Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

No masks and bar service last night in the pub I was in, great to see that once they are not longer a legal requirement, most people won't be wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Not really. An immucompromised individual before covid would already have been required to take additional precautions to stay safe. Restrictions were imposed to preserve the health service, not to lower risk for a small minority of people. With covid under control as a result of vaccination I see no reason to continue forcing people to wear masks, particularly as other restrictions are being lifted.

Are you suggesting that masks should be made permanent? I don’t mean to misrepresent you but there will always be some people at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And why should he? Or anyone? This pious woke argument is really getting old. Immunocompromised people are not idiots and they largely know what is bad for them and take necessary precautions. If they go out they take calculated risk and not just because of covid but every other virus or bacteria which may lurk outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

As you say, restrictions were imposed to protect the health service. Do you think we can handle restrictions lifted and covid and flu in hospitals?

• Advertisement

So why don't you answer my question that I asked you instead of jumping in on what I asked somebody else?

Do you honestly trust people when they say they aren't sick? So therefore they have no need to be wearing a mask?

I already gave an example of what someone's experience was. Felt tired one day, fine the next and continued on and then went exercising, and felt tired after that. And then tested positive the day after that.

Or what about the people who go about with "just a cold" but don't feel the need to go for a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Honestly, I don’t know. I think the government does which is why there are plans to lift restrictions over the next couple of months. I don’t think masks are going to be the deciding factor when compared with reopening gigs, theatres, clubs, etc. Masks at that point will be like trying to hold back the sea with a sand castle. I think they should be removed at the same time as other restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

More lies.

Even when people become symptomatically ill with Covid, they are most infectious in the 2 days before they start showing symptoms. Slightly less, but still strongly infectious in the first 2 days of symptoms.

People who remain unsymptomatic are exactly the same, most infectious for a 4 day period, around 7-10 days after becoming infected in the first place (which is when symptoms show in symptomatic people).

This is basic information that has been widely available, and is scientifically completely uncontested, for more than a year.

Making claims that contradict this is a malicious, a deliberate attempt to mislead others, against better knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

A wife of an Anti-masker who just died from COVID-19 has set up a GO FUND ME page, I've included a link to it below becuase I'm sure other vocal Anti-maskers might be interested in giving her a dig out.

His wife had said he initially refused to get tested for coronavirus.

"He was so hard-headed. He didn't want to see a doctor, because he didn't want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests," she explained.

Wallace founded the "San Angelo Freedom Defenders" and organized a July "Freedom Rally" for those "sick of the government being in control of our lives."

Wallace, who was 30, leaves behind three children and a pregnant wife.

This Anti-masker is a real shaper, all image and zero core, when he eventually does throw a punch he knocks himself to the ground 😂

• Advertisement

Able to dress himself with clothes, go to an airport which is stressful enough with all the things you have to do. Pack, check-in in a long queue, airport security, wait for baggage pickup on the carousel, watch every bag, hoping your bag wouldn't get lost.

But loses it at having to wear a face mask. Life is tough for these eejits.

We don't actually know if he dressed himself 🤣

The under lying racism is strong in this one. The mask thing seems to have triggered and highlighted it in this case. Presumin his tat that he wanted to show is some anti-black pro-white brotherhood thingy.... Maybe a huge percentage of Anti-maskers are racists deep down under it all.

Afterall when one dons a mask to protect others from their droplets one cannot choose only white or only black.

The solution for them might be denial.

What's our plan for schools opening?

Dr John Campbell's latest video is about spread in schools. And it's eye opening.

He talks about this, a case with an unvaccinated teacher who took of their mask when reading to students.

Students still got infected, students in the first two rows were most at risk, despite other measures still in place, students had to wear face masks, desks were spaced out, classrooms using HEPA filters and windows and doors open.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/27/health/teacher-covid-students/index.html

He then went on to talk about masking reduces infection and not only masking, but testing students as well reduces infections some more.

Stutts frequently attended anti-mask and anti-vaccine rallies, and was a staunch critic of mask and vaccine mandates.

