Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you don't see the difference between an international representative competition and a professional club competition then there's no point continuing this argument.

By the way, dundalk succeeded to get into the champions league by winning their league and coming through the qualifiers.

The champions league is 32 teams from a possible 79....(40%) So easier to see that even the champions league is more "elite" than the champions Cup

What exactly did dragons, saints or montpellier win to qualify for the HC?
    What did they succeed at?

If you include all the professional teams playing division 2 in England and France and the semi-professional teams in other countries it’d be the same argument.
    Clearly it’s the top 8 teams in the 3 top leagues in europe, therefore by definition it is the European elite.
    You could argue it’s not elite enough for you personally, but that’s your opinion isn’t it, not a fact really worth arguing about.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you include all the teams playing division 2 in England and France it’s be the same argument.

And if my aunt had balls.....

And if my aunt had balls.....

The point is it is you who have not included those teams by your own thought process, whereas in fact those are teams that are not included because they are not the elite teams.
    Sigh

Benetton vs Agen cancelled now due to covid in Benetton

The point is it is you who have not included those teams by your own thought process, whereas in fact those are teams that are not included because they are not the elite teams.
    Sigh

No I haven't

a team in the championship or pro d2 can't qualify for the champions Cup, so your point is dead from the outset.

Taking that same logic I could add another 100 teams to the champions league argument to make it even more "elite" in comparison, but the logic is flawed so I don't.

The HC, especially this year, is a pan European rugby competition.... But its certainly not "elite" at this 24 team pool stage

• Advertisement

No I haven't

a team in the championship or pro d2 can't qualify for the champions Cup, so your point is dead from the outset.

Taking that same logic I could add another 100 teams to the champions league argument to make it even more "elite" in comparison, but the logic is flawed so I don't.

The HC, especially this year, is a pan European rugby competition.... But its certainly not "elite" at this 24 team pool stage

Elite means the top teams.
    The teams playing are the top teams.

Who are these other teams that are better?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Some come down now with Sale v Edinburgh, no offence to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Munster winning away to Clermont.

A team that isn’t considered Elite anymore beating a team that is elite from start to finish. Sport and entertainment at its finest.

The underdog coming out on top. Wall to wall superstar versus some homegrown west cork dog pulling.

Being down a man and down on the scoreboard and somehow finding a way.

And some people say we shouldn’t have games like this because it’s not elite or because we should bow down to a virus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And some people say we shouldn’t have games like this because it’s not elite or because we should bow down to a virus.

I didn't see anyone say Munster and Clermont aren't amongst the elite, or that this game shouldn't go ahead; there were no cases within either camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Edinburgh gone from 12-0 down to lead 12-13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

What a bizarre day of referee-TMO interactions.

Strangest ending to a game I've seen in a while. Edinburgh going side to side, borderline sealing off at each ruck, all within kickable penalty range. Sale not jackaling at all when they know exactly where each breakdown is going to be and the game is on the line. Braindead stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Felt like watching a challenge cup game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

aloooof wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone say Munster and Clermont aren't amongst the elite, or that this game shouldn't go ahead; there were no cases within either camp.

In all fairness it’s pretty difficult for the organisers to factor in future covid outbreaks into their thinking when deciding what to do this season.

They made the decision to run a European competition between European teams by removing the fixtures that pitted teams against teams from their own league, thereby ensuring no repeat of domestic fixtures.

Imagine if quins were playing tonight against Bristol in a European competition and they play against again next weekend, or the same for Clermont and Toulon.

What’s taking place this year in European rugby isn’t ideal, but is pretty ****ing entertaining.

Felt like watching a challenge cup game

Hopefully the 24 team comp is a once-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

For the quarter finals I presume you can play someone from your own country yeah? No issues there?

For the quarter finals I presume you can play someone from your own country yeah? No issues there?

Yup

Anyone got a link to quins v racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to quins v racing

have heard tell of many people looking for a Stream2Watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Quins are brutal

Synode wrote: »
    Quins are brutal

Phenomenally stupid team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ashton is such a gowl.

Laughing at the end as a Quins consolation try is ruled out for him dragging Thomas down by the neck, off the ball.

How many teams already out might have a heap of players self isolating in mid January leaving them unable to fulfil fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭bennyl10

42 saying racing win eliminates Clermont?
    I can’t see it

bennyl10 wrote: »
    42 saying racing win eliminates Clermont?
    I can’t see it

Clermont win last 2 games they are above Munster although BPs could make that tricky. Munster denying them a LBP could be crucial

Their 2 games are against the two teams either side of them so they are definitely not out

Exeter used to be a likeable club.

But they seem to be a club full of crackpot now

https://twitter.com/IssieAtch/status/1340569564967542785?s=19

Some Exeter Chiefs players making bizarre statements on social media and now their coach

Had huge respect for them for what they achieved but thats gone.

https://twitter.com/LinebreakRugby/status/1340585312897134593?s=19

Apophenia is a real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Time to relegate Exeter and bring Saracens back. All is forgiven.

Advertisement