Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just tried to buy a membership and the money was taken but no membership was purchased. This is the second time now for me, has it happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ECookie13

What is the 3 plans they reference? is it another way of saying 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was thinking it meant 3 separate SIMs at €6.50 each.

Hmm interesting, it likely needs clarification and getting it in writing from them. I wonder if is it "for life" also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's probably 6.50 for first 3 "months" bought, they don't have to be consecutive months, buy in June, skip July, buy in Aug, skip Sept, buy in Oct. The Oct plan will cost 6.50. Thereafter plan costs 12.99.

AFAIK, the activation fee is still applied, that has to be factored in to overall cost.

They're doing their best to make it as awkward as possible, well done to them on that achievement.

Post edited by Ten Pin on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

It's your first three topups/memberships. In writing, not very ambiguous or clumsy.

https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions

59 48 €12.99 plan discount for three plans promotion May 2023 (“Promotion”)

1. The following Terms and Conditions for the Promotion are in addition to the 48 terms of service at https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions and the €12.99 plan (the “plan”) terms at https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details.

2. Your right to avail of the Promotion (eligibility) is exclusively subject to you ordering a 48 SIM as a new customer between 30th May 2023 and 31st August 2023 and buying your first plan before 14th September 2023 and your second and third plans within 90 days of expiry of the previous plan purchased (“Eligible Plan Discount Period”). The Promotion excludes all other 48 price plans.

3. Subject to the above, during the Eligible Top Up Discount Period, 48 customers on the plan will receive a discount on the plan calculating at €6.50 for their first three consecutive plan purchases. The standard plan activation top up amount of €12.99 shall apply after expiry of the Eligible Plan Discount Period.

4. Before 5th July 2023, your plan lasts from the date of purchase until midnight at the end of the same date in the next month (the anniversary date). So, if you buy a plan on 30th of May 2023 you will need to buy your next plan on the 30th of June 2023. With effect from 5th July 2023, 48 plan allowances will expire after 4 weeks so you are advised to purchase your 48 plan every 4 weeks to continue to receive the 48 plan benefits.

5. Three Ireland Services (Hutchison) Limited trading as 48 reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions or discontinue this Promotion (or any part of it) for valid commercial technical or operational reasons, subject to reasonable notice being provided

Yeah, I think it just means months. Their support is useless, it's like they're intentionally being vague.

EDIT: Yeah, its 100% intentionally being vague to trick people. Their support basically confirmed its 3 months after so many messages, what a shady company.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MobileTester

I am in Spain now and this is what I am getting now. Movistar 5G on 2600 MHz. Very fast. Sometimes it drops to 4G/4G+ only.

48 also logs in to Vodafone ES but then 4G only so I manualy forced my phone to Movistar.

I ordered new sim before my trip and using it now however I had to manualy add APN for 206 01 provider

Post edited by MobileTester on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

Was in Newry and Banbridge yesterday, neither himself nor myself could get data to work on our 48 Sims. I went through all the tricks, to no avail.

Funnily enough, himself carries a clear mobile SIM too, and that wouldn't roam either.

When I switch to international profile, the APN changes to proximus.be - is that correct, does anyone know?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement

It is not correct. Set up such APN as on those pics and will be working fine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They must've changed them, so. IIRC, the last time I "spoke" with them I was told to use proximus.

Proximus never worked for me. With my APN I have had 48 Roaming for last 2-3 yrs no probs

Thanks MobileTester,

Is that the same as the "home" APN? When I switch to international profile, I'll have to enter this manually - every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭feargantae

Proximus is a Belgian phone network, why would that be used for roaming in the North of Ireland?? I've never roamed with a 48 sim so no idea how it works

No idea, I did see the proximus settings before, when I first signed up to 48 (and wasn't roaming)

That was my question to them when I was roaming nowhere near Belgium.

Similar to home APN but different provider: 206 01 (as on my screenshot above). This is MCC for Proximus Belgium but APN for 48months.liffeytelecom.com

48 basically uses Belgian provider in roaming (the same story is with Tesco Mobile).

Gipi - yes, you will have to set up everytime once you log in to the new country but if you come back to the same country with the same phone and the same sim it will be recognize automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭feargantae

Not to derail the thread or anything but why would 48 use a Belgian phone network when roaming even if not in Belgium? I was there with my 3 sim and the only network that seemed to work for me was the Virgin Media/Liberty Global owned BASE network so assuming that's their roaming partner for Belgium.

I've a burner €7.99 sim so I'll have to test it myself and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Gomo now having a sly dig at 48 for the price increase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

a Guaranteed higher price - what a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is Gomo on a calendar month cycle or a 28 day cycle? Putting aside the legacy cheaper rates, currently new 48 customers would be spending €13 x 13 months = €169. New Gomo would be €15x12 which is €180.

They charge monthly. Always 1st day of each month. For €11/annualy more you get WiFi calling + VoLTE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And 5G and hassle free roaming. Flaxio is correct, not everyone is on the 7.99 so it's important to compare current market prices. I have a 7.99 sim which I tried a few months without porting but roaming and reception drops got me and felt it wasn't worth any money. For the current full price, 48 is not worth it compared to gomo and I'm paying 14.99 to gomo rather than 7.99 to 48.

Number one criteria for any operator is "does it work" for everything ie data, roaming etc. This rules out 48, Tesco, lyca and postmobile for me

Post edited by TheDriver on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

Complaint lodged with 48.Suprised that the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland(ASAI) has had only 2 complaints.Can't see Comreg stoping 48

I logged a complaint aswell after Irish Independent article. Cannot believe there is only 2.

Anyway, I still haven't got any email from 48 that they are changing from monthly to 28 days... maybe they will give up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭amber2

Just emailed also re billing period changes and complained re roaming as agent told us to purchase a sim from a local provider to get service when abroad recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

It appears to me to be a special for 3 months then increased to the current rate of e12.99 With a sign up fee of e6.50 isn't it a credit of e13.00? It will become a 28 day after the 5 July.Nothing attractive about it - I've had credits from 48 before.New customers(not many now)might go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm getting 1mbps down and 15mbps up

Would that be a problem with the network ?

Was alright up to today

Checking it there on speedtest it's 50mbps down and then test again it's 3mbps down ?

Post edited by kirk. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

It's probably three doing upgrades. I've had similar issues the last few days on both 48 and three. Was watching Disney last night and it kept pixelating every few mins

Advertisement