Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also galaxy selection boxes are superior to cadburys any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Tbf Cadburys is dire now as are most of the others. I bought myself a box of Green and Blacks mini selection so I hope they are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Green and blacks stuff is usually good quality.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Cadbury now own Green & Blacks! But their choc is still nice 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good lord those Lidl Pigs in Blankets crisps are horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just had this baileys ice cream on the side of some baileys cheesecake for dessert tonight. Delicious but a bit too much baileys for a dessert haha.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was trimming the fat off the ham this morning, before I glazed it. Salted the crap out of it, and put it in a hot oven for 2 hours. Holy crap, it was like pork candy. Amazing. What an addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cadbury is ruined unfortunately. Was so so. Good, but u didn't spend a cent with them this year. Can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The tubs did sell out this year. Normally they'd be loads of Quality Street left in my town.

I've Cadburys chocolate stocking from Australia but I suppose it will be the same.

• Advertisement

I put baileys whipped cream on baileys cheesecake... delish!

Have had that icecream before and it definitely has a stronger taste of baileys than the whipped cream though so could see why it might be baileys overload!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Australian chocolate normally tastes like muck as it has addatives to stop it melting too quickly.

Tesco selling off all leftover Christmas chocs and biscuits at half price including metal tins of QS. I did seem the clearing the shelves quick enough so I imagine today will be the last day of cheap chocolates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Stumbled across large 337g boxes of Lindt balls for €2.85 in Superdrug today, strangely the smaller boxes were more expensive.

They are tenner on offer normally...

Think I'm all chocolated out now unfortunately... 😀

In my defence, my capacity for savoury junkfood is tenfold that of chocolate based confectionery, I can't eat that much chocolate at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

Someone gave me a massive box of Leonidas as a gift! My god they are gorgeous. Trying to limit myself to 3 a day. I got a huge bar of Tony Chocolonely off someone else. Trying to ration it all out. I haven't eaten a sweet from any of the tubs since November (we got through a few tubs in work). I think I've become a real chocolate snob. I only want the likes of the aforementioned or Aine handmade chocs ;-) Between that and having to have my tea from a china cup I've really become a tea and chocolate connoisseur ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Freeze them and take them out a few at a time. Love them. Would usually bring a massive box home but a family member has a massive sugar overeating problem so I didn't this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got a few boxes of the American Import Sour Patch Kids

Made a mistake and got Toxic Waste. Sour is not the word but they are tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Leonidas is proper chocolate. Don't get me wrong I'll eat Cadbury nestle whatever but proper Belgium chocolate is different level. I love C'ote d'Or. Gorgeous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Think you are wrong there maybe? Mondelez own them about ten years. They also own Cadbury.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You're right, apologies. I was convinced it was Nestlè the last time I ate it (that's why I stopped eating it), but it's very likely a false memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

I must look up Cote D'or. Can't picture that. Never occurred to me about freezing anything. I love as well just taking a lucky dip with the Leonidas and not knowing what the sweet is! Yeah, it really is proper chocolate :) the others like Cadburys etc just taste like a bag of sugar once you've got the taste for the higher quality stuff.

Edit: just reading about freezing chocolate. That's amazing. Never even thought yoi could and it can extend the life so long! Thanks, @Caranica :)

Post edited by A cup of te on

Just had a bit of a cookies and cream bar from a galaxy selection box, their chocolate is definitely nicer than cadburys now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Haven't opened mine yet. Hoping to keep it for those days when I reeeeaaaallly need a bit of nice chocolate.

Finally got around to opening my Rum & Marzipan deluxe stollen I got in Lidl before Christmas, had never seen this one before & I have to say if they get it back in next year I'll be getting it again, it was absolutely divine. Ended up having a second slice. Its a little smaller than their normal Favorina one, and about €2 more expensive (c. €5.50) but worth it in my opinion.

The amount of treats we still have is shocking though. We even have the Christmas Pud that was bought for Christmas Day but with all the other dessert options never got touched. Have mince pies too, and more chocolate & crisps than I realised as we had some put away that we only discovered last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I got one of those Stollens last year, or possibly the year before, so I think they do have them every year. They get them in closer to Christmas than the regular ones. I think I even managed to nab one that was reduced after Christmas too. I must check my local Lidl at the weekend to see if they have any left!!

I was in Dunnes earlier and not even a sniff of a mince pie or Christmas chocolate lying around.

• Advertisement

Dunnes move on VERY quickly from Christmas treats. Tesco might have a single shelf of discounted chocolate knocking around for another week if you’re lucky.

Advertisement