He had also mocked the Delta variant - he'd previously shared a meme saying, "Delta variant is just code for ‘too many of y’all aren’t scared anymore".

Stutts and his wife, who also contracted the virus, were rushed to the hospital on August 1 after a sudden drop in his oxygen levels.

In a Facebook post the same day, he admitted COVID is "very real," but doubled down on his anti mask views.

"I have ALWAYS contended that COVID was very real. It is a deadly bio-weapon perpetrated upon the people of the world by enemies foreign, and perhaps domestic," he wrote.

"Mandates and coercions DO NOT WORK especially when they come to us from a government that has repeatedly lied to the American People time and time again."

He also shared in another post on August 13 that he was going on a ventilator, but stressed that it was his decision.

"Listen to me please: I am making a decision to go on a ventilator. This is my OWN decision," he wrote.

What's our plan for schools opening?

Maskless for under 13's.

The EAG set out their stall with not enough evidence, again. Ive grabbed a few scrnshots from EAG meetings regarding lowering the age requirement below 13. Some of the excuses are appalling.

Luke O'Neill came out with his voice on masks for primary schools just this evening. A tad late if you ask me, so I'd question his motive though but truth is always welcome.

With buses soon to be back to 100% capacity, are there any good 99% filtration masks?

There has been a large scale study that was released earlier this year, that confirmed that while symptomatic illness and severe illness is very rare in children, they do get infected and spread the virus at roughly the same rate as adults.

AFAIK, the strategy for schools in Germany before the summer break included frequent testing, 2-3 tests per week for every kid in class. Antigen tests, which are most reliable 2 days after onset of symptoms, are a good tool for that. While they may not be precise enough on an individual level, they're a good indicator of what's going on on a class level.

There also have been ongoing arguments about improving ventilation in class rooms, and how to finance new air conditioning systems - including bizarre stories where parents of kids in Germany offered to donate new air con, and the bureaucracy rejected the offer, because they were not clear on how maintenance would be financed.

Solid source and intro to masking 12 and under for parents.

Serious drop in the AM's, wonder if a few of them might have overdosed on the horse and cow tabs, there missing out...😅

Blue surgical face masks are only 10% effective in preventing COVID infection, new study finds

The study in question.

A review is under way to examine if compulsory wearing of face masks to protect against Covid-19 in various settings, including schools, should be extended to children under the age of 13.

A spokesman for the patient watchdog, the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) revealed yesterday it has been asked by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) to examine the latest evidence on the minimum age for wearing face masks.

Hiqa’s review will “provide advice on whether the current minimum age should be reduced”, the spokesman told the Irish Independent.

Face masks may be compulsory for children at primary schools if experts agree.

• Advertisement

Any of the Anti-maskers on here bullying young children?

Gav Reilly snookers Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan into answering a mask question......

Regarding effectiveness of different mask types: studies that compare effectiveness of different types of masks do not mean that masks mandates are nonsensical, because some masks are less effective than others.

They imply that mask mandates should be modified, to require the most effective type of mask.

Which has already happened in some places, like in some federal states in Germany, where specific mask types are not only legally required (for public indoor settings), but also where pharmacies have started giving out a limited number (two per person, IIRC) of these masks for free.

If that's not the cat out of the bag regarding U12's I don't know what is.

What study would HIQA have used for this?

No more masks indoors and outdoors from October 22.

I'm not very happy with this at all. Herd immunity is impossible, even with vaccines, we're all getting covid.

Very early on, we learned that masks reduce the viral load and we don't get it as bad. So why get rid of masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where are you reading that?

On The Journal it reported:

Beyond 22 October there will still be a statutory requirement to wear masks in healthcare settings, indoor retail and public transport.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There's many more places that are not a healthcare setting, retail or public transport. Does this mean there's no requirement for offices and other workplaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are still drafting the guidelines on workplaces, it may not be a statutory requirement but could it come in as health and safety requirement?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Knowing how we operate, it's all about social distancing. We're getting rid of distancing on October 22 as well. So not sure about other workplaces which makes me very worried.

Advertisement