Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

Options
1656667686971»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yeah our local dunnes had not a hint of Christmas last Saturday which was before new years. Even the coke cans and dairy gold packaging was back to normal.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was in the local Lidl and SuperValu this morning and both had plenty of Christmas stock left, but apart from the Christmas puddings and some out of date trifle sponges, very little of it was reduced. Do they really think someone will pay full price for an Advent Calendar in January??

Lidl did have 2 boxes of the Deluxe Stollen left, but at €6.50 (I think), I'll be waiting to see if it goes half price before buying more treats that I don't need!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last year my local Lidl had a good few Christmas bits knocking around all year.

I think their handy for filling the shelves of their big shops.

That stollen is gorgeous. But at full price you'd need some justification in January given most of us still have piles of treats left as it is.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

There were ‘new year’ fresh turkeys available in my local SV up until NYE. Only catch was that they went off the day after. Hmmmmmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah stop- that's ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I always thought that the use by date on raw meat was the date it had to be cooked by.

Then once it was cooked you had whatever amount of days to eat it as you normally would have for that cut of meat.

Something to do with amount of bacteria that could potentially grow while raw versus the amount of bacteria that will be killed during cooking.

Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Oh yeah I’d imagine it can be cooked and eaten after the date shown or else it could be frozen after buying it and cooked later. My point was that super valu were , in my opinion, passing off traditional Christmas dinner meat as New Year’s Day dinner meat. The turkeys sold Xmas week had those dates on them. My post was kinda jokingly related to people above wondering if Xmas food:sweets were still available.

You're correct. Heard this very thing from.a butcher previously.

That's true, but still doesn't stop them selling something with a use by date of tomorrow at full price and marketing them as 'new year' Turkeys. 🙈

SuperValu should be done under the trade descriptions act. The value is not super!

• Advertisement

Personally wouldn't chance poultry on its actual use by date anyway. Got food poisoning one from poultry so wouldn't risk it again.

Charging full price is a bit of a cheek too.

Stoop, I think that's why so many people end up with dry turkeys- the fear of poisoning everyone makes you cook to for an extra hour, just to be safe! 😂

Meat thermometer is my best friend for Christmas turkey.

Though to be fair the cooking time on the stickers on the ones we've gotten the last couple of years have been spot on.

Yeah, the Tesco ones give the exact cooking time. It's so handy!

I think I'll get a digital meat thermometer this Christmas. I deserve an upgrade. 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I need to order one as my old one went missing last year. Made cooking way more stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Santa brought a Meater one for OH. Will be used on the bbq over-the-counter summer and then with the bird next Christmas.

Is this the famous stollen? The birthday elf loves stollen so I just picked this up for €3.99.

That's the 'upmarket' one 😆... usually around €6.50 or so. I thought it was delish. You can really taste the rum in it.

Lidl have favorina ones as well that are usually around the €3.50 mark, you can get them with or without marzipan. They come in a white wrapper without a box.

I was looking for the fancy one. Usually get the favorina one but wanted to try the rum one you were all talking about. Only 3.99 today and it is delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Noooo, I didn't need to know that it's now nearly half price! I don't think I need to go to Lidl until Thursday and if they still have some then, I'll see it as a sign.

I think they are best before the end of January, but I have eaten them months after the best before date and they still tasted lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well this is interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I saw 1kg bags of mini eggs in Tesco for 18 euro. I might just have to get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I let out an audible gasp!🤣 My husband will love this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BK5

Bah Humbug!!! Easter!?! It just gets earlier and earlier every year! 😄

I saw the 1kg bags in Dunnes as well. I saw it as it fell into my trolley…. 👀👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BK5

I know @DvB will like this, opened a box of Black Magic the other night that we were given over Christmas, felt so 80's retro.

Ah yes, love dark chocolate. We got a box of black magic as well and whilst not what they used to be are still nice.

Advertisement