Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a female-body-language to Manglish translator please

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What with all the DEMANDING OF NUMBERS.

If I like a girl I'd tell her and give her my number.

That's very reasonable and measured.

Balls in her court then
    ....well that escalated quickly!

You should be waiting to get a response from her before putting your balls anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wibbs wrote: »
    Stand nearby licking your eyebrows. That tends to do the trick.

I tried that. It doesn't work.

Took years of practice.....and waiting on the eyebrows to grow down past the tip of my nose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

She said you can't have her number..what else are you expecting her to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Maybe she felt awkward or embarrassed at work . Next time you go in just give her your number, make a joke of it and say well you cant give me your number but i can give you mine. Leave it with her then, if she is interested in you she will message you and if not she wont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

messrs wrote: »
    Maybe she felt awkward or embarrassed at work . Next time you go in just give her your number, make a joke of it and say well you cant give me your number but i can give you mine. Leave it with her then, if she is interested in you she will message you and if not she wont!

The OP clearly lacks the social skills to pull it off without making her feel awkward or embarrassed. She was literally shaking (albeit 'adorably' :rolleyes: ) last time he had a go. If he persists, she might perceive him as a pest. He should move on and at least try and learn from the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Tell ya what, my romantic history has consisted largely of making a b@lls of the first attempt.

People can be shy, awkward, caught off guard: she could be fuming, backstage, saying to herself, "Why did I just go all red and fumble-handed? He's actually quite nice. Maybe he'll ask again."

OP -- I'd say you are allowed one more polite chance at this: a real approach, not some corny pick-up line. Just the one shot.

Try "Hello. *smile* I'm sorry if I embarrassed you the other day by asking for your phone number. I meant it though: would you like to join me for a cup of coffee after work? In that café over there?" (Or whatever - someplace public, unthreatening.)

Faint heart never won fair lady. Go for it and best of luck.

PS Edited to add: I forgot about the mask thing. Of course, briefly hold it aside so that she can see your sincere smile. How does she know you're not an axe-murderer?

PPS I don't think it's unusual to fancy someone you see doing their job. Respect that, but still, ask her out. Sincerity wins.

To be fair, all the poor girl probably saw of the OP was a pair of eyes over a mask asking for her number (or potentially interpreting it as looking for the actual pharmacists number )

Why would she give her number to someone she hasn't even seen, or even had a basic chat with. People don't just go on a date with a face even on tinder, they look for a bit of info first, and to see if there's a click. In this case they didn't even see face, for all she knows she might be dealing with some boney arsed bogman.

I think the OP doesn't understand people and is probably smells too hard of want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

It's best to arouse her interest rather than the other way round

How you do that:

You go in and out of the shop for a while and she notices you.

You don't say or do anything outside of please and thank you .

You project your sexiness and availability non- verbally until she expresses an interest in you

Only in Ireland would you be taken apart for asking a girl out.
    I think people's reaction to this scenario says more about the mystery that is the Irish 'dating' scene.

Believe it or not, some women like a direct approach from a man who actually asks her out - I have been attracted to lots of Irish men, but have never gone out with one, because I could never figure out what's going on in their minds. Most foreign men will actually tell you if they find you attractive. It's weird at first, but nice.

OP, without being there, I can't really say what she thinks, but fair play to you for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What kind of weirdo asks for a girls number while she is at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think people's reaction to this scenario says more about the mystery that is the Irish 'dating' scene.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking a woman out. But for the love of jaysis don't do it while she's at work. That was the issue here.

And, y'know, if she says no, accept it. I hate this idea - which seems alarmingly widespread - that romantic endeavours are essentially a war of attrition and that it's a perfectly valid tactic to essentially pester a woman into agreeing to go out with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking a woman out. But for the love of jaysis don't do it while she's at work. That was the issue here.

And, y'know, if she says no, accept it. I hate this idea - which seems alarmingly widespread - that romantic endeavours are essentially a war of attrition and that it's a perfectly valid tactic to essentially pester a woman into agreeing to go out with you.

It's the ying to the yang of the matrimonial nagging yet to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Believe it or not, some women like a direct approach from a man who actually asks her out - I have been attracted to lots of Irish men, but have never gone out with one, because I could never figure out what's going on in their minds. Most foreign men will actually tell you if they find you attractive. It's weird at first, but nice.

OP, without being there, I can't really say what she thinks, but fair play to you for trying.

Thanks! All the demonisation in the thread is ridiculous and I'm not buying any of it. It was a really nice moment I felt, despite the awkwardness. I think she got a nice confidence boost out of it and if I bump into her again outside of work I will apologise for putting her on the spot and maybe give her my number as some suggested earlier in the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Asking a girl out is now creepy, disturbing and weird??
    I am glad I am not in that scene anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Asking a girl out is now creepy, disturbing and weird??
    I am glad I am not in that scene anymore.

No. Not taking her answer is creepy. Not asking a girl our.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No. Not taking her answer is creepy. Not asking a girl our.

How did he not take her answer?
    I didn't realise he was back pestering her.

This thread is nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

If something you have said makes another person's face go bright red and their hands shake and them to laugh nervously, you have made a mistake.
    And if you can't understand why it would be insane to go and say the same thing to the girl again you really don't understand human behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JayZeus wrote: »
    A gentleman would know not to put her in that position in her place of work. You just backed her into a corner there. That’s a dick move.

not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loud giggle = "You said something that made me really uncomfortable and I don't know how to react, so I'll laugh to try and defuse any tension"

"We can't hand those out" = "Nobody has ever said we can't, but I don't want to"

No response to your next question, shaking hands = "I am absolutely mortified that this has happened and I am terrified that this guy is going to keep talking to me and won't shut the fvck up and fvck off instead"

HTH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bollocks. That is a clear sign of discomfort. If a woman is interested when you ask for her number she will say yes and give it to you. Anything else is a resounding 'NO!'.

Bollocks. No woman with even a modicum of concern for her personal safety will just give her number to someone who asks for it.
    Seriously, what are ye like?
    Bloke rucks up to the counter where a woman works, ask for her phone number in a hamtfisted way and people think she'll just hand over her number to a complete stranger based on his looks?!?

Coffee - in a public place. Find out a bit about this stranger then decide if she feels safe enough she might give them her number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    Asking a girl out is now creepy, disturbing and weird?? I am glad I am not in that scene anymore.

Exactly. Some of the replies here are baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Jeez, have you always had a rod up your ass? You reek of beta male.

And suddenly everything makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

1st mistake was when you doubted yourself and then asked in here,i say fair play all she can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you're a handsome millionaire then it's extremely romantic.

If you're a blue collared worker of average attractiveness then you're a creep.

Advertisement