Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PT expectations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mellor wrote: »
    Or sure you are talking about tbh.

That quote from reps backs up what I said btw. You can’t give Prescriptive nutritional advice. A dietitian should.
    General advice is not the same as prescriptive advice. PTs should keep that in mind.
    we are not allowed to..
    develop bespoke individualised nutrition plans for clients.”

also....

It doesn't back up what you say at all. Quite the opposite. We are not allowed to develop nutrition plans for clients it says so quite clearly.

And there are some clients who want trainers to be everything to them. Counselor, motivational speaker, nutritionist, trainer etc. Its not our job. It takes enough time to put together work out plans let alone nutrition plans. They can get someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

also....

It doesn't back up what you say at all. Quite the opposite. We are not allowed to develop nutrition plans for clients it says so quite clearly.

It’s says not to gives prescriptive advice or bespoke individual plans. Which is what I said above, they are not to give specific advice.

Prescriptive/specific advice and general advice are different things. If somebody doesn’t know the difference, they best avoid all to be safe.

It’s says not to gives prescriptive advice or bespoke individual plans. Which is what I said above, they are not to give specific advice.

Prescriptive/specific advice and general advice are different things. If somebody doesn’t know the difference, they best avoid all to be safe.

You are not allowed give any diet plan to someone. That is what it means.

General advice is this ...don't eat junk...don't eat too much..don't eat too little ..drink water..five portions of fruit and veg..diet should be 60% carbs 30 % fat and 10% protein. Here is the Food pyramid. There ...done.

Its the kind of advice most pts dont actually believe in. Probably most people here don't believe in the food pyramid. But well if you stray from it. You have given someone bespoke advice.

Anytime you say ..up your protein ..that is prescriptive and bespoke and goes against general health advice given by the govt.

You are also specifically not allowed to advise calorie restriction. You have to advise every woman to eat 2000 calories a day. You can't advise the omission or restriction of certain food groups etc.

You can't write out a plan.

The client just has to remember your advice and figure out how to implement it. If you can implement such vague advice.

that kind of advice ..isn't going to work for most people.

There is a huge move away from PT's giving nutritional advice because over the past few decades there has been atkins ..paleo etc And dieticians and Drs have been complaining. Lawsuits have been taken.

As a PT nutritional advice isn't a service im interested in providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

General advice is this ...don't eat junk...don't eat too much..don't eat too little ..drink water..five portions of fruit and veg..diet should be 60% carbs 30 % fat and 10% protein. Here is the Food pyramid. There ...done.

General advice can be a lot better than that

General advice can be a lot better than that

Maybe. It can definitely include more waffle.

But you can't advise them to use calorie restriction.Women have the recommended 2000 calories etc. You can't stray from the food pyramid and you can't stray from the recommended ratio of carbs protein etc.

Most people would prob not agree with the above advice here. But that is your limitations.

You are not allowed recommend fad or celeb diets. Its very specific. The guidelines are longer than that one sentence i gave you. I have them printed out somewhere.

The advice dieticians give to the general population ..is the advice you have to adhere to.
    If somebody doesn’t know the difference, they best avoid all to be safe.

You have a tendency to think people around you are not as smart as you. Its not accurate.

People know good lawyers can 'muddy ' the difference.

Im just after hearing of a gym that had to settle because a guy knocked his own teeth out when he balanced a bar bell against the wall and it feel smacking him the in face.

Its VERY easy to bring a lawsuit in Ireland. No one wants the hassle. Even if they have done everything right.

Anyway giving nutritional advice ..it simply doesn't interest a lot of PTs. They don't want to offer the service. Its not something I do. People can find a PT that is prepared to.

• Advertisement

There's no maybe.

You can give general advice that's a lot better.

You don't have to reference fad diets or advise someone to put a bar on an unsafe perch. Just give good general advice, without crossing line into being prescriptive.

Not wanting to is separate and thats fine.

There's no maybe.

You can give general advice that's a lot better.

You don't have to reference fad diets or advise someone to put a bar on an unsafe perch. Just give good general advice, without crossing line into being prescriptive.

Not wanting to is separate and thats fine.
    Fair enough. Obv im just writing a post on a forum in my free time.;)

Fair enough. Obv im just writing a post on a forum in my free time.;)

Its something I had to do for a client in my own field some years ago. Prescriptive advice would potentially have led to legal issues. But you can give plenty of helpful detail to someone who is asking for help while still giving advice that would be classed as 'general'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The advice dieticians give to the general population ..is the advice you have to adhere to.
    5 tp different dietitions and they could give different advice to the general population. It's all counts as general.

Go into any bookshop and there are dozens of health/fitness based cookbooks. Some are by dietitians, some aren't. Many former celebrity PT types have books. They don;t get sued as the advice is general.

If you don't want to offer the service, that's fine.
    Its something I had to do for a client in my own field some years ago. Prescriptive advice would potentially have led to legal issues. But you can give plenty of helpful detail to someone who is asking for help while still giving advice that would be classed as 'general'.
    Exactly.
    It's really common in any number of fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

5 tp different dietitions and they could give different advice to the general population. It's all counts as general.

Go into any bookshop and there are dozens of health/fitness based cookbooks. Some are by dietitians, some aren't. Many former celebrity PT types have books. They don;t get sued as the advice is general.

If you don't want to offer the service, that's fine.

Exactly.
    It's really common in any number of fields.

I think what she is saying is that if you advertise yourself as a registered pt and then give advice that is outside your scope of professional practice you are exposed to legal repercussions.

Very sensible advice and we would all be wise to adhere to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ella281

Hi all. So, I’m not happy with the PT.
    Absolutely no follow up or communication to organise or confirm sessions despite having contact details.
    No direction with a plan and no talk about same.

Ive paid in full already. Disaster!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Ella281 wrote: »
    Absolutely no follow up or communication to organise or confirm sessions despite having contact details.

Just send a nice message asking to arrange times. See what happens...

Ella281 wrote: »

This spells unprofessional.

Advertisement