Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is really very little difference in the restrictions between England, Scotland and Wales. Nothing that is likely to make any effect on cases, and the difference in regulation have only been for a couple of weeks anyway.

The differences are purely for political purposes and point scoring between the devolved governments against Westminster, which I have absolutely no problem with them going for scoring those points. There is no difference in practical terms of how the alternative restrictions effect the virus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Balance, your some spoofer, Sophie Corcoran gets all emotional and logic goes out the window..She opens with there was ZERO evidence for face masks in schools and goes on to say the"damage they have done to my generation has been unbelievable"....talking pure bull..gets pulled on it and then turns on the waterworks and drifts into blame deflection for some cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Who actually thinks they're doing something productive by wearing their mask in a shop? Today's the day I stop wearing mine. Was utter nonsense from the start and now it's insanity.

Just take them off and stop waiting for big daddy NPHET to dictate to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The virus doesn't care about your edgy world views or how much you hate the government/NPHET/etc, it just wants to spread. Wearing a mask reduces that spread. We've worn them for decades in operating theatres for that reason. Jesus christ.

Like I said, your some spoofer and a contsant with exageration and deflection in thread.

Your praised balance speaker said ZERO and you come back to me with inconclusive. Show me ZERO not inconclusive, cause can she, cuase she's spoofing.

And like I said, pot and kettle.

I didn't praise the lady in the clip. I said that there's balance in Britain, unlike in Ireland where there's no balance or opposition. Hence Varadkar being able to say, unchallenged, of course, that masks will either be a 'permanent rule' or a 'seasonal requirement' in Ireland: Domestic use of digital Covid certs unlikely after March, says Varadkar (irishexaminer.com):

"Mr Varadkar also suggested that the requirement on wearing masks in crowded public places could become a seasonal requirement rather than a permanent rule."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You go for it.

Worked out well for GemGem.

Post up a video if you can.

• Advertisement

For the 1000th time it's not about you.

I'm not concerned if I get Covid, but I am concerned if my at-risk family members get it. Especially from some little edge-lord or another who decides they don't want to wear a mask because they aren't able to fathom this isn't about them.

What are you gonna do in a few weeks when masks aren't gonna be required? You gonna be going full Karen on non mask wearers then too?

This isn't a recent thing, you've been droning on here with these anti-mask, anti-vax, microchip views for 2 years. Thankfully the vast majority of people don't share those same ignorant/selfish views. It's a health hazard and don't cut yourself on all that "edge".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

I haven’t been wearing them for a while, nobody cares or says anything. I don’t even get many weird looks. If you don’t like masks you should just not wear one

Wait for daddy to tell you what to do so.

Also I'm vaccinated and I've never said anything about microchips in the vaccine, that's just you foaming at the mouth lumping everyone together who doesn't agree with EVERYTHING about the pandemic.

Im so so sorry, it's over, back to reality now champ.

For balance sake.

The best way to stay safe from Covid in England? Don’t ditch the mask.

So how can you protect yourself when most people stop wearing masks? The best way is to wear a mask that is designed to protect the wearer: an FFP2 or FFP3 mask. These are available in pharmacies, supermarkets and online, but you may need to try a few to find one that fits the shape of your face. If you want to avoid exposing others to your exhaled breath, make sure you choose a valveless mask.

Although “disposable”, these masks can be reused until they break or become visibly unhygienic. I recommend using several in rotation, to allow them to “decontaminate” between uses. Masks with head straps will fit better and may last longer. Metal nose clips (as opposed to plastic ones) usually mould better to your nose, providing a closer fit – but unfortunately it can be hard to know before buying them which type of clip is used. While many industry-certified masks come as a standard size, smaller-sized masks are increasingly available.

Nondisposable masks (sometimes called elastomeric respirators, if they are made from rubber) are also available. While these may resemble gas masks, with external cartridges that hold the filters, manufacturers are now designing these for public use, with simple, replaceable FFP2 or FFP3 filters that slot into the plastic frame and look no more threatening than disposable high-efficiency masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll still be wearing mine going forward while in public. It won't affect my social life, because I deliberately don't have one anyway, the days of drinking and going to pubs/clubs were basically over before Covid, I'm not going to start up again.

And I really won't care if anyone else doesn't wear one, all I want is for ye to respect other peoples decisions to keep wearing them and not act the gowl around them. Keep your distance in queues and that's all I want. But of course, this won't happen, the selfish will bring it back to the way it was before Covid because they don't care about anyone else, excellently pointed out above by a few posters.

