Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borat 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I never realised how political Cohen is, utter ****e tbh. Ripping the piss out of Trump is gone stale at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

I know Cohen is a Jew but again in this one the Jews he try’s to take the piss out of couldn’t be nicer to him I felt so bad for the old Jewish couple in the last one they were so welcoming even with him being so rude and same this time the little old Jewish lady was unfazed by his rudeness .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

snickers wrote: »
    I know Cohen is a Jew but again in this one the Jews he try’s to take the piss out of couldn’t be nicer to him I felt so bad for the old Jewish couple in the last one they were so welcoming even with him being so rude and same this time the little old Jewish lady was unfazed by his rudeness .

She died shortly afterwards and the film is dedicated in her memory although apparently her family were unhappy about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Cohen’s attitude to comedy is Taboo subjects including racism are fair game. To be honest I can’t make my mind up as to whether or not he’s using razor sharp comedy to highlight social issues, or just a mercenary who’ll do anything for a cheap laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

theguzman wrote: »
    She died shortly afterwards and the film is dedicated in her memory although apparently her family were unhappy about the whole thing.

The family tried to sue but it turned out she knew exactly what was going to happen. SBC seemingly explained it all to get before they started filming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I never realised how political Cohen is, utter ****e tbh. Ripping the piss out of Trump is gone stale at this stage.

How could you not realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Wedwood wrote: »
    Cohen’s attitude to comedy is Taboo subjects including racism are fair game. To be honest I can’t make my mind up as to whether or not he’s using razor sharp comedy to highlight social issues, or just a mercenary who’ll do anything for a cheap laugh.

I think it's gone from something that was inherently good natured to something that's just mean.

No one came out of the early Ali G or Borat interview looking like an idiot, except for Ali G and Borat.

Now they're specifically targeting republicans and conservatives with the aim of ridiculing them.
    Well done, you found some rednecks who believe in QAnon. Well done, you got some governor to pull his pants down. It's less entertainment and more bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I turned it off after about 40 minutes.
    Loved the first one.
    May give this another go but the bit I saw was sh1te.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just watched it there. Quite disappointed. Some good moments in it. A few really awkward bits. At The ending of the movie though I actually felt glad I watched it. Worth the watch, but glad its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭briany

I thought it was pretty funny. Had some good moments. Impossible to top the first film, though, just due to sheer logistics. He couldn't actually *be* Borat throughout a good chunk of the film due to being recognised as such and his cover being blown, so him having to put on disguises felt really contrived, and it felt much more like Who is America but he's doing the Borat voice. And on the subject of the voice, Cohen didn't seem to commit as much to the accent and turns of phrase, and he sounded a good deal more natural in his English speaking. In my opinion, the voice is a big part of the character's comedy.

The actress they hired to play the daughter was excellent. She matched Cohen's comedy performance pretty easily.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty funny. Had some good moments. Impossible to top the first film, though, just due to sheer logistics. He couldn't actually *be* Borat throughout a good chunk of the film due to being recognised as such and his cover being blown, so him having to put on disguises felt really contrived, and it felt much more like Who is America but he's doing the Borat voice. And on the subject of the voice, Cohen didn't seem to commit as much to the accent and turns of phrase, and he sounded a good deal more natural in his English speaking. In my opinion, the voice is a big part of the character's comedy.

The actress they hired to play the daughter was excellent. She matched Cohen's comedy performance pretty easily.

Anyone notice how there was not one LGBT or Gay joke or laugh in the entire film whereas the first one had several, just shows how touchy and dour that entire category of people have become, being Gay now is really the opposite of the original word meaning.

theguzman wrote: »
    Anyone notice how there was not one LGBT or Gay joke or laugh in the entire film whereas the first one had several, just shows how touchy and dour that entire category of people have become, being Gay now is really the opposite of the original word meaning.

The focus is to ridicule republicans and conservatives, release timed just before the election.
    The movie, same with This is America, is a political stunt.

Imo it's the worst kind of political stunt. Ridiculing people won't change their minds. It was already tried with Trump 2016 and Brexit.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The focus is to ridicule republicans and conservatives, release timed just before the election.
    The movie, same with This is America, is a political stunt.

Imo it's the worst kind of political stunt. Ridiculing people won't change their minds. It was already tried with Trump 2016 and Brexit.

It usually has the exact opposite result and hardens those who are entrenched and turns moderates the other way. I have cousins in the US who expect a Trump win because no one will admit they will vote for Trump besides his fanatical supporters. In my cousins words why open yourself up for such abuse and just keep a low profile and vote for Trump, this guy says he thinks New York will carry for Trump, he is voting Democrat for Biden but says alot of his buddies and former Hillary and Obama supporters have switched to Trump. Time will tell but I think this movie may have the opposite effect of what it is intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How could you not realise that?

