Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Borat 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Honestly reckon it works better in short form format - think it may have been sharper as a bunch of 20 minute episodes.

All of Cohens characters work best in short sketches, his tv sketches are by far his best work.
    Trying to stretch the format out to 90 minutes is a difficult feat .

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Loved the first movie. I often watch Borat/Bruno clips on YouTube and still find them funny. Watched this last night and it was pretty bad. I don't think I laughed once.

Borat is the funny character that I wanted to see - not his daughter (terrible character), or the people he was disguising himself as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its better than BRUNO , that was just cock waving jokes for ninety minutes

I was laughing re-watching bruno within first minute.

First few minutes of this were, rehashed jokes, then borat owns mickey mouse pyjamas ha, and his son changed his name to jeffrey epstein - how current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Massive fan of the first one but jesus this was awful muck, turned off after an hour. Most of it was very obviously staged and that's where the magic of the set up is lost, his antics on the unsuspecting public was where the biggest laughs came from, this was just a cash grab. Really disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really liked this I have to say, but you can't expect it to be a true sequel to the original Borat because it wouldn't work in the same format given how recognisable the character is.

Like, it's blatantly obviously mostly staged, but I'm OK with that. It works well as a comedy that feels somewhat true to the original given the filming style.

And there are a few real reactions/people involved that give it that Borat feel, like the dance scene at the Debutante Ball. Apparently those in attendance knew it would be featured in a movie, but had no idea in what context.

Was also obviously impacted by Covid - some scenes near the end involve terrible green-screening of characters onto real sets with real actors and obvious use of body doubles for close ups.

I dunno, overall, I found it funny and I'd take this over Bruno or The Dictator any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Awful. All the subtlety is out the window. SBC seems to have forgot how to do the voice. It sounded like someone doing an OK Borat impression.

A dud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Subtlety? Borat? The first film was about as subtle as m’The Running of the Jew’ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Subtlety? Borat? The first film was about as subtle as m’The Running of the Jew’ :pac:

Borat at the beginning was very subtle. He had an innocence about him. He was naive. A little face, or laugh he would give was all he needed. There was something genuine about him, as if he could be a real person, as mad as he was.

Now he's a full on caricature of himself. Played by an actor who has forgot how to be the character. Totally over the top and stagey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. Probably the most fun I've had watching the telly this year.

Agree, really really enjoyed it.

It's just fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Watched it as well earlier on today, funniest thing I've watched in a while.

Was a bit wtf looking at the interview near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really enjoyed the first one.

This.......

Couple of laughs, just didn't like it much.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

It's hard to know what's real and what isn't. How did they get so many cameras in the place he stayed with the two rednecks. I'd be interested in a behind-the-scenes type thing.

It's not hard to know, 95% of it was staged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

It's not hard to know, 95% of it was staged.

had to know - I was thinking most of the interactions with people - shop keepers, influencers, could be real or at least they agreed to an interview or be filmed without knowing what it was to be used for.

This article says mostly real, except for one interaction - who's relatives are suing him anyway.

https://decider.com/2020/10/23/is-borat-2-real-mike-pence-cpac/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Wasn't enjoying it too much - but thought the rally scene was very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Very poor and only got two laughs out of me, it was not funny like the original Borat, it was politically correct and they should have changed the title to Borat-Biden 2020. Only funny bit for me was when he ordered the fleshlight instead of a flashlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Very little actual borat in it, which is what we all wanted at the end of the day

Zardoz wrote: »
    Giuliani did nothing inappropriate in the film.
    Was a bit naive but was just trying to be polite.

Seriously? He went into a bedroom with a reporter and he was very handsy while he was at it. He then lay down on the bed and opened his trousers. Even if he was just tucking himself in, he was very clearly creeping.

To suggest that the legal adviser to the white house and former 9/11 mayor of new York could be this 'naive' is improbable

As for the movie itself, I thought it was very good. Not number 1 good but I think it's just a very high standard to try and reach again.

Apart from the daughter dance and jew scenes which I thought were just competent unfunny and wrong.

Also rewatched the original and the dictator with someone who had never seen them. Both of us found them hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seriously? He went into a bedroom with a reporter and he was very handsy while he was at it. He then lay down on the bed and opened his trousers. Even if he was just tucking himself in, he was very clearly creeping.

To suggest that the legal adviser to the white house and former 9/11 mayor of new York could be this 'naive' is improbable

Is this entertainment though?

I'm not entertained by watching Rudy Giuliani being creepy in the presence of an young girl.
    Same with most of "This is America". It's no more funny and entertaining than those "to Catch a Predator" videos.

I think back to Ali G and the early Borat stuff, which is "Lets put these weird characters in the presence of high profile people and see how they react".

Now its morphed into "Let's get these high profile people to incriminate themselves by putting them in highly suspect situations, then cutting and editing to present them in the worst light possible".

If that's the direction they want to go, then fair enough, but stop selling it as a comedy film with a bullsh*t story.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Is this entertainment though?

I'm not entertained by watching Rudy Giuliani being creepy in the presence of an young girl.
    Same with most of "This is America". It's no more funny and entertaining than those "to Catch a Predator" videos.

I think back to Ali G and the early Borat stuff, which is "Lets put these weird characters in the presence of high profile people and see how they react".

Now its morphed into "Let's get these high profile people to incriminate themselves by putting them in highly suspect situations, then cutting and editing to present them in the worst light possible".

If that's the direction they want to go, then fair enough, but stop selling it as a comedy film with a bullsh*t story.

I agree, I didnt find it funny either but it was at the end of the movie and about 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

I thought Bakalova was brilliant in this. She was nearly as good as cohen at setting up the reactions from the people. Wish I waited until lockdown blues kicked in before watching this, very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm a big fan of the original. This though, was a big thumbs down unfortunately. It just wasn't funny, barring a handful of laughs. Granted to recapture what they originally were able to with an unknown Borat, just isn't possible anymore...but the whole premise of this film just lacked something. It very much felt like a fictional comedy more akin to The Dictator...rather than "put these nut jobs alongside real people and let hilarity ensue".
    rtron wrote: »
    I thought Bakalova was brilliant in this. She was nearly as good as cohen at setting up the reactions from the people.

I'd agree with that, she more than held her own against Cohen (not easy I imagine!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Watched 10 minutes, wished I had turned it off after five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Watched 10 minutes, wished I had turned it off after five.

You missed comedy gold so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched it in two sections. The first hour was pretty terrible and I gave up on it. The last half an hour or so was better with the rally and the QAnon stuff but it is not a patch on the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would go as far to say the first one is in my top 3 comedies of all time so I have a certain bias to be fair. I enjoyed it as a whole - There were a half dozen or so good laughs in there and I agree that I thought the daughter was actually quite good.

Overall though its a far cry off the original but enough upsides that it can stand on its own. A solid if unspectacular 6/10 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I love most Sacha Baron Cohen's stuff. The first Borat was class.

This is awful. Not a single laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cringey most of the time. I’m not sure if that was me being “politically correct” (which I am not) but I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes at the dance scene.

It was enjoyable and seriously, you have to wonder WHY giuliani went into a bedroom with a young woman...optics for him are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok at best , I do not think Borat is the right character to be preaching and teaching lessons. It all feels a bit shoved down your throat at the end.

The performances were good all round , just a bit unfunny in large sections unfortunately. Maybe Covid didn't help I would imagine it hit them right in the middle of production making many segments near impossible to film that they may have planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

NSAman wrote: »

It was enjoyable and seriously, you have to wonder WHY giuliani went into a bedroom with a young woman...optics for him are terrible.

I reckon that could have been filmed at the very start before the sit down part. In a hotel room there is only a bed or two and small seating area usually.

Advertisement