Lions is only every 4 years and the 6Ns is only good for 8 weeks, so they'd need more. If they are serious about a Rugby channel they could probably pick up the likes of the Top 14, the Japanese League and SH rugby cheap enough, plus they have plenty of classic matches to show in their back catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The rumour was that S4C would still have matches. If that is the case TG4 will probably continue to have games too.

Sky will probably only show 2 or 3 games per week.

Advertisement