I guess I'm very slow on the uptake. I loved Borat found it refreshingly funny, Borat 2 just seems like a party political broadcast in behalf of the democrats.

I think it's gone from something that was inherently good natured to something that's just mean.

No one came out of the early Ali G or Borat interview looking like an idiot, except for Ali G and Borat.

Now they're specifically targeting republicans and conservatives with the aim of ridiculing them.
    Well done, you found some rednecks who believe in QAnon. Well done, you got some governor to pull his pants down. It's less entertainment and more bullying.

He didn't interview politicians in the first one? I think he did.

He didn't interview politicians in the first one? I think he did.

He did, but the tone was completely different. I don't think Borat or Ali G ever set out to publicly ridicule the people they interviewed. Even the Trump Ali G interview, Trump comes off well enough, the hilarity is putting Trump in such a weird situation (ice cream hands) not getting a supposedly underage girl into a hotel room with him.

I dunno, I watched this thinking "why are we laughing at this, why is no one calling the police?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm not even going to comment on the political aspect of this movie...

As a movie it was terrible, maybe a 1 or a 2 out of 10 for me...and I loved the first Borat movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I enjoyed it...

Not as good as the first film, but sequels very rarely are...

Anyone who watches this, should know the kind of stuff that they are in store for, so:

- if you dont like Borat, just don't watch it, simple!

- however, if you do like Borat, then sit back and enjoy the laughs.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

garrettod wrote: »

- however, if you do like Borat, then sit back and enjoy the laughs.

Very few and far between, and I like Borat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think the guy is a comedy genius and I really like him. But it's nothing but a Trump bashing thing conveniently released one week from the elections. I thought Guiliani interview with the supposedly 15 year old was cringy. Desperately trying to make something out of nothing. The way she touches his leg briefly, camera zoom - bingo, was actually shameful.
    If you leave that aside it was Borat reheated only with fewer laughs.

And I'm not a Trump fan btw. At all. Just thought it was bottom drawer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think the guy is a comedy genius and I really like him. But it's nothing but a Trump bashing thing conveniently released one week from the elections. I thought Guiliani interview with the supposedly 15 year old was cringy. Desperately trying to make something out of nothing. The way she touches his leg briefly, camera zoom - bingo, was actually shameful.
    If you leave that aside it was Borat reheated only with fewer laughs.

And I'm not a Trump fan btw. At all. Just thought it was bottom drawer...

I enjoyed it but can agree with all of the above. The Guliani thing was awful and frankly ridiculous. I have heard "15 years of age" repeated a few times around it. The actor is not 15, its just trying to sensationalise something where nothing happened.

Just as much ridiculous **** on both sides in America (and is this not classed as British interference on an election :-))

He did, but the tone was completely different. I don't think Borat or Ali G ever set out to publicly ridicule the people they interviewed. Even the Trump Ali G interview, Trump comes off well enough, the hilarity is putting Trump in such a weird situation (ice cream hands) not getting a supposedly underage girl into a hotel room with him.

I dunno, I watched this thinking "why are we laughing at this, why is no one calling the police?"

the Guiliani interview I agree. Maybe it just didnt work on the day for them but as they got usable footage, they kept it.

That and the dance I just cringed at. Was on par with a fart joke to me

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

I think Norm Mcdonald said that smart comedians don't go after Trump. It's the low hanging fruit. How true. Expected more from SBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hollyworth wrote: »
    I think Norm Mcdonald said that smart comedians don't go after Trump. It's the low hanging fruit. How true. Expected more from SBC.

Anyone who pisses off Trumpy and his followers is ok in my book.

Hollyworth wrote: »

AliG went after Trump, who had none of him. Walked out after 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

AliG went after Trump, who had none of him. Walked out after 30 seconds.

Think Trump's standing in the world was a bit different back then! He did deal with it well to be fair though.

So in a nutshell, we have a film thats as good as the original but not even a shadow of the original, crammed with laughs but not funny, a candidate for an Oscar and a Raspberry with a rating between 1/10 to 10/10

Comedy, really is very subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Going after Trump is not very original. It's lazy and groan inducing. This film was no different.

I don't like Trump, but where were all these comedians when Obama was dropping bombs at an unprecedented rate? It's like political comedy was in a coma for 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Pretty big poll via Reddit Movies with over 9,000 votes https://youpoll.me/45972/r

Most popular choice is 8 out of 10

Think I'll give at least the first 20 mins a try over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Maybe I'd have enjoyed it a bit more if I had known that some of the scenes that I just assumed were with actors were actually with real people. The babysitter and the two guys he stayed with in particular. Just seemed too crazy that they weren't in on it.

Advertisement