Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

robinph wrote: »
    Are you claiming that this is therfore proof of a conspiracy then? If so then what is the conspiracy and why? What was their plan for July rather than June or August? Is there something significant about July that we are missing?

Or did someone just make a guess, much like the government roadmap was doing when published in February?

Going by what the inside source said, it appears to be the case that it was agreed upon in December or January that there would be no significant easing of restrictions until July. The data SAGE used to justify the delay was out of date: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9695919/SAGEs-frightening-Covid-death-estimates-reduced-tens-thousands.html

Why July was chosen, I don't know. And why SAGE used out of date data, I don't know.

And even after the 19th of July restrictions look set to continue: https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/facemasks-quarantine-working-home-continue-20830348

Do you think the delay was justified based on the data?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    He doesn't have any "inside source", it's all horse****, he just watches the news like anyone else, makes predictions and conspiracy theorists are bamboozled by it. Alex Jones made a living out of it.

Do you count all his wrong predictions or let me guess, those get ignored

And what's the conspiracy?

I can't recall any predictions that were wrong. He also said that Johnson would put the country in lockdown on the 4th of January: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/521179-boris-lauding-lockdowns-another-october/. And that's what happened.

I have no reason to believe that he doesn't have an inside source. It's not unusual for journalists to have inside sources.

What the thread title says, i.e. that measures will be permanent. Masks, some form of social distancing, testing, self-isolating: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/covid-professor-claims-social-distancing-should-remain-forever-

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/facemasks-quarantine-working-home-continue-20830348

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not vaguely right. Was spot on. His inside source told him back in January that there would be no significant easing until July.

But there was significant easing, pubs are open, restaurants and cafes are open, I'm going for a meal and onto a comedy club on Saturday night, I couldn't do that in January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Going by what the inside source said, it appears to be the case that it was agreed upon in December or January that there would be no significant easing of restrictions until July. The data SAGE used to justify the delay was out of date: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9695919/SAGEs-frightening-Covid-death-estimates-reduced-tens-thousands.html

Why July was chosen, I don't know. And why SAGE used out of date data, I don't know.

And even after the 19th of July restrictions look set to continue: https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/facemasks-quarantine-working-home-continue-20830348

Do you think the delay was justified based on the data?

So if the plan had always been July then why had they been talking about the end of the June for the last 6 months? Did they think telling us back in February that there would be a revolt if they had said July, so they picked June and had always planned to change their mind at the last minute?

What would they have done if the Delta variant hadn't appeared in April? Would your Mystic Meg have been claiming to have predicted things correctly as the end of June is virtually July anyway?

There is nothing amazing about someone having made a prediction 6 months ago that there would still be restrictions. There is no conspiracy about them having guessed right so therefore the government must be up to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gortanna wrote: »

Why is this twitter guy making these predictions, what's really going on according to him?

Thousands of posts containing countless claims that have turned out to be complete drivel, and here you are still clinging to this stuff, why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But there was significant easing, pubs are open, restaurants and cafes are open, I'm going for a meal and onto a comedy club on Saturday night, I couldn't do that in January.

Everything is open, just we can't go clubbing.

So same as the last 20 years for me. :)

There has been easing, but significant easing would be scrapping masks and social distancing, testing in schools. Basically a return to life as it was in February 2020.

There has been easing, but significant easing would be scrapping masks and social distancing, testing in schools. Basically a return to life as it was in February 2020.

Of all the restrictions over the last year and a half about the only thing still remaining is that nightclubs aren't open and your meant to wear a mask in shops and on public transport. Everything else, everything, is back open.

Shops are open, gyms are open, workplaces are open, pubs are open, schools are open, sports stadiums are open... But for you the most significant restriction is wearing of a mask in Tesco?

You may need a dictionary to check what the word "significant" means.

Everything is open, just we can't go clubbing.

So same as the last 20 years for me. :)

Same here, if I'm in a nite club it's because I took a wrong turn :pac:

No, opening business is a significant easing, wearing masks while in a shop and keeping two meters apart is a minor inconvenience.

• Advertisement

Of all the restrictions over the last year and a half about the only thing still remaining is that nightclubs aren't open and your meant to wear a mask in shops and on public transport. Everything else, everything, is back open.

Shops are open, gyms are open, workplaces are open, pubs are open, schools are open, sports stadiums are open... But for you the most significant restriction is wearing of a mask in Tesco?

You may need a dictionary to check what the word "significant" means.

Social distancing is a huge restrictions. Lots of businesses can't operate properly because of it.

And masks are a huge restriction for a lot of people as well. They put people off doing things and cause lots of activities to be unpleasant.

Do you think the delaying was justified? We know that the data used by SAGE was out of date.

Social distancing is a huge restrictions. Lots of businesses can't operate properly because of it.

And masks are a huge restriction for a lot of people as well. They put people off doing things and cause lots of activities to be unpleasant.

Do you think the delaying was justified? We know that the data used by SAGE was out of date.

Back up there lad.

Let's get to the bottom of what the significance of July is first. Why is it special that your source picked July? What is the purpose of delaying nightclubs being opened until July? Was there something about limiting numbers at weddings to only 30 people which could only be permitted after June as part of the master plan? Did your source know that wedding limits would be lifted in June but nightclubs would be closed until July?

Back up there lad.

