Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace group texting

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

My most hated 4 letters GDPR, I wish it would just disappear.

I have access to everything at work from my personal devices, if I need to do something for work and my personal laptop is within reach I will just use it as I have everything on it thats on my work one - full file access, email, calenders, software packages etc. Was the same in my previous job, in fact I didn't like the work laptop they gave me so I used my personal one for all my work.

I must live a in a different world to many here as the a lot of what people do would annoy me if I had to do it, I prefer a smooth co-existence between work and home and hate all that crap with "work devices" and "personal devices" and no cross over, pretending your work disappeared at 6 just because you went home, refusing to answer an email or text and so on. It's just part of life to me and I'm very gland to have large flexibility in return with being able to do personal stuff on work time, WFH when I want (prior to covid) etc etc.

Maybe it’s being from a farming background where work and life are so close and you are never really able to forget about it that influences how I look at off farm work too. I give up a lot of my free time working on the farm at home, I very much enjoy it though.

Exceptionally poor form imo not to answer the phone like that, I bet you felt a right fool when it turned out they were contacting you to tell you to catch a flight.

I just could not act like that but then again I feel a bit of responsibility towards my job and company I work for. Were I your manager I would never forget that incident and it would definitely influence decisions regarding promotions etc.

Not at all. It is at my discretion if I answer a work related call or not on a week off, it should not be expected (which was the issue as I had facilitated queries in such scenarios in the past). My former manager as part of their duties was paid to manage resources be it manpower and/or equipment. In my instance the week off was selected for me due to the sheer amount of time off in lieu that was built up (so that it would be used up rather than a during a business busy period). Presumably that week was selected due to lack of business need. Its not my problem if said manager has overlooked resource need depending on what is occurring in the business as that is their responsibility and that is what they are paid to manage.

If anything it would show the short comings of a manager (such as not being able to manage their own resources, not considering other available options such as other engineer availability, jumping on the plane himself or deferring the project by a working day). Instead they determined the best course of action was to cross a boundary and ring the personal mobile of a member of staff whose work mobile was not answered.

Instead they were bullish about the matter expecting a member of staff to drop everything during their time off, cut their leave short to faciliate the business (obtain equipment, sort travel and mobilise to a foreign location) which would have required me to effectively work a Sunday for yet more time in lieu. In addition due to their poor interpersonal skills they also managed to burn a bridge with an employee who did afford flexibility to the business. Its give and take with flexibility in a work scenario however some employers only take and rarely give anything back to employees who are flexible.

Thankfully, I doubt your approach would lend itself well to any meaningful managerial role and your approach is akin to the Victorian era. Management is more than just the whipping the employee expecting them to jump to every business need in order to appease management. To be an effective manager you also need communication and negotiation skills. If the approach was more professional, awareness of boundaries and considerate it could be facilitated. You seem to have limited life experience it's not all black and white employees will have other considerations outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Not at all. It is at my discretion if I answer a work related call or not on a week off, it should not be expected (which was the issue as I had facilitated queries in such scenarios in the past). My former manager as part of their duties was paid to manage resources be it manpower and/or equipment. In my instance the week off was selected for me due to the sheer amount of time off in lieu that was built up (so that it would be used up rather than a during a business busy period). Presumably that week was selected due to lack of business need. Its not my problem if said manager has overlooked resource need depending on what is occurring in the business as that is their responsibility and that is what they are paid to manage.

If anything it would show the short comings of a manager (such as not being able to manage their own resources, not considering other available options such as other engineer availability, jumping on the plane himself or deferring the project by a working day). Instead they determined the best course of action was to cross a boundary and ring the personal mobile of a member of staff whose work mobile was not answered.

Instead they were bullish about the matter expecting a member of staff to drop everything during their time off, cut their leave short to faciliate the business (obtain equipment, sort travel and mobilise to a foreign location) which would have required me to effectively work a Sunday for yet more time in lieu. In addition due to their poor interpersonal skills they also managed to burn a bridge with an employee who did afford flexibility to the business. Its give and take with flexibility in a work scenario however some employers only take and rarely give anything back to employees who are flexible.

Thankfully, I doubt your approach would lend itself well to any meaningful managerial role and your approach is akin to the Victorian era. Management is more than just the whipping the employee expecting them to jump to every business need in order to appease management. To be an effective manager you also need communication and negotiation skills. If the approach was more professional, awareness of boundaries and considerate it could be facilitated. You seem to have limited life experience it's not all black and white employees will have other considerations outside work.

"I couldn't get hold of him to ask if he can go on a work trip next week". "Why?" "He's on his holidays right now".

End of story tbh.

Advertisement