@User1998 The reason no one is saying anything to you anymore is people are sick of trying to deal with your type. Simple as that. You do you, ya legend.

If people still don't understand it at this stage, there's no point, no hope of turning that person into something more than selfish.

What? I’ve posted in this thread like 3 times maximum. I asked a genuine question today because I was interested on peoples stances, and I simply stated that I no longer wear a mask.

I will absolutely respect anyones decision to continue wearing a mask. I just don’t think it should be forced upon us anymore. Wouldn’t you agree?

Thank you for disproving my point about there being no balance in Ireland by linking to an article in an English newspaper.

And why do you push masks so much? Fair enough that you want to wear them, but you get very defensive whenever anyone questions them or criticises them.

There's no point in trying to discuss or debate them on here. This thread is almost identical to the covid forum thread equivalent of the conspiracy theories forum. It's dominated by 4 or 5 posters who will not tolerate any criticism or questioning of masks.

I agree with you for what it's worth. People can wear them forever for all I care, but they should also respect that a lot of people don't want to wear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

What’s the scientific rationale for keeping masks until February 28th when every other restriction will be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Their "benefit" all along has been based in behavioural science. They're a reminder that there's a pandemic. The rationale behind keeping them a while after other restrictions lift will be partly in case things go tits up and they need to impose restrictions again, which is easier from "we're still in a pandemic, check out the masks" than it is from "pandemic is over".

They will also ease the transition of the more paranoid hypochondriacs among us back into normality. Like a tiny soother blanket with ear loops.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh yeah, it's the behavioral science that is making me wear a mask. Nothing to do with 1 bout of sickness in 2 years compared to monthly chest infections. No, definitely the behavioral science.

And i've yet to see anyone forced to wear a mask. Not one person held down and a mask forced upon them. I've seen plenty of people wear masks in order to go places where it helps prevent the spread of a global pandemic virus due to health regulations, but never someone forced to wear it. Just like the anti-maskers were saying at the beginning, if you want to wear a mask to feel safe, stay at home. Well, if you want to not wear a mask while regulations are still in place, stay at home. Works both ways, no?

I've no problem with people that don't want to wear masks anymore, it's happening anyway so there's no point. I just know that once the masks are gone, people will automatically assume the distancing is gone, and everyone is completely ok with being on top of each other again. I never liked that, and I hate it even more now.

Both sides can work together, but it won't happen. Selfishness takes over, every time. Two years of proof behind us, plenty more to come. I don't think it's much to respect other peoples space, and yes, obviously I don't mean in clubs, and even pubs. I mean the other, non-alcohol based public places. Can't wait to have people standing in my back pocket in queues again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If there was anything illegal going on, isn't that a solicitor's job to sort out? And even at that, it's not their job to be going around policing mask wearing.

It's illegal to be going around pretending to be a solicitor, I don't know if she is pretending to be a solicitor but she's doing solicitor's work with her threats and that is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The distancing is gone regulation wise but I think most people will remain conscious of peoples personal space for some time longer.

The solution to masks is very simple, if you want to wear one then do it. If you don’t want to wear one then don’t.

My personal views on covid are vastly different to yours but I hope as adults we could both agree on that?

Saying that we are not being forced to wear a mask is absolutely ridiculous

Odd, I remember all sorts of strange conspiracy posts by yourself, easily looked up. Must be another Mega bro wolf so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Indeed, you only need to look at the legal requirement and potential of prosecution for not wearing one in retail, public transport etc

However, with any notion of social distancing and masks gone in pubs (as will be the case per the news overnight) it makes the idea that you can stand shoulder to shoulder until closing in a pub among total strangers and friends without one, but still have to stick it on to do the shopping the next day a complete farce. Then there's the lingering requirement for kids to continue wearing them in schools - a group statistically LEAST at any risk from Covid!

This needs to move rapidly to "advisory" or "recommended". Let people decide for themselves what they're comfortable with because I have a feeling they will anyway after a few days of normality everywhere else.

Plane has to turn around because someone refuses to put a mask on. Inconveniencing an entire planeload of other people because "the rules don't apply to me" shows the mentality of these individuals. In another incident one attacked an air hostess who simply asked her to put on a mask, and is facing up to 20 years for assault.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60080080

• Advertisement

Advertisement