Let's get to the bottom of what the significance of July is first. Why is it special that your source picked July? What is the purpose of delaying nightclubs being opened until July? Was there something about limiting numbers at weddings to only 30 people which could only be permitted after June as part of the master plan? Did your source know that wedding limits would be lifted in June but nightclubs would be closed until July?

Not my source. Neil Clark's.

Not my source. Neil Clark's.

And what is the significance of July?

They are delaying on lifting certain restrictions because cases are rising rapidly and the variants. This is not a surprise to anyone.

Do you have some alternative explanation, if no, then what's your point?

They are delaying on lifting certain restrictions because cases are rising rapidly and the variants. This is not a surprise to anyone.

Do you have some alternative explanation, if no, then what's your point?

Based on out of date data.

What variants? The vaccines work on all the variants.

The alternative is that the new normal is supposed to be permanent. As articulated by Professor Susan Michie: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/social-distancing-rules-could-needed-24295947

Permanent mask wearing and social distancing would certainly mean a different normal.

Every "there's something going on" poster on this thread has been virtually identical, they have no idea what that "something is" nor the slightest bit of interest in exploring it.

Like an amateur sleuth who wants to play sleuth but never find the answer.

And what is the significance of July?

I already said I don't know. But the inside source said it wouldn't happen until July and that's exactly what's happened. But the source is being dismissed even though they were spot on.

Based on out of date data.

What variants? The vaccines work on all the variants.

New variants are up to 60% more transmissible, meaning that they are a key contributing factor to the rise of cases.
    The alternative is that the new normal is supposed to be permanent.
    Permanent mask wearing and social distancing would certainly mean a different normal.

WHY?

New variants are up to 60% more transmissible, meaning that they are a key contributing factor to the rise of cases.

WHY?

The fear was always that the obsession with cases would never end.

Would you agree that Covid is over in the UK?

Professor Michie explains why. She's a member of SAGE.

• Advertisement

Every "there's something going on" poster on this thread has been virtually identical, they have no idea what that "something is" nor the slightest bit of interest in exploring it.

Like an amateur sleuth who wants to play sleuth but never find the answer.

But accurate predictions, such as those of the inside source, are just ignored, dismissed and pooh-poohed.

The fear was always that the obsession with cases would never end.

Would you agree that Covid is over in the UK?

Professor Michie explains why. She's a member of SAGE.

Stop dodging. This is the crux of your entire argument.

Why do governments all over the world want people to wear face masks permanently?

Irish TDs wake up in the morning, all they can think of is making Irish people wear face coverings forever, and the reason is..?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But accurate predictions, such as those of the inside source, are just ignored, dismissed and pooh-poohed.

When conspiracy theorist spew out predictions constantly it's not a shock that some might get lucky.

How do you know there actually is an inside source and it isn't just a lucky guess?
    Who is the source and how are they getting their information?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

PintOfView wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible the doctors and nurses, etc., are not vaccinated at all?
    Do you think they're just trying to trick the rest of us into getting vaccinated?

Don't every under estimate the tin foil hatters and their tendancy for fantasy. I had some tool online claim my wife - a nurse in a large dublin hospital - was in fact a crisis actor during the height of the pandemic. She must be doing it for free, cos I ever say any lodgement in our joint account marked bill gates or george soros

I already said I don't know. But the inside source said it wouldn't happen until July and that's exactly what's happened. But the source is being dismissed even though they were spot on.

But until Monday that top source was wrong because restrictions were being lifted in June.

So what exactly has this source proved by sticking a pin in a calendar at the beginning of the year and getting lucky with their one in twelve chance of guessing correctly. Although it was really more of a one in four guess as the most likely time that a virus that thrives in the winter is likely to recede enough for restrictions to be lifted would be some time between May and August.

If I make a prediction that it will rain at some point over the next 6 months that doesn't make me a meteorologist or mean that I have inside information on what the weather gods are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Neil Clark's inside source was spot on: https://twitter.com/NeilClark66/status/1403410192289734663

Firstly, many conspiracy believing people made many predictions, and most got it wrong?
    Isn't it the law of averages that some will accidently get it right when guessing the future?

Also, you say "Neil Clark's inside source was spot on",
    as if someone 'inside' knew in advance of some predetermined plan!!

If you were asked in January what was likely to happen in the UK, what would you have said?
    You would have known the following:
    - The UK was likely to have a lot of people vaccinated by early summer
    - Covid transmission is less when the weather is good and buildings are better ventilated
    It wouldn't have taken a genius to predict an easing in June/July!!

He may as well have predicted that the weather will improve in July!!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Stop dodging. This is the crux of your entire argument.

Why do governments all over the world want people to wear face masks permanently?

Irish TDs wake up in the morning, all they can think of is making Irish people wear face coverings forever, and the reason is..?

Masks are so important to them because they are the visual reminder of the pandemic. We are not seeing excessive death,we are not seeing ambulances everywhere,the funeral homes are not overstretched,there are no mass graves for the dead. All we can see..... is the Mask

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

buzzerxx wrote: »
    Masks are so important to them because they are the visual reminder of the pandemic. We are not seeing excessive death,we are not seeing ambulances everywhere,the funeral homes are not overstretched,there are no mass graves for the dead. All we can see..... is the Mask

That didn’t answer one question in the post you quoted.

Gobbledygook

We wear masks to reduce the spread of an airborne virus that is still around, and spreads from droplets/aerosols produced from our mouth and nose.

Is there any reason our TD's want us to "wear masks forever"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

...and?

Why is the reminder of the pandemic so important?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement